Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Motorbike Question

Motorbike Question

Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motorbike Question

It is our (my wife and I) intention to move to Perth, Oz and I currently have a Ducati 916 and was wondering about transporting it over as I believe that the cost of import bikes is very expensive.

I was also wondering what types of bikes are most common as in USA Harley esc bikes are most common due to their roads being straight and the weather, wondered if the same went for Oz.

Is there a large biking faternity and not the Hells Angels sort of bikers?

Regards
Andy
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:08 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Motorbike Question

Originally posted by ducatiandy
It is our (my wife and I) intention to move to Perth, Oz and I currently have a Ducati 916 and was wondering about transporting it over as I believe that the cost of import bikes is very expensive.

I was also wondering what types of bikes are most common as in USA Harley esc bikes are most common due to their roads being straight and the weather, wondered if the same went for Oz.

Is there a large biking faternity and not the Hells Angels sort of bikers?

Regards
Andy
Hi Andy,

Its probably the same as NZ where anything European bikes cost an arm and a leg to buy due to import costs etc....I couldn't beliee the cost of a 4 year old Mille when we were there .... more than you have to pay for some new ones in the UK. In this instance it's probably cheaper to take the bike with you as it only costs a few hundred pounds to add it to a home shipment. There will be some costs when you arrive in OZ such as rego etc, but you'd pay them on a new bike anyway. There should be a Ducati owners club around the area you are heading to, but the biking scene in NZ and Oz is nothing like the UK. Harleys are very popular in NZ....I couldn't say about Oz for sure.

Rich.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

delia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Motorbike Question

Check with DOTAR and customs in WA first Andy. I caught a cold when i brought a builders trailer with costs for import duty, cost of transport and then add to that GST, the cost of altering the speedometer, $50.00 for this form and that form, regos and probably more. By the time you sell your bike in the uk and then put the money aside for a new bike in Perth there's probably not a lot in it. Find a friend and ask them to send you a copy of Perth's autotrader and do the sums.

Dean
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy yes lots of bikers over here ,there was a meet on in Joondalup Arena just before christmas and there was in excess of 700 bikes there.They were doing a charity run for sick and underprivileged kids.There is also lots of harleys and a lot more hells angels than I ever saw in the U.K.