British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mother wants to come with us (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mother-wants-come-us-279874/)

leedslad Jan 25th 2005 1:33 pm

Mother wants to come with us

Hi everyone!

I have a brother with 2 kids in Perth. I'm due to emigrate this summer (no kids) and my eldest brother and 3 kids may be emigrating at the same time.

My Mother has enquired about comming with us on a six month holiday visa and applying for a permanant visa while she's with us. I will be holidaying out of the country with her to re -new her holiday visa. She's also selling her house when she comes with us so she can buy a house in Oz when her visa comes through.

Has anyone else had the same experiance?....how did it go? any problems re-entering country from another?

Guidance in this would be great for mums confidance...cheers

worzel Jan 25th 2005 1:57 pm

Re: Mother wants to come with us

Originally Posted by leedslad
Hi everyone!

I have a brother with 2 kids in Perth. I'm due to emigrate this summer (no kids) and my eldest brother and 3 kids may be emigrating at the same time.

My Mother has enquired about comming with us on a six month holiday visa and applying for a permanant visa while she's with us. I will be holidaying out of the country with her to re -new her holiday visa. She's also selling her house when she comes with us so she can buy a house in Oz when her visa comes through.

Has anyone else had the same experiance?....how did it go? any problems re-entering country from another?

The feasibility of this PR may get a better answer on the immigration forum, but I think the essence is that you need to be settled there (2 years) to sponsor her and she has to apply outside the UK. So her selling the house sets alarm bells ringing.

You sound okay on the balance of family test (as many in Aus as elsewhere).

There are also temporary visas and retirement visas (very few and very expensive)

But like I say, you will get a better, possibly more accurate answer on the immigration forum.

Any troubles with regards to your wife and mother getting on etc is another issue entirely that would certainly affect me if I suggested it :D

Phoenixuk2oz Jan 25th 2005 1:59 pm

Hi everyone!

Hi Leedslad

You might be better off putting this on the immigration forum so one of the Migration Agents can help however from my experience so far [which is limited] I believe your mum can obtain a Contributory Parent visa or Retirement visa. There may be others I'm not sure about e.g Business Visa? [not sure on the criteria for this one]

Anyways, what I can tell you is that for the Contributory Visa your mum needs to pass the balance of family i.e there needs to be as many siblings in Aus as there are in UK e.g if you are one of four siblings then there will need to be at least 2 children in UK and 2 in Aus for your mum to be able to apply. I beleive this visa is temp and is re-assessed every 4 years. Not sure if your mum can apply for this whilst on a 6 month visa?

As for the Retirement Visa. I believe this is based on your mum being able to provide a bond and it is quite an expensive option however it is permenant and as long as your mum has X amount of cash [stipulated by DIMIA] then she can apply. I think your mum can also do this whilst residing in Aus too.

In summary: I may not be totally correct with the above info and certainly I've not been very specific re cash amounts etc so maybe if you ask about these types of visa on the Immigration site as someone more knowledgeable tmay be able to help you. Another good source is the DIMIA site itself and I think Grayling or Roger Williams may also be able to shed some light on these as they use this site too.

Apologies for not being specific or much help but there are Visas your mum can apply for and if you check these sites for either Contributory or Retirement visas I'm sure lots will crop up ;)

Good luck and hope your mum gets to live here with you in due course :)

leedslad Jan 25th 2005 2:18 pm

I'm sorry i haven't been more specific.

I have been advised by an agent that my mum can come with us when we emigrate. My brother in Oz has been there 2 years in August. He is sponsoring me. He can also sponsor mum.

I was just wondering really if anyone has had any problems re-entering the country on a holiday visa and if anyone does this frequently as to prolong their stay while they get permenant residancy, and is it a pain in the neck?

I didn't realise there was a visa forum sorry guys and gals!!

Phoenixuk2oz Jan 25th 2005 2:35 pm

I'm sorry i haven't been more specific.

I have been advised by an agent that my mum can come with us when we emigrate. My brother in Oz has been there 2 years in August. He is sponsoring me. He can also sponsor mum.

I was just wondering really if anyone has had any problems re-entering the country on a holiday visa and if anyone does this frequently as to prolong their stay while they get permenant residancy, and is it a pain in the neck?

I didn't realise there was a visa forum sorry guys and gals!!

Apologies Leedslad...my fault I should have asked you to clarify [being a fellow Yorkshire person I should have known better :D ]

Can't answer your question I'm afraid but what I can tell you is whatever you do, don't prolong any visa without cover. This may jepordise any future visa application [my parents needed to buy a visa extension for the sake of a couple of days and Migration Agent said DIMIA don't like it if you go over the visa timescale without cover :rolleyes: so advised to get extra time / visa extension].

Try the Immigration site on here [look up Immigration forum by clicking on the "Forum jump" box at the bottom of this screen ;) ]

Good luck :D

leedslad Jan 25th 2005 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Apologies Leedslad...my fault I should have asked you to clarify [being a fellow Yorkshire person I should have known better :D ]
Good luck :D

He he no worries pheonix

thanks for the direction.

I'm still getting used to this. I've told my brother about this site too so there may be another Yorkshire man on soon....be warned!!

This site is is the best thing since sliced bread

moneypenny20 Jan 25th 2005 3:14 pm

Speaking for myself, that would be my ultimate nightmare. If mine said she wanted to come I would probably shoot myself but all the best for you and your mother
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Grayling Jan 25th 2005 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Hi Leedslad

You might be better off putting this on the immigration forum so one of the Migration Agents can help however from my experience so far [which is limited] I believe your mum can obtain a Contributory Parent visa or Retirement visa. There may be others I'm not sure about e.g Business Visa? [not sure on the criteria for this one]

Anyways, what I can tell you is that for the Contributory Visa your mum needs to pass the balance of family i.e there needs to be as many siblings in Aus as there are in UK e.g if you are one of four siblings then there will need to be at least 2 children in UK and 2 in Aus for your mum to be able to apply. I beleive this visa is temp and is re-assessed every 4 years. Not sure if your mum can apply for this whilst on a 6 month visa?

As for the Retirement Visa. I believe this is based on your mum being able to provide a bond and it is quite an expensive option however it is permenant and as long as your mum has X amount of cash [stipulated by DIMIA] then she can apply. I think your mum can also do this whilst residing in Aus too.

In summary: I may not be totally correct with the above info and certainly I've not been very specific re cash amounts etc so maybe if you ask about these types of visa on the Immigration site as someone more knowledgeable tmay be able to help you. Another good source is the DIMIA site itself and I think Grayling or Roger Williams may also be able to shed some light on these as they use this site too.

Apologies for not being specific or much help but there are Visas your mum can apply for and if you check these sites for either Contributory or Retirement visas I'm sure lots will crop up ;)

Good luck and hope your mum gets to live here with you in due course :)

Just to correct.

The Contributory parent visa is permanent. It includes medicare and work rights.

The retirement visa is 4 years and temporary but renewable.

G

leedslad Jan 25th 2005 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Speaking for myself, that would be my ultimate nightmare. If mine said she wanted to come I would probably shoot myself but all the best for you and your mother

lol i know what you mean moneypen20!! :scared: :D

but unfortunately we can't leave the old girl behind....only joking :)

i think as do the other sons, that if she doesn't come with us when we leave, she will never make it over.

Phoenixuk2oz Jan 25th 2005 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
Just to correct.

The Contributory parent visa is permanent. It includes medicare and work rights.

The retirement visa is 4 years and temporary but renewable.

G

OOps....there you go...seems I've dropped a big one there. Got it completely wrong re perm or temp residence. Thanks Grayling :D

TheCrone Jan 26th 2005 1:08 am

Cheers to your Mum for having the guts to uproot herself at her time of life!
And may I suggest that she looks at buying a unit in a retirement village somewhere near to where you and your brother live? That way, you all retain some privacy and most places have lots of activities she can join as a single independent lady when you're busy or she just doesn't feel like doing the family thing.
I took this step almost seven years ago and it works well for us; each of my daughters is a 15 minute drive away (in different directions), but we get together on a weekly basis - dinner and a movie - and speak on the phone almost daily. We don't live in each other's pockets, we have our own time and space for individual activities and we seem to remain closer than many other families that I know.

wombat42 Jan 26th 2005 6:37 am

If she does want to come telll her about the deadly Funnel Web spider outbreak in your area. How the recent hot weather combined with unusual high rainfall has resulted in these deadly spiders breeding in record numbers and mutating to 5 times their normal size. Tell her how you recently found a breeding nest of 600 in your bed and how they they come out of the water sprouts when you have a shower. Tell her how your pet dog died an agonising
death after being bitten. If she still decides to come to OZ atleast she wont
live anywhere near you. :D :D :D

moneypenny20 Jan 26th 2005 8:37 am

:D :D

Happily I am almost :eek: 100% sure she will never take the flight, but the rest of the family have promised they will come at the same time to relieve the pressure ;)

I can't decide if it's better to be in my position where I can go and know I won't miss her but have always known that she is not the mother I would wish on anyone, or those who have a great relationship with their mothers but move and miss her desperately. :confused:

scissors Jan 26th 2005 8:48 am

Ditto,penny i know which i would rather have,my mother really does rub me up the wrong way,it must be nice to have a close familt though.

tracey.

:D :D

Happily I am almost :eek: 100% sure she will never take the flight, but the rest of the family have promised they will come at the same time to relieve the pressure ;)

I can't decide if it's better to be in my position where I can go and know I won't miss her but have always known that she is not the mother I would wish on anyone, or those who have a great relationship with their mothers but move and miss her desperately. :confused:

JAJ Jan 26th 2005 10:35 am

Hi everyone!

Have you thought about a number of issues, including:

- what happens if she is refused entry on arrival? (DIMIA can do this if they think someone is planning to live in Australia by applying onshore)
- if she finds herself unable to apply onshore (possible)
- how long the wait will be if you don't take the contributory option (many years)
- consequences of being stuck on tourist visa conditions (eg no Medicare coverage)
- what happens if PR is refused (eg problems with sponsorship or assurance, health issues etc)
- complications of the bridging visa

With respect, what's wrong with her applying for a parent visa offshore?

Jeremy