Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The most irritating phrase in the English language?

Wikiposts

The most irritating phrase in the English language?

Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by seang
find the use of "well basically" extreme irritation
The 'bottom line is' that 'I am in concordance' with you.

OzTennis
Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:53 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
The 'bottom line is' that 'I am in concordance' with you.

OzTennis

glad to see we are on the same page
Old Mar 24th 2004, 3:32 am
Triple Expat!

JimInSomerset is an unknown quantity at this point

"For your comfort and convenience."

"To improve our customer service."

Two phrases guaranteed to mean a lowering of standards.

Jim
Old Mar 24th 2004, 4:08 am
Impressive Member

lostkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on - can't anyone think "outside of the box".....
Old Mar 24th 2004, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

I ain`t being funny, but!
Yeah right! (often from kids)
Cool!
Come on!!
The old man/girl

Old Mar 24th 2004, 5:14 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

The best has to be 'believe you me'. Don't know what dialect it is, but have used it myself on a regular basis over the years but have never really been able to suss out what it actually means, pmsl.

Example: If have another fight, believe you me, you'll be sorry.

Hope your head is now spinning like mine has for years, lol.

Sarah
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The most irritating phrase in the English language?

Originally posted by OzTennis

24/7; absolutely; address the issue; around (in place of "about"); awesome; ballpark figure; basically; basis ("on a weekly basis" in place of "weekly" and so on); bear with me; between a rock and a hard place; blue sky (thinking); boggles the mind; bottom line; crack troops; diamond geezer; epicentre (used incorrectly); glass half full (or half empty); going forward; I hear what you're saying; in terms of; it's not rocket science; literally; move the goal-posts; ongoing; prioritise; pushing the envelope; singing from the same hymn sheet; the fact of the matter is; thinking outside the box; to be honest/to be honest with you/to be perfectly honest; touch base; up to (in place of "about"); and value-added (in general use).

Further contributions welcome!
OzTennis
This reminded me of 'The Office' I'm sure I've heard David Brent use all of these!

'text me' really pees me off as hate mobiles, 'getting wronged' (that's definitely just round here I think as in Yorkshire we used to get 'done' when we were in trouble!)

sandy
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:51 am
Just Joined

tricky nick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default certainly AM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU GOING ON HOLIDAY ? CERTAINLY AM !!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOU LIKE CAKE ? CERTAINLY DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EAT THE CAKE CERTAINLY WILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOO THAT PISSES ME OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:22 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

My ears hurt now!!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:01 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Here you go, "Buzzword Bingo" for the next time that you're stuck in a seemingly never ending business meeting :-

http://www.codehot.co.uk/puzzle/bingo1.htm

My game time seems to shorten with the number of young graddies in attendance
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
The ones I really hate are all the business buzzwords, such as "we have to pick the low hanging fruit"

We've found a way to make concalls and meeting fun now by playing Buzzword Bingo. For those that havent heard of it click the link below and have some fun at the next boring staff meeting or whatever.

http://isd.usc.edu/~karl/Bingo/bbbingo.html

The other one we have great fun with is http://www.outofservice.com/buzzword/
Grab a phrase off here and then the challenge is to find a way to work it into a concall or meeting in such a context that nobody challenges you but just nods wisely. The best is if you can get somebody to re-use it in another meeting.
Why-oh-why-oh-why did you have to post the outofservice.com link?? Now I have to spend the rest of the night doing all of the quizzes, it's the law, it cannot be avoided. I've already found out that I like edgy, aggressive music and this means that:

"People high on this dimension tend to enjoy Alternative, Rock, and Heavy Metal music. On the Edgy & Aggressive Dimension you fell in the 92 percentile. This score is very high.

Based on your responses, you scored above average on the edgy and aggressive music-preference dimension. Research in our laboratory indicates that people high on this dimension, like you, often have the following characteristics:

People with high scores on the energetic and aggressive music-preference dimension tend to enjoy taking risks and engaging in thrilling experiences. They also tend to be dominant, imaginative, and energetic. They tend to be politically liberal, and believe that freedom, independence, and excitement are important aspects of life. When it comes to lifestyle, lovers of edgy and aggressive music, tend to come from the middle to lower classes. As for media entertainment, they're likely to enjoy watching action, science fiction, fantasy, war, and horror movies."

Okay, it may be a little bit accurate, I'll have to go and do another now!!!

sandy
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:29 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

"your call is valuable to us"
IF ITS SO FREAKING VALUABLE WHY DON'T YOU EMPLOY MORE PHONE PEOPLE!!!!!

(because they all leave after 3 weeks!!, sorry Jane, couldn't resist )
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:57 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

"obviously" is a word that seems to be getting overused in the UK a lot at the moment.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

If you think "like" is overused in the UK, try living in a student community in the US. Every second word is 'like'. It drives me nuts (is that an annoying phrase though?....)

Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

if anyone calls anything "squiffy" i want to kick them in the nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.