Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Motorbike importing

Motorbike importing

Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:26 am
Just Joined

wilsy2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motorbike importing

Is it worth me importing me beloved aprilia into australia or would the costs involved be prohibitive, i would rather take it with me than buy one out there ???

Hellllppp
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:15 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorbike importing

Originally Posted by wilsy2000
Is it worth me importing me beloved aprilia into australia or would the costs involved be prohibitive, i would rather take it with me than buy one out there ???

Hellllppp
Basically in a word - YES - import it. Its easy to do relatively speaking and you dont pay duty on bikes. It will cost you about $1000 in fees etc as a very broad ballpark but bikes here keep value. Aprila is a premium bike here too.

So a search on bike imports for details and previous threads on that or send me a PM.

I had to give up my Ducati and I am GUTTED. Could only bring my old BMW as only allowed 1 import that has to be over 12 months old.....
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:21 am
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Motorbike importing

Hi Wilsy
Really depends on whether it's a Mille or an Rs250.

From memory there are a few things to consider and you should google the main customs websites for up to date info:

1) you need to get a customs authorisation before you ship it - small cost
2) you need to pay 10% gst on the price you paid minus depreciation, servicing etc
3) you need to get a 'roadworthy' (MOT/tax) when you arrive
4) cost of cleaning, draining, crating up and shipping will have to be added on. Some shipping co's allow crated bikes into containers (Doree Bonner definitely do) but that depends on if you have space. A 40' will take your whole house plus some and leave room for the real important thing ...the bike.
5) if the bike is non standard you may also need a conformity certificate from a 'priller dealer. This shouldn't be required because they use the same side of the road as UK.

My Daytona 955 was trashed a few weeks before leaving so that was sorted for me. With hindsight I wish I'd brought my 600 Divvy out here. With a company car it is difficult to justify spending hard earned cash on a hypa bike when it will only be an odd weekend blast machine.

Also consider the standard of Australian driving. It really is atrocious and rates one of the worst I've seen on my global travels. There is very little appreciation of bikes on the road and EVERY morning on the traffic reports there are numerous "car and bike together", "truck and bike together" etc.

I have biking in my blood but have opted to get my kicks on the water because despite sharks, stingers, rips and storms it is far safer than biking out here. Just remember, if you have an accident you may very well end up in the hospital system and that is a very scary thought :scared: :scared: :scared:

Keep the rubber side down
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:47 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wilsy2000

Hellllppp
Hi there, if you type in 'triumph daytona 955i' into the 'search' option at top of the page there is a load of info I have input regarding the experience I had importing my bike replies #7 and #12 may help-but bear in mind the rules vary slightly depending on where you are going.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your excellent bits of info, i will be importing i think as i cant bear to part with this bike just yet.

Regards
Steve
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

by the way, it isnt a mille or an rs250 its a falco....millle of a kind anyway !
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:33 am
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of

A soft Mille eh! Go for it then!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

what about a 2005 Honda cbr 600 RR ...................Thiught hubby was going to cry when I mentioned about selling it!Will it come in under the $1000 shipping?
Old Oct 12th 2006, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

might also be useful to check out some of the bike insurers over here... sometimes they won't insure imported bikes, or if they do they whack on obscene charges (anything upwards of $1k extra).

Think there's a few that don't - but can't remember what ones they might be!! sorry!!!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 4:25 pm
BT engineer wants out UK

JOE2369 is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody know a firm that can give quote on motorhome ?
Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Eranu is an unknown quantity at this point

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could someone PM me if they get a quote for shipping and any contacts they find out.

I have a brand new R6 and looking to ship to NZ... it's just too gorgeous to leave behind!!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

melaniepittam is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Motorbike importing

Originally Posted by JOE2369
anybody know a firm that can give quote on motorhome ?
Hi,

Just wondering if you have since got any info on shipping a motorhome?

Thankyou
Melanie
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:56 am
Just Joined

mosquito_bait is on a distinguished road

I shipped my bike along with all my other assorted junk from the UK.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother if your bike is available to buy here.
(Mine is an old 'un and not really replaceable.)
Just sell what you've got and buy one here.

For the hassle, expense and worry (my bike was still in it's crate, just lying on it's side, grrr.) I wouldn't bother.

Note for importing classic bikes, although my bike model (Laverda Jota) was imported to Aus when new, I still had to go and see an engineer who did a full type-approval sort of inspection - very expensive.

Included things like measuring the height of the headlight from the ground (??), adding kms to the speedo & most worryingly of all....decibel test (anyone who knows Laverdas will be worried for me now but hey, this is Australia - there are ways.... )
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Ducati Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

The matter of exporting bikes has been discussed on www. ducatisti.co.uk, and the end result was it aint worth it, i think the guy in the end broke the bike down into two parts and sent them a couple of weeks apart but as i say the end comment was dont do it!!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Taking both our Ducatis in our container - just waiting for import approval to arrive and then they are off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.