Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Motorbike purchase in UK or Aus ?

Motorbike purchase in UK or Aus ?

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice
Default Motorbike purchase in UK or Aus ?

Hello

It is a strong possibility that before we leave the UK hubby will purchase a motorbike for himself. He has been looking at a Harley Davidson V-Rod.

The big question is should we buy here and pay to ship it over or wait till we get there. A great price has been offered to him for a brand new one but obviously this means we will pay the extra in shipping costs plus insurance.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice
Default Re: Motorbike purchase in UK or Aus ?

Originally Posted by hooperhome
Hello

It is a strong possibility that before we leave the UK hubby will purchase a motorbike for himself. He has been looking at a Harley Davidson V-Rod.

The big question is should we buy here and pay to ship it over or wait till we get there. A great price has been offered to him for a brand new one but obviously this means we will pay the extra in shipping costs plus insurance.

i would love a v-rod.

hope this helps

derek
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

Hello

Try Harley Davidson Australia. You will find a dealer list for the state you wish too live in. I would think they could give you an 'on the road price'.

I looked at 2nd hand prices a few months back and found them slightly cheaper than here.

Hope he enjoys the V-Rod, I had a Buell X1 and a 1200 Sortster. Nice but I did breakdown a few times Ride a Yamaha now, gonna sell it and buy a new one when I get down to Bendigo.

Kev
Old Apr 24th 2005, 12:00 am
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

Hello

But doesn't the import regulations state you must have owned any motor vehicle for 12 months or more before bringing into Oz?

I bought me GSXR750 for £6k on the road, miles cheaper than the UK, from Peter Stevens, who also sell Harley's:

http://www.peterstevens.com.au/

V-Rod is $28,995 plus otr/£12250 including otr costs. How does that compare with the deal hubby was offered?

TBEB
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by tbeb
But doesn't the import regulations state you must have owned any motor vehicle for 12 months or more before bringing into Oz?

I bought me GSXR750 for £6k on the road, miles cheaper than the UK, from Peter Stevens, who also sell Harley's:

V-Rod is $28,995 plus otr/£12250 including otr costs. How does that compare with the deal hubby was offered?

TBEB
Hello TBEB

He has been quoted £10.995, it is an unsold 04 model, colour black.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:31 am
Go dogs!

Hello TBEB

He has been quoted £10.995, it is an unsold 04 model, colour black.
Well, with the costs of shipping, and getting it through the reg testing I reckon it'll be cheaper, and certainly less hassle, to buy a new one here on arrival.

TBEB
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tbeb

I'd heard something like this too. A friend of ours was told the only way he could bring his if it was under a year old was in a minimum of 4 parts because they then classed that as spares

Sam
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:13 am
Go dogs!

Originally Posted by The Thorpes
I'd heard something like this too. A friend of ours was told the only way he could bring his if it was under a year old was in a minimum of 4 parts because they then classed that as spares

Sam
Yeah, had to leave the wife's MX5 behind as we had only had it for 9 months but it was just too much hassle and expense anyway, even if we had owned it for more than 12 months we wouldn't have taken it.

TBEB
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:22 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Hello

I would suggest you check on any harley dealers sites b4 you go, we were in perth last year and was checking out for Triumph dealers in the area as we are shipping ours and we found that they are selling triumphs several thousand cheaper out in oz than they are in the uk-and the triumph factory in hinkley isnt far from us, and what with the added cost of shipping and import taxes its still cheaper to buy one in oz!! I appreciate that we arent discussing the same kinda bike but I guess its worth checking out if harleys are the same!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:54 pm
jude

judeyoga will become famous soon enoughjudeyoga will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by squeezzii
I would suggest you check on any harley dealers sites b4 you go, we were in perth last year and was checking out for Triumph dealers in the area as we are shipping ours and we found that they are selling triumphs several thousand cheaper out in oz than they are in the uk-and the triumph factory in hinkley isnt far from us, and what with the added cost of shipping and import taxes its still cheaper to buy one in oz!! I appreciate that we arent discussing the same kinda bike but I guess its worth checking out if harleys are the same!
Wanted to bump this up so that I can show hubby whn he gets home from work - I think he was told that bikes are more expensive in Aus so was intending to ship his buell. Must get him to read this!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:26 pm
Go dogs!

Originally Posted by judeyoga
Wanted to bump this up so that I can show hubby whn he gets home from work - I think he was told that bikes are more expensive in Aus so was intending to ship his buell. Must get him to read this!
They are definately cheaper here in Oz...and Harley's and Buells are very popular as well, so that keeps prices competetive. Send one of the dealers an email and ask for a price on a Buell:

I sold my 2002 Fireblade in the UK last year, so it was a couple of years old by then; for £5850. I bought a new 2005 GSXR750 for £6000 otr, when I got here, which retails for £7800 in the UK.

TBEB
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all your replies everybody, the reality it seems would be to wait till we get to Aus. Any recommendations on bike dealers in or near Perth?

Thanks
Theresa