Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Most afforable way of transferring money from US to Australian bank

Most afforable way of transferring money from US to Australian bank

Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough
Default Most afforable way of transferring money from US to Australian bank

Does anyone have experience with transferring money from a US to Australian bank? What is the best and most affordable way?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Most afforable way of transferring money from US to Australian bank

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
Does anyone have experience with transferring money from a US to Australian bank? What is the best and most affordable way?
Plenty of experience. Never had a problem and although people seem to use one company that advertises on here, I use XE.com (their trading arm) which has been terrific. We often have to send cash over to top up our bank account when the rent fails to cover the mortgage on our house (often happens) and it's always been there.

Simply put, once you have an 'account' to transfer money with them, you:

Go online and log into their site
State the amount you wish to send and where you want it to go (we have a couple of bank accounts in Aus so select the right one)
They then give you their UK bank account details and a unique reference code - you then have 4-5 days to transfer that amount of money from your UK bank account to their UK bank account. They then receive it and send it on for you. If you do this on-line it is free.

There is no commission, and they always have very competitive rates. There is a charge of about £6 or £8 UK end for the transfer across to Aus but that's it. Most we have transferred was £55,000 and it went without a hitch, as have all the others...

Andy
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:54 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We used Ozforex to move our money from Canada to Oz. Very safe, easy and fast. Way better than the banks.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
We used Ozforex to move our money from Canada to Oz. Very safe, easy and fast. Way better than the banks.
Ozforex has closed to new clients until next week
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the tips! Very helpful! This Ozforex (or xe) is just something new to me and I am very wary. I have signed up for an account but still waiting for them to call me. Hopefully they will call me soon! The AUD rates are great!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

bhysfan is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys
my wife and i are going to visit my daughter in geelong in january,would it make sense for me to paypal my daughter my spending money .as the rate is really good just now.and it would save me running around trying to get the best rate .
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bhysfan
hi guys
my wife and i are going to visit my daughter in geelong in january,would it make sense for me to paypal my daughter my spending money .as the rate is really good just now.and it would save me running around trying to get the best rate .
I use Paypal frequently and thought that the rates that they use are not as good as what the banks offer. Plus, she would be incurring Paypal fees for incoming receipts. Paypal's fees are pretty high (a certain percentage out of the whole amount). If you are transferring a large amount, I think you should either do a telegraphic transfer or use Ozforex.

For telegraphic transfer, check out the fees that your bank would charge for sending, and the fees that your daughter would incur for receiving.

If you go Ozforex, there is no fee if you send certain amounts. Here are Ozforex's fees: http://www.ozforex.com.au/fees.asp
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

bhysfan is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks lovelyshine,great info and thanks for the links as well.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Welltravelledman is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes check out AxiaFX on line mention Tim Mount I will get you the best deal thanks.

Originally Posted by lovelyshine