Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:59 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Finally got the new R1's - only just brought them home so not had a chance to see what they can do and what the changes feel like from the 2004 version. A query to NSW bike owners - the rego plastic holder plate is hanging off the bottom of the number plate is this the accepted LEGAL place for it or can it be sited anywhere on the bike? I've seen one of those barrel rego holders and wondered if they were illegal or acceptable. Any idea out there??????
Attached Thumbnails The Motorbike Thread-garaged-r1s.jpg  
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:24 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellibaby
Finally got the new R1's - only just brought them home so not had a chance to see what they can do and what the changes feel like from the 2004 version. A query to NSW bike owners - the rego plastic holder plate is hanging off the bottom of the number plate is this the accepted LEGAL place for it or can it be sited anywhere on the bike? I've seen one of those barrel rego holders and wondered if they were illegal or acceptable. Any idea out there??????
mate I'm as jealous as...Pretty sure plastic rego can go anywhere on LH side of bike...got mine on a bolt which is holding on chain guard.

How much?....$14,990 up here in Qld
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:40 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

All you bikers will love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAhlxl4hmM
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:47 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

plastic barrel rego holder on order will tart it up nicely

full cost on the road $17990 all in and we hunted all of NSW to get that deal and in the end our local dealer matched the best one in Blacktown

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
mate I'm as jealous as...Pretty sure plastic rego can go anywhere on LH side of bike...got mine on a bolt which is holding on chain guard.

How much?....$14,990 up here in Qld
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:50 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

does anyone have an opinion on California Superbikes at Eastern Creek?

experiences ?

value for money ?

effective training ?

use your own bike or hire one on track ?
Old May 24th 2008, 2:41 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone have an opinion on California Superbikes at Eastern Creek?

experiences ?

value for money ?

effective training ?

use your own bike or hire one on track ?
Dont know much about them myself, but have you thought about maybe going on one of the ridedays and see if any of the riders there have done it, and have a blast around the circuit as well at the same time.

http://www.easterncreekridedays.com.au/

They are busy, thats for sure :

School Days booking out!

That's right...our school days are now officially booked out right up until June at Eastern Creek! The moral of the story? Book early! As we are now booked out around 2 months in advance, we recommend you book your position sooner rather than later to avoid disappointment. So...either visit the "Calendar/Bookings" page on this website, or call us on 1300 793 423. Either way...do it now!
Old May 24th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Hi bikers, ive got a question i hope someone can answer for me, im coming out soon to Perth or possibly Melbourne, i want to bring my not fully finished project bike with me.I'll go into detail in a minute, but firstly, its 1986 in year, suzuki gsx1100efe based.Not mot'd or taxed for some time(on a sorn cert at the mo), has been owned for a couple of years.It will not be anywhere near road legal when i come, if ever! Should i bring it in bits in the container (ie as spares) with my tools etc, or build it and import it as a vehicle in its own right? Secondly, with regard to registering it and riding it in Oz, how will I get on with the fact that its not 1100cc, but now 1500cc, turbo'd and fuel injected and has a wheelbase of 75" ? Is this legal in Oz ? Its a bit wild, granted, but i want to finish it in Oz and use it at the strip occasionally and on the road every once in a while.Really appreciate any help. Cheers.
Old May 24th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

A query to NSW bike owners - the rego plastic holder plate is hanging off the bottom of the number plate is this the accepted LEGAL place for it or can it be sited anywhere on the bike?
Please don't take this as 'law' but I believe that it should be placed in the left or rear of the bike so as not to put policemen at risk should you get pulled over. A bit stupid given that most intelligent riders will part at 45 anyhoo.

The barrel rego holders are sold on Austalian-based online stores and so I would assume that they are perfectly legal. As long as the text that the law states has to be visible, can indeed be viewed (and I guess you rotate the barrel to read thr rest), I can't see why it it wouldn't be acceptable. Perhaps some lazy-ass cops might not like expending energy rotating it but i'm fairly sure they can't ticket you for it.
Old May 24th 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about

Can anyone offer me some help please - I intend on importing my bike and recently sent all my docs to DOTARS. I have however just received an e-mail from the asking me for a 'statement of travel.' I did actually enclose one which basically read that during the times I have travelled outside the UK, they were purely on holiday and on no occasion did I take my bike with me. This does not appear good enough. Can anyone advise me on what exactly I should send??? Also never knew I needed to enclose a copy of my Visa - Hope to be in a position to send that in the next few weeks!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 24th 2008, 8:47 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by chris1386
Hi bikers, ive got a question i hope someone can answer for me, im coming out soon to Perth or possibly Melbourne, i want to bring my not fully finished project bike with me.I'll go into detail in a minute, but firstly, its 1986 in year, suzuki gsx1100efe based.Not mot'd or taxed for some time(on a sorn cert at the mo), has been owned for a couple of years.It will not be anywhere near road legal when i come, if ever! Should i bring it in bits in the container (ie as spares) with my tools etc, or build it and import it as a vehicle in its own right? Secondly, with regard to registering it and riding it in Oz, how will I get on with the fact that its not 1100cc, but now 1500cc, turbo'd and fuel injected and has a wheelbase of 75" ? Is this legal in Oz ? Its a bit wild, granted, but i want to finish it in Oz and use it at the strip occasionally and on the road every once in a while.Really appreciate any help. Cheers.
Hi Chris.

I'm sure the best way is to bring it will be as parts. Dont know too much about what can & cant to make it roadworthy, but you might want to join this forum : http://www.choppersaustralia.com/ and ask some questions there about how far can you go and stay legal.
Old May 25th 2008, 10:34 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Well I passed my P test on Friday - and I must say it was the easiest thing in the world! How riding round a few cones can prepare you for riding in Sydney rush hour I'm not sure! At least I'm getting plenty of experience - currently doing 250km a week just getting to work and back.

Going to the RTA this afternoon where HOPEFULLY they will give me a full license (over 30, UK license for 16 years but only had NSW license for 18 months). We shall see - triumph Street Triple is on my radar for 6 months of so down the line.

Might also book in for an advanced course or two - does anyone have any recommendations in the Sydney area??

Cheers,

Graham
Old May 26th 2008, 3:57 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chris1386
An ex-board member here, chopperboy, had a hell of a job getting his bike on the road due to the 'non-standard modifications'. I know he got there in the end though.

I've been using a guy who comes out to you to do the road worthy certificates (so like an MOT), and he said that he will also do the structural tests. When I see him again, I'll ask him about 'heavily modified' bikes.
Old May 26th 2008, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northerner
Well I passed my P test on Friday - and I must say it was the easiest thing in the world! How riding round a few cones can prepare you for riding in Sydney rush hour I'm not sure! At least I'm getting plenty of experience - currently doing 250km a week just getting to work and back.

Going to the RTA this afternoon where HOPEFULLY they will give me a full license (over 30, UK license for 16 years but only had NSW license for 18 months). We shall see - triumph Street Triple is on my radar for 6 months of so down the line.

Might also book in for an advanced course or two - does anyone have any recommendations in the Sydney area??

Cheers,

Graham
Congrats on passing your test. I remember I was fretting no end before mine. We had a practice run through on their Honda CBRs and I couldn't get the hang of anything. I jumped on my Hyosung and flew through it with flying colours.

Wouldn't you be on restrictions for 15 months?
Old May 26th 2008, 6:03 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gobbledegeek
Congrats on passing your test. I remember I was fretting no end before mine. We had a practice run through on their Honda CBRs and I couldn't get the hang of anything. I jumped on my Hyosung and flew through it with flying colours.

Wouldn't you be on restrictions for 15 months?
Thanks – the test was pretty straight forward. I was hoping to qualify under the ‘Mature Age Rider Scheme’ which means that you can basically skip the ‘P’ stage and go straight to a full license, but the requirements state that you need an Australian or NZ car license for 5 years – the fact that I’ve had a UK car license for 16 years doesn’t seem to count for anything, even though they accept it as equivalent to an Australian license when it comes to swapping your car license over – if that makes sense!

I’m in the middle of arguing the toss with the RTA (if that’s possible!) at the moment. It’s frustrating – another year with a big red P on my bike, another year with no pillion, another year restricted on what bike I can ride, another year limited to 90km/h, another year…….

…..you get the idea!!

Cheers,

Graham
Old May 26th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Well if the system is the same as here in Vic, your UK license time should be taken into account and in cases of more than 5 years (iirc) you will not have to display the Ps for the probationary period but you will remain on restrictions. I was oh so glad to tear up my plates when I passed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.