Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mother in law-long stay in Oz and insurance

Mother in law-long stay in Oz and insurance

Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:03 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Mother in law-long stay in Oz and insurance

My MIL is coming out to see us at the end of June and is staying till around the end of November

Just in case anything happens, we need to get her some kind of long holiday insurance to cover her for every eventuality while she is in Oz.

Can anybody recommend a good company/insurance broker etc that would offer what she is looking for?

Rob
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother in law-long stay in Oz and insurance

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
My MIL is coming out to see us at the end of June and is staying till around the end of November

Just in case anything happens, we need to get her some kind of long holiday insurance to cover her for every eventuality while she is in Oz.

Can anybody recommend a good company/insurance broker etc that would offer what she is looking for?

Rob
Go Walkabout may be able to help and they are a good company.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:18 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Woah - that's a long stay - hope you get on well with her . We used AA travel insurance - they do one for about £120 (I think) that is valid for stays of up to a year - it covered the whole family.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
Hi Rob,

Sorry, dont have any info on the insurance but interested to know how your MIL is sorting a visa? My in laws would like to visit from September until after Xmas but when we have researched the visa situation, I can only find information on a visa for 3 months within a 12 month period. Could you give me any further info? Thanks

Julia
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Are your sure thats why you want her insured as we have all seen throw mommy from the train
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:16 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Hi Rob,

Sorry, dont have any info on the insurance but interested to know how your MIL is sorting a visa? My in laws would like to visit from September until after Xmas but when we have researched the visa situation, I can only find information on a visa for 3 months within a 12 month period. Could you give me any further info? Thanks

Julia
You can extend your stay on a holiday visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/extend/extend-visitor.htm#x2
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Rob

We're using Saga. There aren't that many insurance companies that will insure someone for 3 months - depends on the age - my MIL is 78. There are a HUGE amount of health questions you need to answer. Luckily our mother-in-law is in good health, but don't try and hide any health problems. Non-disclosure is a terrible thing in the insurance world. We phoned round about 8 large well known insurance companies and only one other would give us a quote. Can't for the life of me remember who it was but it was about £600 !!!! :scared:

Saga quoted around £400. I notice someone has posted in your thread saying they got annual insurance for £120 for a family. I think they'll find that the maximum stay on this type of family annual insurance is for a month at a time (though I would be happy to stand corrected - and if so - please give us the name of the company you are using!!).

We even phoned our Insurance broker in the UK to try and get us a cheaper quote, and were absolutely gobsmacked when they told us no-one they used was prepared to quote. Amazing!!!!

Any way - good luck - and if you find a company that is reputable and cheaper then please let me know!

Best wishes
Netta
Old Feb 20th 2006, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie
You can extend your stay on a holiday visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/extend/extend-visitor.htm#x2

Thanks for that link, we had heard that this was the case but I couldnt find anything other than the three month electronic visa application.

Julia