Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The most common causes of death where you live

The most common causes of death where you live

Old Aug 7th 2018, 4:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The most common causes of death where you live

https://www.theage.com.au/national/t...01-p4zux6.html

I was surprised at the high dementia score.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 5:17 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most common causes of death where you live

Does nobody die of old age any more?
Old Aug 7th 2018, 6:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608

So much to look forward to!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 8:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised to see suicide so high. Adelaide (#4), Melbourne (#5).
Old Aug 7th 2018, 11:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

No surprise to me. People live longer now, so diagnoses of dementia and cancer have increased in line with that.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 11:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I was surprised to see suicide so high. Adelaide (#4), Melbourne (#5).
Sadly not surprised by that one, with two friends and two acquaintances gone already this year.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 12:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
No, they like a real reason. My parents died at 79 and 89. Both apparently had cancer but there was no sign, symptom or treatment beforehand. Old age doesn't cut it.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 12:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sadly not surprised by that one, with two friends and two acquaintances gone already this year.
Sorry to hear that Polly.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

They do where I live-maybe I'm next!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 11:58 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No, they like a real reason. My parents died at 79 and 89. Both apparently had cancer but there was no sign, symptom or treatment beforehand. Old age doesn't cut it.
To me this whole "let's find a disease we can pin it on" misses the point. Past a certain age you just wear out and if it's not one thing that carries you off, it'll be another. Doctors have a annotation for it - "CTD" or "circling the drain". At that stage you shouldn't be trying to fix whatever disease or malady you have, just for the next one to come along a few months later.

I'm thinking back and I can't think of one friend or acquaintance I've had that has committed suicide. Accident, murder, and any number of diseases - but no suicide. I wonder what the stats on that looks like, are some people more likely to have friends that top themselves?
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking back and I can't think of one friend or acquaintance I've had that has committed suicide. Accident, murder, and any number of diseases - but no suicide. I wonder what the stats on that looks like, are some people more likely to have friends that top themselves?
As the mother of a child who died of suicide I find your post's language offensive . People who have mental illness don't "commit" mental illness. They may die of it, but to use the word commit makes the act of suicide sound like a crime. People don't commit cancer or heart disease, do they? My son died of a completed suicide. He did not commit a crime. He also did not "top himself".

How about when answering someone who has lost friends you try being a bit more sensitive?

And no, suicide does not discriminate . People from all walks of life take their lives. Rich, poor, old, young (in one of my groups there are parents who've lost 12 year old children), all colours, religions and all cultures. I would say it is likely that you do know someone who has died of suicide. However there's still a ridiculous stigma so a lot of people will cover it up and say the death was something else.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, Poll. It's shit for those left behind .
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:19 am
Concierge

To me this whole "let's find a disease we can pin it on" misses the point. Past a certain age you just wear out and if it's not one thing that carries you off, it'll be another. Doctors have a annotation for it - "CTD" or "circling the drain". At that stage you shouldn't be trying to fix whatever disease or malady you have, just for the next one to come along a few months later.

So you think there should be a cut off age, after which any health condition shouldn't be treated?
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As the mother of a child who died of suicide I find your post's language offensive . People who have mental illness don't "commit" mental illness. They may die of it, but to use the word commit makes the act of suicide sound like a crime. ​
You may not like the way it's described, but it IS the form of words that are generally used in English. The reason for that is before the Suicide Act of 1961, attempting to commit suicide WAS a crime - if you tried and failed you could be jailed, and the family of someone who did could be charged as complicit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Act_1961
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
So you think there should be a cut off age, after which any health condition shouldn't be treated?
I think there should be a recognition that when someone reaches a certain state (not age) that interventions are more problematic than allowing someone to die (cf 'do not resuscitate'). That links to the idea of voluntary euthanasia and giving people control of their own life (and death).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.