Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mossies in Mandurah?

Mossies in Mandurah?

Old May 3rd 2008, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

LisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really nice
Default Mossies in Mandurah?

We live in Halls Head and like the area. But I have to say the problem with mossies is making me think of moving out of Mandurah at the moment. I love Mandurah but the mossies are driving me insane. Cant even get onto the beach some days. Which is why I'm here.
Can anyone advise if it is better in any other area of Mandurah ie silversands, San Remo etc? I know I cant get away from them altogether but there must be better and worse areas of Mandurah?
Any help would be great.

Last edited by LisaT; May 3rd 2008 at 1:01 am.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:20 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mossies in Mandurah?

Originally Posted by LisaT
We live in Halls Head and like the area. But I have to say the problem with mossies is making me think of moving out of Mandurah at the moment. I love Mandurah but the mossies are driving me insane. Cant even get onto the beach some days. Which is why I'm here.
Can anyone advise if it is better in any other area of Mandurah ie silversands, San Remo etc? I know I cant get away from them altogether but there must be better and worse areas of Mandurah?
Any help would be great.
Mandurah is renown as a mozzie hot spot because of the canals. This wet April has made them particularly bad apparently. It was on the news the other day that we are all advised to cover up, wear Aeroguard or Bushman and even stay in doors at night. I used to work with a guy who caught a virus from a mozzie while on a boat in Mandurah (Ross River Virus I think it was) and he had joint pain for 6 months, somedays so bad he couldn't stand up, so it is worth taking seriously.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:40 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think OH must have got that virus last night - he can't get up off the sofa this morning
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

They are not normally this bad, this year the spraying hasn't been effective. You can cover up all you like they'll still bite through the clothes. The ones around at the moment are quite big and very black too - yuck !! I can be bitten just walking to the bin or car.

No areas in Mandurah are good at the moment although the areas around the estuary are even worse. In an ideal world I'd move south - we visited Pemberton for a weekend and it was bliss - no flies and no mossies !!
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:10 am
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

They're bad in Secret Harbour too this year....
an aussie chap i know said "they must be bad this year then, it's normally too windy for them in Secret Harbour!"
Old May 6th 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

LisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by ohippy
They are not normally this bad, this year the spraying hasn't been effective. You can cover up all you like they'll still bite through the clothes. The ones around at the moment are quite big and very black too - yuck !! I can be bitten just walking to the bin or car.

No areas in Mandurah are good at the moment although the areas around the estuary are even worse. In an ideal world I'd move south - we visited Pemberton for a weekend and it was bliss - no flies and no mossies !!
Hey there ohippy.
How are you?
Glad to hear it's not just us here in Mandurah.
Old May 6th 2008, 2:32 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Mandurah is renown as a mozzie hot spot because of the canals. This wet April has made them particularly bad apparently. It was on the news the other day that we are all advised to cover up, wear Aeroguard or Bushman and even stay in doors at night. I used to work with a guy who caught a virus from a mozzie while on a boat in Mandurah (Ross River Virus I think it was) and he had joint pain for 6 months, somedays so bad he couldn't stand up, so it is worth taking seriously.
Thats funny you should say that about the bites can make you ill.

Mr PP was really ill when he got back from Algeria, he was covered in mozzie bites and felt really ill and achey.

I wonder what the mozzie situation is like in Freo

Oh yes, was hoping to see you guys at the meet on Sunday
Old May 6th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Freo isn't bad for mossies, Mandurah is worse because of the salt marshes where they breed. The council used to go around fogging which, apparently, worked but they don't do it anymore.
Old May 6th 2008, 2:39 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
Freo isn't bad for mossies, Mandurah is worse because of the salt marshes where they breed. The council used to go around fogging which, apparently, worked but they don't do it anymore.
I think we are the cockroach city instead of the mozzies

Im getting the house sprayed next week, hopefully should stop the little buggers.

Bushman was an excellent mozzie spray when I used it years ago, I might get a can in just in case.
Old May 6th 2008, 11:19 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Oh yes, was hoping to see you guys at the meet on Sunday
Sorry about that. What with my scuba diving for the previous 4 weekends and frequent trips to the Pilbara recently we decided we needed a bit of quality time together.....but ended up shopping and painting. Who said romance is dead?!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Am looking into Meadow Springs by the golf course. Anyone from that area? If so, what are the mozzies like? Was wondering if they'd be worse by the golf course due to the ponds etc. Where are the salt marshes?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Yes come to sunny oz, the only place you have to cover up wear long shirt's and pants and stay indoors ? no need to slip slop and slap with the sun cream
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:53 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by billymacker
Yes come to sunny oz, the only place you have to cover up wear long shirt's and pants and stay indoors ? no need to slip slop and slap with the sun cream
I got bitten camping in Mandurah THROUGH my jeans!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:24 am
rjs
Forum Regular

rjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
Am looking into Meadow Springs by the golf course. Anyone from that area? If so, what are the mozzies like? Was wondering if they'd be worse by the golf course due to the ponds etc. Where are the salt marshes?
We live in MS next to one of the golf course lakes ,the mossies have been fine this year ,they were bad last year everywhere in Mandurah.
If you move by one of the golf course lakes be prepared for how loud the frogs are
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Spondylus is an unknown quantity at this point

No mozzies this year. They have evolved and are now cunningly disguised as HR people. Blood sucking monsters who bring you out in a rash!!!

(Apologies to any HR'ers out there - I'm sure YOU are the exception that proves the rule!!!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.