Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Motorbike Helmets

Motorbike Helmets

Old Jul 15th 2003, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Gibson will become famous soon enough
Default Motorbike Helmets

Hi guys, not posted for a while as have been really busy. We ship in a week and things are a bit mad!!! My hubby has a motorbike helmet and we're unsure as to whether he can use it in Perth. We've been told he can't as although it meets English standards it doesn't meet Aussie standards. This may be a load of bull but we really could do with knowing the "right" answer. Your responses would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Janexxxxxx
Old Jul 15th 2003, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Motorbike Helmets

Originally posted by Gibson
Hi guys, not posted for a while as have been really busy. We ship in a week and things are a bit mad!!! My hubby has a motorbike helmet and we're unsure as to whether he can use it in Perth. We've been told he can't as although it meets English standards it doesn't meet Aussie standards. This may be a load of bull but we really could do with knowing the "right" answer. Your responses would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Janexxxxxx

I have also heard the same thing about British crash helmets. Not sure if it's true or not though. Why not just buy another here when you arrive?
Old Jul 15th 2003, 9:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As a former biker (who doesn't know the answer for certain) - I thought I'd get this one back to the top ........ come on you Aussies, someone must know?
Although its easier to buy a new helmet, one can get attached to these things - broke my heart when I got rid of mine.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

You definitely cannot use a UK helmet in the Australia. It needs to have the Australian certification sticker on the back (It’s a horrible orange thing!). Having just bought a brand new Shoe in the UK and shipped it out with the rest of our stuff this year, I thought this a bit odd. So I went down to a police station and asked, and they confirmed that:-

a) Although technically the helmets may meet the Australian standards, you would still risk getting booked. There is a chance that an understanding cop may let you off.
b) Worse though, if you have an accident, the insurance company will definitely NOT pay out on any claim if you weren’t wearing a helmet with the Oz certification sticker.

Not worth taking the chance for a couple of hundred bucks.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

chris@insurance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Motorbike Helmets

Here's my two cents:

I brought my Mick Doohan Replica Arai with me when I moved to New Zealand(I couldn't leave it behind....my Mom bought it for me). Although it didn't have the Australian Standards 1698 sticker on the back(used on both Australia and NEw Zealand, it did have the SNELL/DOT sticker from the US.

Also, as a recent motorbike dealer(that's what brought me down here, awesome roads!) I had the choice of putting on a new lid, but I chose to stick with my Arai. It didn't seem to pose a problem and although the staff at the dealership razzed me about having an Ozzie helmet it didn't seem to register as a problem.

I wasn't stopped at Customs and I used it here for 2 years and 3 pullups by the police....without incident(except for the speeding violation that is).

Then when I was leaving the shop a couple of months ago I got hit from behind by a truck, landing on my head....my Arai was smashed, but my head remained in one piece. Although I received a minor concussion, I was up and going again the next day.

In the end.....the other guy lost his license, and insurance paid out for fixing the bike and replacing my helmet....I've now got a shiny new Shoei.....the insurance folks didn't take notice of the imported helmet.

I never considered the possibility of an insurance problem in the event of an accident so I checked with my underwriter(we also sell a HEAP of motorbike insurance here in NZ). My guy tells me that it is not likely an insurer would deny a claim in NZ because the crash helmet worn by the rider wasn't the OZ/NZ standard.....simply because it is unlikely the helmet would have been a contributing factor in CAUSING the accident.

In conclusion...I know a bunch of guys here in NZ wearing helmets they brought in themselves from overseas trips and I'm not aware of anyone being hassled over it.

But if you do bring in a helmet with you, do so at your own risk!

Cheers,

Last edited by chris@insurance; Jul 17th 2003 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that the same applies over here in NZ but having laid out a lot of cash on a top of the range Arai back home I wasn't going to leave it behind!!! I gues you take the same risk with insurance/getting booked as you do back home with a black visor or a race can!!!!!
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default .

Aussie regs too, people may not know. (Of course rules may vary from state to state).

Do not park on the wrong side of the road. 2 pommie mates caught on this one, you can only park in the same direction as the traffic.

You need to wear a safety helmet for your pushbike. That is adults kids even toddlers in seats. Approved safety helmet must be worn. Fine is $30.00 and cops book you on the spot, been 'arrested'" for this myself many a time!

If you are walking your dog you must carry a plastic bag and pick up the poop. Plastic bags are provided in lots of places. Good idea but inconvenient if you get caught short with doggy do in your handbag.

Dont light fires in your backyard, most places you need a permit for a fire because of bushfires.

Doing your own plumbing and electrical work is illegal.

Talking on mobile in car is now a traffic offence, driver that is.

Must be heaps more.........

Last edited by dotty; Jul 16th 2003 at 6:30 am.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: .

Originally posted by dotty

Doing your own plumbing and electrical work is illegal.

Must be heaps more.........
Is it REALLY illegal to do your own plumbing and electrical work??? Jeez... hubbie put in new bathroom, new electrics in kitchen, lounge etc. before we sold our place...

Have to say he did a better job than most of the plumbers/electricians I know, and what`s more, it didn`t cost an arm and a leg!!!

I know in the UK you have to get things checked out by qualified tradesmen, but this is ridiculous!!!
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: .

Originally posted by Rosy
Is it REALLY illegal to do your own plumbing and electrical work??? Jeez... hubbie put in new bathroom, new electrics in kitchen, lounge etc. before we sold our place...

Have to say he did a better job than most of the plumbers/electricians I know, and what`s more, it didn`t cost an arm and a leg!!!

I know in the UK you have to get things checked out by qualified tradesmen, but this is ridiculous!!!
Sure is. We found out when we bought a house and had the Building inspection done. Work done by unqualified persons, was enough to collapse the contract. Plus we got told had we moved in we could have sued for big bucks (aussie thing) if we had been harmed by the unlicensed work. Very different building laws here to UK.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:15 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Flyboy
I think that the same applies over here in NZ but having laid out a lot of cash on a top of the range Arai back home I wasn't going to leave it behind!!! I gues you take the same risk with insurance/getting booked as you do back home with a black visor or a race can!!!!!
Hey FlyBoy,

Is this the same in NZ then? I just picked up a Hizzy rep OGK, and I've packed it ready to bring - is it going to be a waste of time then? Is the BS kitemark not recognised as a safety mark over there? Bummer - I bought the missus an OGK Aeroblade just the other week too........aarghh, bugger. The black visor / racecan issue at least shouldn't affect personal injury payouts, but if the lid is unrecognised I'd rather not take the risk.....

cheers, Rich
Old Jul 16th 2003, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

thanks for all the info peeps ,it answered my question too.
Good luck with the move jane,hope it all goes well and that the designer specs were worth it

donna
Old Jul 16th 2003, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can also get points on your license for sticking your elbow out the window. So much for trying to look cool

Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

wot about motocross helmets as you are off the road
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

You may not get booked, but don't expect an insurance company to pay out on any claim.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hey FlyBoy,

Is this the same in NZ then? I just picked up a Hizzy rep OGK, and I've packed it ready to bring - is it going to be a waste of time then? Is the BS kitemark not recognised as a safety mark over there? Bummer - I bought the missus an OGK Aeroblade just the other week too........aarghh, bugger. The black visor / racecan issue at least shouldn't affect personal injury payouts, but if the lid is unrecognised I'd rather not take the risk.....

cheers, Rich

Hey Rich,

I have checked the New Zealand road code and it states that you must wear "an approved safety helmet" - doesn't say who it is approved by though!! I would guess that a good European brand with a BSI kitemike would be good enough but I am not sure. I will try and find out more when I am next in a dealer as most bike shops here seem pretty clued up on the local regs.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.