Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

motor cycle in container

motor cycle in container

Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice
Default motor cycle in container

Im sure Im right in saying I can put my bike in the container, but does anyone know what I have to do to it before it goes in and when it comes out the other end.
many thanks.

Cockney Rob......
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: motor cycle in container

Originally Posted by lightr0d2o
Im sure Im right in saying I can put my bike in the container, but does anyone know what I have to do to it before it goes in and when it comes out the other end.
many thanks.

Cockney Rob......
I'd like to know this as well, I've got 2 motocrossers and 1 scooter to take with me
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:05 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Yes you can put them in the container.

Have a look at the info on these two links, something I saved from a previous thread.

PDF factsheet on this one.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.aspx

Regards

Rich

Last edited by rossifumi; Nov 4th 2005 at 3:07 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:22 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks.

Cockney Rob......
Go to your local Ducati dealer, buy a SKEL crate, this consists of a pallet that the bike sits on, and then you build a frame around it like a "mecano set".
The end result is a large rectangle,you can then shrink wrap it ready for sliding into the container. drain the fuel leave/ keys inignition/ DONT drain engine oil or hydraulics...................... mm
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:24 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
Go to your local Ducati dealer, buy a SKEL crate, this consists of a pallet that the bike sits on, and then you build a frame around it like a "mecano set".
The end result is a large rectangle,you can then shrink wrap it ready for sliding into the container. drain the fuel leave/ keys inignition/ DONT drain engine oil or hydraulics...................... mm
Can you leave the battery on , but disconected ?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
My missus asked the same question (can she leave the batteries in)
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
My missus asked the same question (can she leave the batteries in)
Like your sleep hu ?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:39 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

yeah for got that one .just disconnect battery................ mm
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:40 pm

yeah for got that one .just disconnect battery................ mm
Cool cheers just waiting for my import licence to come back

Then it will be KTM thrashing over the perth Dunes :scared:
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:56 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks.

Cockney Rob......
I've done it. Dont bother crating it yourself. Your removal firm will do it for you and build the crate around the machine once loaded. See the below photo of mine. Make sure its drained of fuel and battery disconnected and other than that your good to go. You need to get approval to import it into Australia first though for each vehicle and then get it registered once here too. Speak to your shippers to confirm what they want you to do.

Its paperwork city but not a big deal to do and remember you do have to pay tax here. www.dotars.com.au

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails motor cycle in container-dsc00081.jpg  
Old Nov 5th 2005, 5:18 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=lightr0d2o]Im sure Im right in saying I can put my bike in the container, but does anyone know what I have to do to it before it goes in and when it comes out the other end.
many thanks.

Cockney Rob......[/QUO
In july we shipped our bike in our container with all our household stuff,drain the fuel tank and carbs and then disconnect the battery-make sure its fully charged.We removed the mirrors too for peace of mind.We also put our standard exhaust system back on the bike as it needs to be MOT'able when you get there!Our removal company (Abels) made up a crate for us in the uk at a cost of £125-you cant make your own crate with wood from B+Q as it all needs to be treated else it wont be allowed thru customs.If you can, put it on a decent paddock stand (if it hasnt got a centre stand) once the bike was loaded (under our supervision) at home (that was the way we wanted it),we stuffed aload of blankets and pillows in the crate b4 it was sealed and just make sure the bike is immaculatly clean!!! our Daytona arrived just as good as we had packed it-just brace yourself for the truckloads of paperwork-none tricky-just a drag.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 5:27 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=lightr0d2o]Im sure Im right in saying I can put my bike in the container, but does anyone know what I have to do to it before it goes in and when it comes out the other end.
many thanks.

Cockney Rob......[/QUO
In july we shipped our bike in our container with all our household stuff,drain the fuel tank and carbs and then disconnect the battery-make sure its fully charged.We removed the mirrors too for peace of mind.We also put our standard exhaust system back on the bike as it needs to be MOT'able when you get there!Our removal company (Abels) made up a crate for us in the uk at a cost of £125-you cant make your own crate with wood from B+Q as it all needs to be treated else it wont be allowed thru customs.If you can, put it on a decent paddock stand (if it hasnt got a centre stand) once the bike was loaded (under our supervision) at home (that was the way we wanted it),we stuffed aload of blankets and pillows in the crate b4 it was sealed and just make sure the bike is immaculatly clean!!! our Daytona arrived just as good as we had packed it-just brace yourself for the truckloads of paperwork-none tricky-just a drag.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 7:05 am
Banned

Cool cheers just waiting for my import licence to come back

Then it will be KTM thrashing over the perth Dunes :scared:
PT if wa is any thing like sth Aust, you will have 14 /16 year olds showing you how to do it, Aussie kids have no fear.......... mm
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:07 pm

PT if wa is any thing like sth Aust, you will have 14 /16 year olds showing you how to do it, Aussie kids have no fear.......... mm
Your not wrong there we saw some nippers buzzing round on trailies and quads after school one day last year in perth
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice

Thanks guy's
got some shippers coming to quote soon so I will see what they have too say. perhaps they will do the paper work for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
may end up selling and getting a new one down under. Good enough reason for a change..

all the best

Cockney Rob......