Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Most Aussies don't get a Pay rise?!?!?

Wikiposts

Most Aussies don't get a Pay rise?!?!?

Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

linds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nice
Default Re: Most Aussies don't get a Pay rise?!?!?

I suppose its like everything, it depends who you work for and what proffession you in.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 10:16 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleb2003
My wife was chatting to her Toddlers group mothers and every one of them said none of their husbands got a pay rise in at least 4 years and that an 'inflation' annual pay rise is foreign to them, they never heard of it.

Are Aussies Schmucks? Why do they put up with it?
Would seem they are howard & costello believers is why. Actually, last election more voted for labor but gerrymandering meant the gov was returned.

Low income earners have just got a $10 a week rise, which means $7 in pocket. Enough for a loaf of reasonable quality bread and a couple litres of milk. Life changing! This is what happens when unions are made scapegoats and devalued by propaganda and lose membership and power base.

Top end of town, who don't actually need (nor in many cases deserve) a pay rise get pay increases of from $20,000 to $1,000,000 or even more!

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jul 7th 2007 at 10:23 am.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Most Aussies don't get a Pay rise?!?!?

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Would seem they are howard & costello believers is why. Actually, last election more voted for labor but gerrymandering meant the gov was returned.
Results of the 2004 federal election:

Liberal Party of Australia: 4,781,313 (40.8%)

Australian Labor Party: 4,409,117 (37.64%)
Wikipedia.

See also the ABC (here) and AEC (here).

The AEC breakdown shows that the Coalition government received 5,390,114 1st preference votes (45%) while Labour received 4,186,715 (35%).

Last time I checked, 5,390,114 was higher than 4,186,715 and 45% was greater than 35%.

Low income earners have just got a $10 a week rise, which means $7 in pocket. Enough for a loaf of reasonable quality bread and a couple litres of milk. Life changing! This is what happens when unions are made scapegoats and devalued by propaganda and lose membership and power base.

Top end of town, who don't actually need (nor in many cases deserve) a pay rise get pay increases of from $20,000 to $1,000,000 or even more!
I agree that the minimum wage needs to go up. As for corporate fat cats voting pay rises for themselves; that's a matter for their shareholders. It is neither the government's fault, nor the government's responsibility.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 10:23 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

In my experience in Brisbanes IT industry inflationary pay rises are very much the rarity rather than the norm.

If you want a payrise you have to be prepared to find a new job (I've changed jobs frequently and managed to achieve decent payrises - but they'ev rarely been offered! (This is of course economic madness from Employers since the cost of re-hiring is WAAY more than the cost of payrises )