Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:00 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Originally Posted by bigpaul
And you keep them away from the salty water etc down the coast!!!
I have to wash mine every week cos of the bloody dust !!!! Thats about the worst problem here.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

Originally Posted by furkew
I have to wash mine every week cos of the bloody dust !!!! Thats about the worst problem here.
Hi,

Can you tell me what its like commuting on a bike in Oz especially Melbourne? I've heard that they've made filtering illegal, is this true? Are they any other no-no's which are different to the UK?

Seems a bit of a waste if you cant filter down the middle of the traffic.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

The BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really nice

Originally Posted by furkew
Thanks BBs,

My ride is a Yamaha Warrior. (xv1700) Its a bit of a work in constant progress. I do like the Rockets, and they handle very good, and are a very powerful bike, but the Warrior is more manouverable in the twisties, and has a bit more grunt from a standing start.

Just an idea if you are looking at a cruiser, but the Yamaha Raider gets rave reviews all over the world if you are looking at a power cruiser. Its not yet available in OZ, but I believe it will be in the next few months.

You'll love riding down under. If you join a few websites, clubs then the possibilities are endless.
Unfortunately I have to go with the family back to Europe this year for a few weeks so my hols are used up for the year, but my buddies are riding from QLD/NWS/VIC to Perth. 5 days to get there, 2 days celebrating, and then back on the train. Will probably be about 20 riders altogether.

Heres a link to a trip we did last year to Walabadah in NSW (its the annual warrior meet) :

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/118328/958031.aspx#958031

Enjoy.
Hi furkew,

Wow! I am really impressed and full of envy! The Perth trip sounds absolutely fantastic. I wish I could be there to join them too! Families have to come first so I understand the frustration you must be going through! But that is exactly what I fancy doing when I am settled there and can accumulate some spare time.

I had not heard of the Yamaha Raider but checked it out on the net and have to say that it looks fantastic! Apparently it is only available in the USA though!? Well, according to MCN anyway! Check it out on this link: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...sermotorcycle/

I went to a Triumph dealer in Brisbane last April whilst validating our PR visas, and they had some great machines there. I like the new fully loaded Rocket III Touring but my heart is set on a classic because of the overall shape of the beast. It just looks purposeful and less cluttered. They are really heavy with the Touring being significantly heavier, so until I get the chance to test ride one in earnest I am not sure if I could handle it or whether I would have to settle for something a little lighter! Anyway, I guess that it has to remain a dream for the time being as I am still furiously trying to sell my house here in the UK but it is proving to be quite a challenge in these economic climates!

I bought my Triumph 955i last July from a guy who had turned it into what they call a street fighter! Don’t ask I am not into that sort of thing but it was immaculate and very well looked after! Luckily he had made a really good job of not disturbing the original parts too much and had kept all the fairings, mounting brackets, screws and handle bars so all I had to do was to get the headlight frame re-welded into it’s original shape, re-do the electrical wiring as it was intended and put it all back together again. It still has the wrong handle bars as I haven’t had the chance to reinstate the original ones but for the moment it suits me as it is a little higher and less tiring on the wrists when riding. I wanted to attach a piccie of it here but can't seem to find a way to do it! Never mind.

Thanks a million, take care and catch you soon.

Very best regards,

The BBs
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Hi all
I ride a prilla sxv 550 vtwin supermoto,and will not be riding it on the road!!!
I shall be parttaking in track days
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:48 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CosmicBertie
Hi,

Can you tell me what its like commuting on a bike in Oz especially Melbourne? I've heard that they've made filtering illegal, is this true? Are they any other no-no's which are different to the UK?

I dont commute myself, but I do ride about 10k a year, and from my experience so far here, its no different to anywhere in Europe. Eyes in your bum, and you will be fine.

Late splitting (filtering) is illegal, but I do it all the time, and it is accepted, but you will find some cars actually move across to impede you. I am not an agressvie rider, but I am a very confident rider (IMO) and that does definitely help. Its not for the light hearted sometimes. Also having LOUD pipes helps
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:55 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by The BBs
Hi furkew,

Wow! I am really impressed and full of envy! The Perth trip sounds absolutely fantastic. I wish I could be there to join them too! Families have to come first so I understand the frustration you must be going through! But that is exactly what I fancy doing when I am settled there and can accumulate some spare time.

I had not heard of the Yamaha Raider but checked it out on the net and have to say that it looks fantastic! Apparently it is only available in the USA though!? Well, according to MCN anyway! Check it out on this link: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...sermotorcycle/

I went to a Triumph dealer in Brisbane last April whilst validating our PR visas, and they had some great machines there. I like the new fully loaded Rocket III Touring but my heart is set on a classic because of the overall shape of the beast. It just looks purposeful and less cluttered. They are really heavy with the Touring being significantly heavier, so until I get the chance to test ride one in earnest I am not sure if I could handle it or whether I would have to settle for something a little lighter! Anyway, I guess that it has to remain a dream for the time being as I am still furiously trying to sell my house here in the UK but it is proving to be quite a challenge in these economic climates!

I bought my Triumph 955i last July from a guy who had turned it into what they call a street fighter! Don’t ask I am not into that sort of thing but it was immaculate and very well looked after! Luckily he had made a really good job of not disturbing the original parts too much and had kept all the fairings, mounting brackets, screws and handle bars so all I had to do was to get the headlight frame re-welded into it’s original shape, re-do the electrical wiring as it was intended and put it all back together again. It still has the wrong handle bars as I haven’t had the chance to reinstate the original ones but for the moment it suits me as it is a little higher and less tiring on the wrists when riding. I wanted to attach a piccie of it here but can't seem to find a way to do it! Never mind.

Thanks a million, take care and catch you soon.

Very best regards,

The BBs
I do like quite a few of the new Triumphs, and the street triple (streetfighter) is a very nice bike. I also have a bit of a love affair with the KTM supermotard 990, but my wet dream is the new VMAX

All I need is $35k and i'll be laughing. (The blacked out version) We all have dreams
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:23 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

As furkew said - everybody filters. There's no specific law against it, but I've heard of people being done for 'undertaking' or 'sharing the same lane' etc whilst filtering so it's a bit of a grey area. Having said that there's a part of the rules of the road which states it's LEGAL for a motorbike to undertake and/or share the same lane 'as long as it's safe to do so'. Which makes it even more of a grey area! There's lots of discussion on the matter on Aussie biking forums.

Basically, be sensible whilst filtering and you'll be fine. I reckon you'd only get booked if a copper considered your riding to be abnormally aggressive/dangerous.

I'm on my P's (33 years old mind, but that's another story...) and commute in Sydney. No problems really. Looking forward to upgrading my GS500 to a Street Triple some time this winter

Graham
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

Originally Posted by northerner
Basically, be sensible whilst filtering and you'll be fine. I reckon you'd only get booked if a copper considered your riding to be abnormally aggressive/dangerous.
When I filter, its generally only when the traffic has stopped, or at a really low speed, ie 5/10mph. I move to the side when other bikes come zipping up at 70/80mph and let them pass.

What about if you filtered past a copper? do you think they'd book you?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:55 pm

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

What about if you filtered past a copper? do you think they'd book you?
Unlikely, particularly if he is in the queue of traffic you're filtering through. The odd time I have come across this situation though, other riders (and me!) pull in to the traffic and plod along behind.

I reckon if you did get stopped you'd have a strong arguement as the law is so vague.

Graham
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Hey it's been a while since I popped into this thread.

I'm desperately looking for a motorbike that's learner legal e.g. under 660cc in the Sydney area of NSW but I have less than $2000... bad times.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northerner
Unlikely, particularly if he is in the queue of traffic you're filtering through. The odd time I have come across this situation though, other riders (and me!) pull in to the traffic and plod along behind.

I reckon if you did get stopped you'd have a strong arguement as the law is so vague.

Graham
I ride a Kawasaki ER-6N daily into perth...i got told by a copper that lane splitting is ok "as long as the traffic has stopped and you don't cross the solid white line"
I hope he's right

i also wear a dri-rider jacket,cloves and boot and jeans at least it's better than shorts and thongs and no cloves...didn't these twats ever come of a push bike as a kid

Steve
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:49 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Having done the whole London commuting thing on bike for many years, nothing prepared me for the complete disregard that car users in QLD have for bikes. I would now never consider riding here without armor of some description, especially legs and jacket.

The nice lightweight gortex stuff is readily available so its not too hot and you can get away from leathers.

But given the ridiculously high rate of motorbike incidents and the state of our roads here I simply cannot understand idiots in shorts and singlet riding a GSXR.

As to buying new or used, there is not, as mentioned above, that much difference in price really so I would probably be tempted more new than used and think Japanese as service for Euro makes such as BMW etc are high and parts not that readily available.
I ride from Southside to Albion (and back again) every day and every day I encounter sheer stupidity and selfish behaviour. It's normally people who simply don't give a shit about you and feel that the desire to reduce their journey time by 20 seconds is so strong that they simply see you (on your bike) as an inconvenience which shouldn't have too much attention paid to it.

Crap drivers abound here.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Doughnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walkermat
cheers jelli! found an exact replacement (yes, sad i know )..

Sold my cbr600f here for £2400 with 10100 miles on the clock. All equates to $5800 and 16250kms

One i found was $7495 and 23980kms. So, bikes are more expensive there. By a lot!
I got quoated £450 to ship my Tiger 1050 out there and its only 20K klms on the clock. However, this does not include the fees once you get there though.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:58 am

Sorry to dig this one up again, just had to show you bikey people my new ride - a Triumph Street Triple R.

Running it in at the moment which is torture but I am in love
What a massive step up from a GS500!!

Cheers,

Graham
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:15 am
Going for a ride

Very nice looking bike.

I have seen plenty at various bike shows/displays & love the look of them. I bet she brings a smile to your face when you jump on each time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.