Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mother wants to come with us

Mother wants to come with us

Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mother wants to come with us

All I know is that she has an agent in Perth who says it won't be a problem at all as all her family will be there i.e. all her sons. After August when my bro in Perth has been there for 2 years. The agent said it will take about 6 months to get her visa.

I didn't know that they could stop her from entering into the country on a holiday visa. I'll have to look into this one. It would cause a lot of problems if they did, and as we may all be at the airport together I can see how they may put 2 and 2 together. :scared:

I'll admit that there may be problems, but even if she can't get her visa after waiting all that time in Oz, at least she will have had a great holiday, still have her money in the bank, and return home to apply

Thanks for the great advice TheCrone. Mums quite a party animal and is out with her friends all the time here, which is really good for her. When my dad passed away she went into a stage of depression, and reclusion. Any tips on great things for her to do are welcome. I'm sure the grand kids will keep her going.

Hay wombat I always love your ingenious ideas
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leedslad
I'm sorry i haven't been more specific.

I have been advised by an agent that my mum can come with us when we emigrate. My brother in Oz has been there 2 years in August. He is sponsoring me. He can also sponsor mum.
I suggest you also ask about the Assurance of Support rules, especially if your brother is acting as assurer for you as well. There are strict limits on multiple assurances.

I was just wondering really if anyone has had any problems re-entering the country on a holiday visa and if anyone does this frequently as to prolong their stay while they get permenant residancy, and is it a pain in the neck?
DIMIA take a very dim view of people trying to establish de-facto residence on a tourist visa and are within their rights to refuse entry on arrival if they think this is happening.

Jeremy
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leedslad
All I know is that she has an agent in Perth who says it won't be a problem at all as all her family will be there i.e. all her sons. After August when my bro in Perth has been there for 2 years. The agent said it will take about 6 months to get her visa.
6 months only applies for the Contributory Parent visa option. Is she willing to pay the fees?

Why not keep things simple and apply offshore as processing is fairly quick?

I'll admit that there may be problems, but even if she can't get her visa after waiting all that time in Oz, at least she will have had a great holiday, still have her money in the bank, and return home to apply
Depending on the reason for refusal there may be no scope to reapply.

Again - wouldn't be far simpler to *visit* Australia as a tourist, apply for migration offshore, and only cut ties with the UK (like selling house) *after* a permanent visa is granted. That way one can be sure before moving.

Jeremy
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

This is very good advice! I'm glad i posted this thread on here.

All we have is the agents word that it is ok, so we will have to go back to them with alot of questions.

This forum is priceless! Thanks everyone
Old Feb 6th 2005, 12:10 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you thought about a number of issues, including:

- consequences of being stuck on tourist visa conditions (eg no Medicare coverage)
- Jeremy
There is no problem with medical cover whilst on a tourist visa Jeremy. U.K and Australia have reciprocal health care agreements. You have to be aware of it though and when presenting yourself for treatment you show your passport and ask for reciprocal health care treatment.