Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

most daunting bit after 'the move'

most daunting bit after 'the move'

Old Jan 13th 2005, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: most daunting bit after 'the move'

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Okay, good things to sort out quickly are;
Tax file number - as soon as your visa is validated you can apply online www.ato.com.au
Medicare - within 10days you should be able to go to any medicare office with your passport, get a temp card, then your plastic one will be in the post within a few weeks
Bank a/c - do it within 6 weeks to claim 100 points from your passport
Job - depends on the field. don't forget Aussie resumes are in a slightly longer format, you can get help here and here for this.
Credit - Assuming you have PR you should be able to get credit. Certainly 'you' can buy cars on credit here, but as I bought my car privately I'm afraid I dont know the details.
If you're looking for a mortgage, you may have to get permission from the FIRB

Hope this helps a bit!
Do you know where you NOW go to with regards to the Driving Licence?
I couldn't see the new info about not having to take a Theory Test on the main website tht has been mentioned here several times?
Old Jan 13th 2005, 1:29 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Tax file number - as soon as your visa is validated you can apply online www.ato.com.au
Medicare - within 10days you should be able to go to any medicare office with your passport, get a temp card, then your plastic one will be in the post within a few weeks
Job - depends on the field. don't forget Aussie resumes are in a slightly longer format, you can get help here and here for this.
Credit - Assuming you have PR you should be able to get credit. Certainly 'you' can buy cars on credit here, but as I bought my car privately I'm afraid I dont know the details.

Hope this helps a bit!

Thanks mlbonner,
i guess we will just have to wait and see what happens when we get there..
can't wait now ...
Old Jan 13th 2005, 2:28 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hope this helps a bit!

Hi Michelle,

I know I'm probably being really dull - but what's the '100 points from your visa' for the bank account mean???

Shell
x

ps, I've sent you a PM
Old Jan 13th 2005, 3:04 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi Michelle,

I know I'm probably being really dull - but what's the '100 points from your visa' for the bank account mean???

Shell
x

ps, I've sent you a PM
i think its something to do with getting a number of points needed to open an account, personally ive been very lucky as a friend works for westpac and they opened one for us ...

i think you only need the points if you are an imigrant and just arrived ??

dunno someone else will have to enlighten me more ...
Old Jan 13th 2005, 4:11 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

It is exactly to do with needing ID

when you normally open a bank account ( in most cases, to avoid being flamed ) you need to provide things like utility bills, lease agreements, etc etc...

Since you are a newly arrived pom you are allowed to use your passport in lieu of some of these things but only if you apply in the first 6 weeks after arriving otherwise they consider you should have a house/water/etc to show them.

Its all about money laundering rules and things that banks have to operate under + they dont want you nicking their money. (they reserve the monopoly on that )
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: most daunting bit after 'the move'/usefull hints for stephenwhite68

Originally Posted by sunny side up
hi all,

have been in perth for 5 weeks now (or is it six..have to count) and i'm absolutely loving it...settling in quite well - have met the perth ladies (thanks for welcoming me!), will get a car soon, got my drivers license (thanks for letting us know that we no longer have to do the test, warren!), did all the things that had to be done in the first few weeks...but now its time to get a job...

dont get me wrong - i really cant wait to get a job, but this has to be the scariest thing so far - didnt think it would feel like this - a great big minefield...

just looking at the job-ads in the papers....receptionist-must have at least 5 years experience - no offence, but dont people usually work themselves up from being a receptionist?? you seem to have be very highly qualified for almost any job and with no relevant experience i feel a bit lost.

i've been working at a council as a rates officer for the past 5 years - but will not be able to work in that field here for a while due to different laws and all that...but then what...seems to me that you'd need a uni degree just to do data-entry here...

well anyway - had my whinge...would like to hear what your most daunting task was when you moved here....

please share!

tanja
Reading your post I can totally sympathise with you.
I have done numerous reception jobs in the past and believe me have not needed anything like 5 years experience I have also worked in Local Government but I suppose its a totally different ball game in a new country.
My advise is to take the bull by the horns and just go for anything you think
will suit you and be confident (says me who has not worked for two years bringing up my children)although probably have worked harder than anybody but thats a different story.
What I am trying to say is Good Luck it doesn't look as though its going to be easy and I will probably feel exacltly the same when my time comes. Something will turn up that will be right I'm sure.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:43 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by spalen
It is exactly to do with needing ID

when you normally open a bank account ( in most cases, to avoid being flamed ) you need to provide things like utility bills, lease agreements, etc etc...

Since you are a newly arrived pom you are allowed to use your passport in lieu of some of these things but only if you apply in the first 6 weeks after arriving otherwise they consider you should have a house/water/etc to show them.

Its all about money laundering rules and things that banks have to operate under + they dont want you nicking their money. (they reserve the monopoly on that )

Shell - exactly this re. bank ID. You need 100 points to open an account, your passport counts for 100 but only for the first 6 weeks, after that I think its 60 and you'd need other proof of ID

Did you send me a PM last night, I didnt get one!
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:44 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I couldn't see the new info about not having to take a Theory Test on the main website tht has been mentioned here several times?
Which state are you going to? You won't be able to do the licence in the UK though, as even though you can practice online you can only take the test in a Transport centre.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:12 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting work here can be more of an issue because Aussied like certificates and qualifications and licences.For example I need a licence to have a cat .
What you should do is :
contact a local TAFE with a view to getting on a short course that will give you a certificate.
Re write your resume listing in bullet point all your transferable skills :
think about it you have many including computer skills,communication skills,
ability to work to deadlines under pressure etc.
You need a skeleton resume and need to tailor it to each job you apply for.
Recruitment agencies sometimes like the three course meal resume with everything thrown in , so they can match your skills.
remember that a resume is designed to get you a interview only.
Do some research about the organisation you are applying to if you get an interview and ask some intelligent questions.
You are not required by law to put your age on your resume,nor is it necessary to put your nationality as they will pick that up from your history-
re history- keep it short-description and achievements and responsibilities-bullet point.
If it's not relevent leave it out .
re interviews, avoid saying " to be honest.." aussies think that means you are hiding something.
avoid saying "obviously..." aussues can get offended thinkingyou think that the question they asked was stupid and obviously.
Don't pause too long before you answer a question.Some see silence as time to make up a lie.
Eye contact- everyone says look people in the eye to appear sincere.I think that is misguided.Follow the lead of the person you are talking too.If they avoid eye contact or appear unsettled by yours, mimick their actions to make them feel comfortable.
Aussies don't understand real english humour except monty python so drop the innuendoes.They do thank god , get dry humour .
Be persistant and someone should post a thread if they know that their company is looking for someone !
100 point id is needed for opening bank accounts, driving licences or anything like applying for credit cards,finance etc.
A good way to build up credit is to buy things on interest free credit and make sure you pay it back in the interest free time.
A D/L usually is worth 70 points, a bank card/credit card 50 points.If proof of residence is required a utility bill or rental lease is sufficient.
Most checks on credit are done through your drivers licence number , so get the licence sorted out soonest.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

you go to a licensing centre - of which there are a few scattered around the city.

tanja
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:59 pm
maggy

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
just anything that you feel could benefit someone just about to land ?
might be a little thing but it could help me

My main issues are getting a Job and buying a car, would love to know if its possible to pay a deposit for a car and then get the rest on Credit (help start our credit history)

anything really ...
Yes you can put down a deposit and finance the rest of the loan no problem.

We bought our car the same way and we had only been here 3 weeks.