Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:09 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Originally Posted by walkermat
cheers jelli! found an exact replacement (yes, sad i know )..

Sold my cbr600f here for £2400 with 10100 miles on the clock. All equates to $5800 and 16250kms

One i found was $7495 and 23980kms. So, bikes are more expensive there. By a lot!

I think we found that the R1 is around £1500 cheaper in aussie but then there are all the extra taxes ontop and stuff which no doubt take it back up to same as the UK price! I also think that the pre-owned second hand car and bike market is much higher than in the UK. We seem to ditch a thousand as soon as driving it off the forecourt - none of that crap in Aussie - they want their money's worth out of everything - which will be good news when coming to resell again!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jellibaby
I thought I might start this and see if I can keep it going!

We have now sold our R1's in the UK and hope to get a couple of new ones at the beginning of 2008. OH wants the black one and I want the red and white one. We're shipping our Crowtrees and AGVs with our household stuff and want a house rental with a garage to keep them secure.

We have noticed that the prices for the accessories which are genuine Yam for example are way higher in Aussie! We are going to buy some Yam crash bungs in the UK before we go and OH has already purchased a tank protector from Motographix, although I won't be so lucky with the red and white version as its got a decal right down the front of the tank so I reckon it will have to be a clear tank pad if I'm to keep the styling on the tank!

Couple of things for you bikers to think about:

1) Is anyone shipping their beloved machines and why?
2) Considering your future Aussie location what are your feelings on wearing leathers?
3) Does anyone know of any good biker cafe's - meet-ups - popular biker haunts?
4) Is anyone planning on a trip down to Philip Island next year?
5) Any Aussies got any tips for haggling the prices of new / used bikes down?

Happy riding where-ever you may be!

Hi Jellibaby,
Im a ventureshield (paint protection film, as used by WSB, BSB, Moto GP & the F1 boys) dealer in sheff, just goin to fit a full paint protection kit to an R1 now, send us a pm if you want any more details or prices.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

Mat said:

Sold my cbr600f here for £2400 with 10100 miles on the clock. All equates to $5800 and 16250kms

One i found was $7495 and 23980kms. So, bikes are more expensive there. By a lot!
Hmm. I have a funny feeling in my bones that i might have undersold my bike here. No wonder he was chuffed
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:28 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of
Default The Motorbike Thread

For those of you who are MotoGP followers, who might fancy a visit at some point to Philip Island - here's a great link for tickets, accomodation and much much more. Bound to get even more interesting with two Aussies top of the game now. http://motogp.com.au/default.aspx?s=pit_roof_village
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of

For those of you who are MotoGP followers, who might fancy a visit at some point to Philip Island - here's a great link for tickets, accomodation and much much more. Bound to get even more interesting with two Aussies top of the game now. http://motogp.com.au/default.aspx?s=pit_roof_village
OH god i wish I could be there, OH well maybe next year
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:00 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

For those in Aussie looking for used or new info on bikes try:

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/

or www.bikesales.com.au

anyone after a ZRX1100? We've got one for sale... she's a beauty!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:17 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

1) Is anyone shipping their beloved machines and why?
We shipped our Z650 chop, she's still in the garage waiting for engineers approval, roadworthy & rego. We've picked up a couple of bikes since being here.. 2 standard Z650s (both for chopping in different ways!), a ZRX1100 (standard) and a VT1100 engine, and other parts! (to be chopped)

2) Considering your future Aussie location what are your feelings on wearing leathers?
They do get hot - BUT i'd rather be a bit sweaty than not have any skin at all thanks.. I am gonna invest in some gortex gear at some point.. just for the summer.. but me n my leathers have done a fair few trips and rallies so I'm quite attached to them, but they are good for winter over here....

3) Does anyone know of any good biker cafe's - meet-ups - popular biker haunts?
Not sure about biker cafe's - popular biker haunts.. Mount Tamborine! Along with the boys in blue on a sunday morning!

2 good forums we've found and have met loads of guys from are www.choppersaustralia.com and streetfighters.com.au (mostly Poms on the streetfighters forum, coz the Aussies just don't seem to get streetfighters at all.. they look at them and scratch their heads!) Gold coast bike week was ok, and the Story Bridge Laverda Bike Show was good.

No

5) Any Aussies got any tips for haggling the prices of new / used bikes down?
Walk away......
We did and got a great deal! When hubby was buying ZRX we told the sales monkey our budget.. and there was a lot of haggling and too-ing and fro-ing.. in the end we just said that's our budget.. it's cash... and he said he couldn't do it for that price.. so we walked.. got about 5 paces out of the bike shop and the bloke called us back and did the deal!! Mint!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

Fantastic - power of the web!

We have shipped leathers but have heard of good stuff in Oz that will keep yer skin attached but also let the air in.... We are gonna wait until we are there to sus the area.

Bike is a toy but still want to do whole of Highway 1 on my CBR600. wow!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:58 pm
Emigrated 24/11/07

The one thing I learnt really early on after buying a set of one piece leathers is that no matter what the lining is like - they stick to you which makes moving around on the bike very uncomfortable. One of the best pieces of advice I got was to invest in some "silks". In the UK both me and the OH bought silks from Patra online. The come in black so don't look too bad - but it has to be said that they are quite THIN so if you're not careful girls - you'll be giving the boys a right eyeful if you strip off the leathers during a rest stop! Having said that, you might think that wearing full length silks (that's long sleeved t-shirt / vest style and long johns) would make you even hotter! It's NOT the case. They keep moisture away from the skin and stop your leathers sticking to your skin as they slide over the silks. OH is going for a new set before we leave the UK, and I fancy trying something different but in the same vein - SKINS which are Aussie compression sports clothing. They will do the same job I reckon but will be closer to the skin. I'm a bit of an in-between size for the silks and as I say they do give the lads a good flash! Stop-it..................
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:46 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

and as I say they do give the lads a good flash! Stop-it.................. [/QUOTE]

Photos please
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:48 am
Just Joined

matteegee is on a distinguished road

Does anybody have a rough price for shipping a bike?

I've had my R6 up for sale for a couple of weeks and haven't even had a sniff. I intend to see what the dealer will give me for it and weigh that up against shipping costs. If it's more economical to ship then I will. We leave in 6 weeks.

All I know so far is that I will have to pay 10% of the worth of the bike as import tax and as it's worth circa 4k that's 400 squid already.

What other costs are there?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:30 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matteegee
Does anybody have a rough price for shipping a bike?

I've had my R6 up for sale for a couple of weeks and haven't even had a sniff. I intend to see what the dealer will give me for it and weigh that up against shipping costs. If it's more economical to ship then I will. We leave in 6 weeks.

All I know so far is that I will have to pay 10% of the worth of the bike as import tax and as it's worth circa 4k that's 400 squid already.

What other costs are there?
I cant help on the costing involved, but the general rule of thumb is not to bother. Only If the bike is something special, or you will be losing serious money, its worth looking into.
On top of the tax, you also need to take into account the shipping costs, the bike also needs to tested be for roadworthyness, and you cannot use it on the road in Oz before that, so you need a trailer to get it there. It needs to pass the Oz tests, and if it has been modded, you might need to bring it back to its original state.

Try doing a search on the site, there are quite a few detailed posts about shipping bikes.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:38 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately i'm moving house next weekend, so I wont get the chance to go to the Moto GP this year, but next year i'll be there for definite. I only live about 125km from Philip Island, so i'll go down by bike.

There are a few on Britvics going, and a few friends of mine are going for 4 days !!

Because I cant go to Philip island, I will be travelling upcounrty in a few weeks to go on the snowy mountain ride in Thredbo : http://www.snowyride.com.au/
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:34 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

We looked into taking our R1s and decided that it would have been possible if we were taking a full container etc but as we were only taking around 20 boxes we thought the extra costs involved would not make it viable. Also there are loads and loads of second hand bikes out there already - most of them seem to be in good condition. Trouble is they are often NOT in the location you end up in! It can be a difficult call but the extra costs of shipping the bike just do not make it cost effective when you think of how much that extra cost could be added to a newer one in Aussie.

I sold mine on ebay - I did take a thousand his on it - but then it had 28000 miles on the clock and was def not worth shipping. I'd put all of those on it myself (04 R1) from new and even though I knew the history and that it had been dealer serviced - I still considered that buying a lower mileage / new R1 once out there was the best course of action. Plus it would have Aussie plates on it etc.

End of the day - its hard to let go a much loved machine, BUT think of the new one that's waiting for you to buy it!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SonicBird
or www.bikesales.com.au

anyone after a ZRX1100? We've got one for sale... she's a beauty!
Hi all I've just checked this site out,
I have a BMW R1100RT on a T plate 99 which i paid £3500 for with 27000 miles on the clock, there is a 96 model on there with 187 000 km on which i work out at about 100 000 miles and they want 10 800 dollars which i think is well over
£ 4000, CHRIST!! i think i might be taking mine with me, even if it's only to sell when i get there.
Ian....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.