Reload this Page >

The most complained about in Australia

The most complained about in Australia

Old Jul 11th 2002, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The most complained about in Australia

Hi,

Could I have opinions of Australian or PRs who had stayed in Australia about the most complained about in Australia?

You know, anything that you don't want it to happen the most in your society or in living in Australia.

I have seen the good things and of course I admire it. But I also want to see the negative sides. Just to get me prepared mentally and financially.

Thanks
Wil
Old Jul 11th 2002, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The most complained about in Australia

We live in Brisbane. I would honestly say the most complained thing we hear, from Aussies and immigrants is the WEATHER Thats right, from Oct _ May it was absolutely disgusting. Most days were up in the high 30's and the humidity is like being in a Bangkok Brothel. Sorry but it is foul, everyone we know hated it, and that includes every Aussie I know. The temperatures recorded here are taken in ventilated boxes placed in the shade with breeze. Everbody says they should take the temp in the sun and report it as it really is. (Winter is lovely tho)

Second biggest winge would be 'Dole Bludgers'. Anyone who works hates them. Think families who are third generation bludgers, people with four kids who have never worked. Just today I heard this one twice. When my kids were still in school the school asked for a $20.00 (8 quid a year donation to get extra books and computers). Out of 800 familes only 123 found their kids education important enough to help. I really hate the free hand out mentality.

And before the "I am immigrating to Heaven Society" come to lynch me I am only replying to somebodys question. And yes I really have been in a Bankok brothel but I was a lost tourist at the time.

As I have said two bad things here are two good ones. Cheap food. Cheap Clothes.
Old Jul 11th 2002, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Yes, I've often wondered why they record what the temperature is like "in the shade" - surely we all want to know what the temperature is going to be like in the sun ! I personally find the humidity a lot more uncomfortable than hot weather so I don't envy you the weather in Queensland. We have relatives up in Townsville so, presumably, the humidity will be worse up there (further North) ?

I for one support Australia's policy of immigrants not getting any benefits for 2 years as it encourages people to either bring sufficient money OR be prepared to contribute from Day 1. Shame not all of the indigenous population feels the same way and wants to contribute to society !

I know it must grate on the people who live with the daily trials and tribulations of Australian life that we (prospective) migrants can sometimes seem so oblivious to Oz's faults. We're not really that naive, we have just taken the decision that we can do better elsewhere and we are a bit giddy because we have made the change !

GW
Old Jul 11th 2002, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

FiferJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

OK i may be walking right into this one but to measure temperature the device needs to be covered and in the shade, for it is the ambient/atmospheric temp that we are after, not many people stand in full sunlight on really hot days, well personally i look for the shade. Also it needs to be protected for other factors that may magnify light onto it which could also give inaccurate readings.
Old Jul 11th 2002, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dotty,

Can you elaborate more on 'Dole Bludgers'? I am not too familiar with Australian society (besides my imagination that Oz is a beautiful country and country with friendly people). I had been in Oz before for holidays though. And I love the country.

Does it mean that these people rely on government support (from tax) to continue their good living? And never work?

It is unimaginable. My decision to migrate to Oz would be many, many good reason, but to enjoy someone else support. Balance between work and life is what attracts me most, but not being lazy and relying on support.

Thank you for your honest reply. It is good for migrant to be to know good and bad about the new place. It helps us get prepared and take the decision wholeheartedly.

Rgrds,
Wil
Old Jul 11th 2002, 5:41 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Mein Gott. Willi, some people are handout merchants!

Dole bludger = live off the all-too-generous state without working or making, say, a bit of voluntary assistance effort to deserve it.

All the best
Old Jul 11th 2002, 8:20 pm
Robert Edwards

Yvonne, you don't need to justify to us why you were in a Bangkok
Brothel...(joke).....seriously though, I live on the Gold Coast which is just South
of Brisbane and seriously love it, but then again there are a lot of places in Oz I
would not hesitate to live in........the weather "thing" can vary somewhat and
especially for those coming from the UK I would not have thought that Brisbane (to a
lesser degree) and further North to Townsville and Cairns would be ideal as far as
climate is concerned though I guess you can acclimatise....Right on about "Dole
Bludgers" it is a sore point with many people who work their lives and see this great
Social Security Machine churning on .........not that most of us would not wish those
in genuine need to be supported but as Yvonne has stated Third generation dole
bludgers tend to grate a bit. As I have said before in this NG the streets are not
paved with gold (hard to believe I know) but for young families who enjoy seeing
their kids living their lives, the everyday access to affordable high quality food
and housing as well as the stable political climate make it hard to beat...Sorry for
getting back onto the good things but its hard not to for me I am biased.

Rob Edwards www.australianaustralia.com

"dotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Old Jul 12th 2002, 4:14 am
Axel Van Kampen

1. The handout society who does just wants to bludge instead of working.

2. Having to drive on the left side of the road.

Great food, cheap petrol, great lifestyle.

"willywh3r3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could I have opinions of Australian or PRs who had stayed in Australia about the
    > most complained about in Australia?
    >
    > You know, anything that you don't want it to happen the most in your society or in
    > living in Australia.
    >
    > I have seen the good things and of course I admire it. But I also want to see the
    > negative sides. Just to get me prepared mentally and financially.
    >
    > Thanks Wil
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Yvonne
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 12th 2002, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

mb_bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I do hope this will be of assistance.

I am Australian, I was born in Western Australia and now reside in NSW. I am currently looking to migrate to ********, people ask me why and are stunned by my answer; ie. "I hate this Country".

Why?

1. One of the most complained about issues in this country is immigration. People who live in this country forget that we are all immigrants. This land was stolen from the indigenous people of Australia by our ancestors, and now, for some unknown reason, the greater majority here feel they have the right to shut the door to 'others' seeking a better lifestyle. 'Others' being those from quite often less fortunate circumstances.

There is very little compassion in this country for the international community at large, and this mindset generally originates from uneducated, unintelligent fools. These people have no understanding of macro economics, yet so boisterously voice their impudent opinion.

The current conservative government, the Coalition Party (formed by the union of the Liberal and National Party), used heinous tactics to win last years federal election. Knowing that the population of Australia are predominantly illiterate fools, the Coalition Party, a few weeks before the election, stopped a vessel, containing illegal immigrants from entering Australia's waters. This was nothing more than a political ploy, as they knew such action would largely be supported by ignorant voters. One month prior to the election, the Labour Party (Left/Centrists) had a clear majority in all the polls, after the "Tampa" incident, the Coalition Came out miles in front.

One cannot blame the Coalition for engaging in such ruthless tactics, after all, this type of behaviour is generally expected of right wing conservatives. But what I say is, I do not wish to live, nor be a citizen, or a member of the population that politically rewards such inhumane acts.

Leaving that aside for the time being, I may shed some light on more black & white issues at hand:

1. Australia suffers the burdens of a small, isolated economy. Consumer goods are relatively expensive due to:

i. Protection of Domestic Industries - Eg. To protect the jobs of 3000 Holden workers, Australia protects this industry by laying down a 100% tariff on all imported cars. The logic? If they do not, everyone will buy the BMW for $23k, as opposed to the Holden Commodore for $32k. So the government slaps another $23k on the BMW and pockets the rest. Consumers therefor have the option of the Holden for $32k or the BMW for $46k.

2. A high marginal rate of Tax plus a 10% GST - there was a time when these taxes were more than necessary. However, with the privatisation of Health and many Educational facilities, one wonders why the marginal rate has not been lowered, or at least distributed to those in need of it.

3. Small market - Big Monopolies, I think this is self explanatory.

I do not mean to put you off. I am Australian, and am ashamed of it. I crave the day when I can call myself a ********. I love what ******** stands for and detest what the Australian people have become.

It is important that you know that I am not a blue collar worker, biased from my own economic hardships. I come from a sound economic background, and married into a wealthy family. It is not myself who is hindered by the repulsive self destruction of this society, it will be hard working folk such as yourself. I believe you have the right to know these facts before you embark on your quest.

All the best for your future endeavours,

Mike.
Old Jul 12th 2002, 8:56 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Mike,

Perhaps you should share which country it is you are wanting to migrate to because I don't know of any around the world that doesn't behave the same as Australia, from what you have said about it.

As for the business with the cars, here in the Uk we import so many cars from abroad that most (if not all) of our car manufactures have all closed down making thousands redundant. At least Australia is looking after its own.

Susan
Old Jul 12th 2002, 10:12 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Susan,

No disrespect intended but your information is dud. From http://www.dti.gov.uk/sectors_automotive.html:

'Overview

The UK automotive industry employs around 850,000 people and is worth approximately £40 billion, representing 8% of the global industry size. It contributes 3.4% of gross domestic product and 9% of the UK's total exports.

The automotive components sector, which employs 150,000 people, has an annual turnover of £12 billion, and exports £7.1 billion; the caravan sector exports £100 million per annum; tyres traded from the UK are worth £800 million. Britain's 1,000 autosport companies and the design engineering sector are also highly successful in global markets. Around 7,000 franchised dealers and 15,000 independent garages (mostly small and medium sized businesses) employ a total of 300,000 employees in the UK's automotive retail, distribution and maintenance sector. '

Here are more statistics on UK Vehicle Production 1980 - 2001 (units) from http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/statis...uction/uk.html

Year Cars Commercial Total
1980 923,744 389,170 1,312,914
1981 954,650 229,555 1,184,205
1982 887,679 268,798 1,156,477
1983 1,044,597 244,514 1,289,111
1984 908,906 224,825 1,133,731
1985 1,047,973 263,283 1,311,256
1986 1,018,962 228,685 1,247,647
1987 1,142,985 246,727 1,389,712
1988 1,226,835 317,270 1,544,105
1989 1,299,082 326,590 1,625,672
1990 1,295,611 270,346 1,565,957
1991 1,236,900 217,141 1,454,041
1992 1,291,880 248,453 1,540,333
1993 1,375,524 193,467 1,568,991
1994 1,466,823 227,815 1,694,638
1995 1,523,084 233,001 1,756,085
1996 1,686,134 238,314 1,924,448
1997 1,697,966 237,698 1,935,664
1998 1,748,305 227,379 1,975,684
1999 1,786,624 185,907 1,972,531
2000 1,630,597 185,302 1,815,899
2001 1,492,146 192,872 1,685,018

Source: Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)

So there has been some decline since 1999, which you might expect with the global stagnation/ recession, but otherwise the automotive industry is healthy.

All the best
Old Jul 12th 2002, 12:20 pm
Tony Bryer

In article <[email protected]>, Heading downunder 2002 wrote:
    > As for the business with the cars, here in the Uk we import so many cars from
    > abroad that most (if not all) of our car manufactures have all closed down making
    > thousands redundant.

I think you'll find that we're actually making more cars now than for a generation.
True, a significant proportion have Honda, Toyota and Nissan badges on them. As for
those made redundant, this is partly down to automation, and partly down to the bad
management and militant unionism in the 1960's and 1970's that destroyed BMC (which
was once a multinational with an Australian subsidiary) and its descendants, handing
over the customers to the Japanese.

In another place there is a discussion on the reopening of the General Motors station
in Melbourne, built (as the name suggests) to serve a long closed car plant.

--
Tony Bryer UK

Old Jul 12th 2002, 10:20 pm
Robert Edwards

Oh my God...it is one thing to have a differing opinion but to slant your post with
absolute inaccuracies is another thing,
1. Immigration is NOT one of the most complained about issues in this Country at all
...Illegal que jumpers are but not those who use the legal due process.

2. You say there is very little compassion in this Country for the International
community at large, this is NOT true as Australia is in the top three countries
in the world "pro rata" for providing funds for the infrastructure, health and
maintenance provisions for other countries.This is not insignificant and is far
from showing a lack of compassion.

3. You seem to have a problem with the current Government, which is fine but what
are these "heinous tactics" you speak of, "illiterate fools"? illegal
immigrants are stopped from entering this country whenever they attempt to
enter for us much their own safety as for the fact they are paying to break the
law and jump the que, I think a majority of Australians support a strong stance
by the current Government as indicated by the polls and I for one make no
apology for it, if these and other illegal entrants are given places at the
head of the que then the total amount of people who use the due process to
apply for entry is reduced, is that fair? NO WAY.

4. I agree with you that we in Australia do suffer from some isolation and some
goods are more expensive BUT they are generally what is termed LUXURY GOODS
they are certainly not your every day food and consumption items. Not sure
where the relationship between marginal tax rates and what you call the
privatisation of health and Educational facilities, I do not know of more than
two such facilities that have been privatised, however even you would concede
that the GST rate of 10% is very competitive internationally and that ensured a
considerable reduction if the PAYE tax rate across the board. Australia because
of its size and lack of a substantial population (currently 19.7 million) the
comparative cost of infrastructure is obviously going to be higher.

5. That's ok the you want to leave Australia..by why the secret as to where you
want to migrate to? mmm

6. All the best Mike I hope you find that Garden of Eden you seek.

Rob Edwards www.australianaustralia.com www.australianaustralia.com.au

Old Jul 13th 2002, 12:20 am
Alex V. Stoddar

Just out of curiousity, who was #1? The United States?

> 2. You say there is very little compassion in this Country for the International
    > community at large, this is NOT true as Australia is in the top three
    > countries in the world "pro rata" for providing funds for the infrastructure,
    > health and maintenance provisions for other countries.This is not
    > insignificant and is far from showing a lack of compassion.

Old Jul 13th 2002, 12:20 am
Robert Edwards

Sweden I think (from memory)

"Alex V. Stoddard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Just out of curiousity, who was #1? The United States?
    >
    > > 2. You say there is very little compassion in this Country for the
    > > International community at large, this is NOT true as Australia is in
the
    > > top three countries in the world "pro rata" for providing funds for the
    > > infrastructure, health and maintenance provisions for other
countries.This
    > > is not insignificant and is far from showing a lack of compassion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.