Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Most well connected suburb of Melbourne

Most well connected suburb of Melbourne

Old May 5th 2015, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

yellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant future
Default Most well connected suburb of Melbourne

Hey all,

We are planning on moving to Melbourne soon and I have been trolling this forum and various others and trying to figure out which would be the best suburb for us to live in.

We don't want to buy a car immediately so we really need to live in a well connected burb (public transport to city and other burbs, proximity to markets, Coles, Aldi etc)
I have sort of zeroed in on Hawthorn, Prahran, Preston, Brunswick East, Thornbury, Northcote (all at varying distances from the CBD) Our budget is around 300-400$ pw. I also liked some places in St. Kilda East but not sure about the kind of neighbourhood in this suburb.

It would also really help to know the streets in these areas that are well connected and close to local markets.

Also, is it really possible to live in Melbourne without a car? The public transport seems quite sorted but would be good to have some first hand know-how from people already living there.

Thanks!!!
Old May 5th 2015, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most well connected suburb of Melbourne

Originally Posted by yellowpuppy
Hey all,

We are planning on moving to Melbourne soon and I have been trolling this forum and various others and trying to figure out which would be the best suburb for us to live in.

We don't want to buy a car immediately so we really need to live in a well connected burb (public transport to city and other burbs, proximity to markets, Coles, Aldi etc)
I have sort of zeroed in on Hawthorn, Prahran, Preston, Brunswick East, Thornbury, Northcote (all at varying distances from the CBD) Our budget is around 300-400$ pw. I also liked some places in St. Kilda East but not sure about the kind of neighbourhood in this suburb.

It would also really help to know the streets in these areas that are well connected and close to local markets.

Also, is it really possible to live in Melbourne without a car? The public transport seems quite sorted but would be good to have some first hand know-how from people already living there.

Thanks!!!
Depending on suburb, yes certainly can manage without car.

Big price difference there in areas, Prahran V Preston for eg.

We stayed in some short term accom in Preston for a few night, wasnt that mad on the area. Too much traffic, noise.

Cousin lived in Prahran, big money required I though?

300 - 400 is that rent? We found renting v frustrating. Lots advertised as renovated, immaculate etc is complete crap, filty, old, wrecked, not like the piccys. Ended up desperate to find a new place after what we saw. 400 will get a new unit in a less flash suburb. Some hefty competition for the new units for obvious reason once you start looking. If you really want it, compete! submit a good application.

Markets vary according to area, but everywhere, prices definitely go with the area, rough area, amazing bargains, and your hardly in danger at a market at 10am in my opinion.
Old May 5th 2015, 7:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Thanks!!!
I live in St Kilda East (just!). I'm 10 mins walk to a choice of 2 train stations (same line - Sandringham). Trams are very nearby too. The main nearby shopping / eating strip is Carlisle St, Balaclava (roughly between Chapel St and Westbury St)...although parts of the suburb are probably closer to Chapel St, Windsor. Being carless is totally possible. Depending on where you are you could be less than 20 mins walk to St Kilda Beach and Acland St.

St Kilda East is very different from St Kilda in terms of ambiance and reputation! It's a nice suburb, much of it pretty leafy and quiet.

For best buzz I'd probably be looking in the part of the suburb bordered by Chapel St, Carlisle St, Alma Rd and Hotham St...if you can work what I mean from a map!

The local market is Prahran Market which is nice, but priced accordingly.

Not sure what you're seeing rental wise, $400 probably gets an OK 2 bed apartment although I think a lot of them are closer to $450.
Old May 5th 2015, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

yellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant futureyellowpuppy has a brilliant future

Thanks for the info....right now we don't mind a 1 bedder and there are some decent ones in the range of 350-400$ and few 2BR as well...Im a little worried that there seems to be some misreprentation on the rental websites with regard to the apartments..I just assumed they were genuine..Will just have to get there and figure it out i guess
Old May 5th 2015, 7:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info....right now we don't mind a 1 bedder and there are some decent ones in the range of 350-400$ and few 2BR as well...Im a little worried that there seems to be some misreprentation on the rental websites with regard to the apartments..I just assumed they were genuine..Will just have to get there and figure it out i guess
Well I would not sign up for one without seeing it in the flesh...and in all honestly you would probably struggle to secure a rental without being here anyway...so you should work on the assumption of using some temp accommodation prior to securing a rental.

I had a quick look and saw plenty that looked decent in the $400 ballpark, but I also saw some which are right on very busy main roads etc or the immediate vicinity is just no that appealing that I'd probably avoid - none of that is obvious from looking at the photos or map.
Old May 5th 2015, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

yes..thats the plan..In any case its mandatory to inspect an apartment before renting one in Australia...just wanted a feel for the best suburbs to look at once we are there.
Old May 5th 2015, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Also, how hard is it to secure a rental with no previous local rental history? What do new migrants normally do? I've heard that offering to pay 4-6 months rent in advance helps. Any other tips?
Old May 5th 2015, 8:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well I would not sign up for one without seeing it in the flesh...and in all honestly you would probably struggle to secure a rental without being here anyway...so you should work on the assumption of using some temp accommodation prior to securing a rental.
Yep, I would say that some short term accommodation was going to be needed anyway. And it's always important to look at them first.

Also, how hard is it to secure a rental with no previous local rental history? What do new migrants normally do? I've heard that offering to pay 4-6 months rent in advance helps. Any other tips?
A ref from a previous landlord helps, as does money in the bank. Agents tend to like Brits, we have a good reputation relative to the locals (bogans). You will find lots of forms and checks etc. here (more than the UK). Didn't find advance rent needed - you can play it by ear.

You say that you don't want to buy a car straight away, but you imply you might later on. If so I think I'd be thinking of what and where I eventually wanted and jumping accordingly. Close in means you can mostly get by on trams/trains/buses and nightlife is easy - but your get noise, the flats are small/old, and, well it's like living in any city. Further out is cheaper, the houses etc. are bigger (4 bed detached vs 1 bed flat) and you can have as much life as you want - but it's longer to get places and the need for a car goes up.

Don't forget, a car becomes necessary if you want to explore Victoria - and parking in heart of town is impossible. I'm convinced there are aussies who never leave the city, despite living such a big country!

I think I might look for a long term, short term let (6-8 weeks say) so that you can find your feet, explore your options, and decided which way to jump. It's also enough time, if you find you need, to get a car - and means you don't have to jump at the first available rental.

Plus, of course, a job will have a big drive on location.
Old May 5th 2015, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Well, we are Indian, not sure how that's going to fly with the agents given that we will be without jobs initially. We are however, well spoken and well educated and have lived around the world. We will have some money in the bank so that should help.
I have heard that in most instances you don't really get to meet the agents and you just have to submit your application. Given the reputation that most Indian migrants have of being xenophobic, challenged linguistically, etc I am concerned that we won't make for very attractive tenants on paper.
I am guessing that we will have to prove our credibility through $$$. Oh well!!
Old May 5th 2015, 8:24 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we are Indian, not sure how that's going to fly with the agents given that we will be without jobs initially. We are however, well spoken and well educated and have lived around the world. We will have some money in the bank so that should help.
Lots of Indians around, so they can't afford to be too bad!

Not having a job straight off is not unusual.

Reputation of driving capabilities however ....

You might find Where Australia's immigrants were born: Melbourne | SBS World News of some use. It gives you a clue of where you might find like minds (and shops).

I have heard that in most instances you don't really get to meet the agents and you just have to submit your application. Given the reputation that most Indian migrants have of being xenophobic, challenged linguistically, etc I am concerned that we won't make for very attractive tenants on paper.
Nah, when they hold open house inspections there is usually the suited agent there at the door, handing out application forms to those interested. Personal impressions are quite possible.
Old May 5th 2015, 8:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

I am guessing that we will have to prove our credibility through $$$. Oh well!!
You'll meet the agent at open for inspections...possibly along with lots of other prospective tenants though! Now that you mention being Indian, I was surprised to see census stats recently that after Australian born, India was the next largest contributor in Balaclava (per Garry's map!)...the other suburb in 3183 postcode. I can't say I've noticed an abundance of Indians around...generally you might say it's a very Jewish area, meaning you see lots of Orthodox Jews around...men in strange furry hats, women wearing wigs etc...quite a few local businesses are closed on Saturdays.

Last edited by bcworld; May 5th 2015 at 8:31 am.
Old May 5th 2015, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

LOL on the "Reputation of driving capabilities however"
Old May 5th 2015, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Incidentally, we aren't really looking for "Indian" areas... We want to dive right into the culture of life in Melbourne. Any suburb with a good mix of people is great (and should be safe too)..
Old May 5th 2015, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

as others have said, it is absolutely possible to live in Melbourne without a car. My experience is probably at the more extreme end of the spectrum though!

When we moved to Melbourne at the end of 2010, we managed without a car for almost 1 1/2 years. We live in the south eastern suburb of Glen Waverley, at the end of one of the metro train lines into the city and with a fairly extensive network of bus routes radiating out from Glen Waverley itself. We used public transport almost exclusively, although we hired cars on odd weekends to go beyond the city and see Victoria. I found that to be be a good compromise.

Although we managed OK without a car, in the end we decided that whilst it had been an interesting social experiment (we ran 2 cars in England, but lived in a small village with no public transport), we did need to get a car. Several times, our 2 kids needed to be in places that were nowhere near each other at roughly the same time and we found public transport wasn't flexible enough.
Old May 5th 2015, 10:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Most well connected suburb of Melbourne

Hi, some short term accommodation providers (such as ourselves) will provide a landlords reference for people booking with us.

Please PM me if you would like details of our studio apartment.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.