Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mothercare & Early Learning Centre stores opened in Melbourne...

Mothercare & Early Learning Centre stores opened in Melbourne...

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:08 am
Account Closed

MissyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mothercare & Early Learning Centre stores opened in Melbourne...

Mothercare has come to Oz! The store at Chadstone is now open and another one will be opening in Doncaster soon... Not sure about stores in other States but I believe you can now order on www.mothercare.com.au

I must say I was very excited to see the store at Chadstone on the wknd (I have a baby and miss some of the good ol' UK brands)!

Now if only H&M would arrive down under...
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:14 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mothercare & Early Learning Centre stores opened in Melbourne...

A bit of a necro-post here - but I noticed today that Mothercare have now opened a store in Garden City (Brisbane). They'd left UK pricing on so its clear that the aussie shopper is being punished (GBP10 = ~AUD25-30) but it still looks like a decent value proposition compared to the competition.

Lets hope its a huge success and other UK retailers can jump on the success, M&S, Next etc etc etc... bring it on!! (If only I was <6 years old theres finally a shop in Brisbane where I might be able to get clothes that fit! )
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:56 am
ABCDiamond

Mothercare Australia Store Locations (July 2010)

Victoria
  • Chadstone Centre, 1341 Dandenong Rd, Chadstone VIC 3148
  • Westfield Doncaster, 619 Doncaster Road, Doncaster VIC 3108
  • Westfield Southland, 123 Nepean H/Way, Cheltenham VIC 3192

New South Wales
  • Homemaker Supacenta, 4/6 Niangala Close, Belrose NSW 2085
  • Hills Supacenta, 16 Victoria Ave, Castle Hill NSW 2154
  • Chatswood Chase Shopping Centre, 345 Victoria Ave, Chatswood NSW 2067
  • The Entertainment Quarter, 122 Lang Rd, Moore Park NSW 2021
  • Rhodes ShoppingCentre, Rider Boulevard, Rhodes NSW 2138

Queensland
  • Westfield Garden City, Mount Gravatt, QLD
  • Broadbeach – to follow
  • Chermside - to follow

Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:44 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it's just me but I thought Mothercare was rubbish. Expensive and useless is my lasting impression.

Early Learning Centre I can see.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Mothercare & Early Learning Centre stores opened in Melbourne...

Originally Posted by DadAgain
They'd left UK pricing on so its clear that the aussie shopper is being punished (GBP10 = ~AUD25-30)
Interesting. I wonder what excuse they have for charging higher prices in Australia than they do in the UK?

Every time I see a "I wish [name of British company] was in Australia, they'd be so much cheaper than the local competition!" thread, I can't help wondering if they'd really be cheaper, or if they'd simply charge as much as they could possibly get away with. Thanks to recent foreign entrants (such as Mothercare) I now know the answer to that question: they won't be cheaper; they'll charge as much as they can possibly get away with.

It was the same when Vodaphone and Virgin came to Australia. Everyone said "Ooh, they'll shake up the market with their rock bottom prices!" But they didn't. Their prices are hardly different from anyone else's.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:16 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Interesting. I wonder what excuse they have for charging higher prices in Australia than they do in the UK?

Every time I see a "I wish [name of British company] was in Australia, they'd be so much cheaper than the local competition!" thread, I can't help wondering if they'd really be cheaper, or if they'd simply charge as much as they could possibly get away with. Thanks to recent foreign entrants (such as Mothercare) I now know the answer to that question: they won't be cheaper; they'll charge as much as they can possibly get away with.

It was the same when Vodaphone and Virgin came to Australia. Everyone said "Ooh, they'll shake up the market with their rock bottom prices!" But they didn't. Their prices are hardly different from anyone else's.
Mainly true I'm sure but at least Aldi have given it a go (even if they are German - still, forgive and forget. )
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mothercare & Early Learning Centre stores opened in Melbourne...

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Mainly true I'm sure but at least Aldi have given it a go (even if they are German - still, forgive and forget. )
Aldi are considerably cheaper than Coles or Woolworths -and what's interesting is that Coles and Woolworths are cheaper where there is an Aldi close by.

The other great thing about Aldi is you do get some different things there. Mrs Buzzy brought home a packet of "Roquefort and Onion" crisps tonight. Most Australians would not have heard of Roquefort. (in fact many English people would not be familiar with it either...)

BB
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Aldi are considerably cheaper than Coles or Woolworths -and what's interesting is that Coles and Woolworths are cheaper where there is an Aldi close by.
That will be disappointing for the WA people...

I've just noticed, they don't even have a Mothercare over there !

Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:52 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The other great thing about Aldi is you do get some different things there. Mrs Buzzy brought home a packet of "Roquefort and Onion" crisps tonight. Most Australians would not have heard of Roquefort. (in fact many English people would not be familiar with it either...)

BB
What's a roquefort?

For throwing at people mate.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:05 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mothercare & Early Learning Centre stores opened in Melbourne...

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That will be disappointing for the WA people...

I've just noticed, they don't even have a Mothercare over there !
Ha ha! And what gets my goat is that when people say "Australia is crap because...." when they actually mean "Perth is crap because...."

I've not been to Perth so haven't suffered the terrible shopping people seem to have to put up with there but I just don't see that here in Melbourne.

BB
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

BB
I would, Its my all time favourite cheese!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha! And what gets my goat is that when people say "Australia is crap because...." when they actually mean "Perth is crap because...."

I've not been to Perth so haven't suffered the terrible shopping people seem to have to put up with there but I just don't see that here in Melbourne.

BB
For clothes Perth might be crap but I wouldn't know as I don't buy clothes in Australia (apart from branded surfwear now and again). KL, Singapore, Europe is where I buy clothes - once a year.
For the stuff I want to buy - electronics, books, RC equipment, camping stuff etc, Perth is as good as anywhere else in Australia.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Two new Mothercare stores opening in WA next week. Will put details on new thread.