Wikiposts

mossies

Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

owleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud of
Default Re: mossies

I'm another who gets eaten alive (while my partner never gets touched) so I'm a bit worried about moving to Tropical North Queensland. I swear by Boots after sun lotion with insect repellant, but I'm worried about using the chemicals long term. I was told that Avon Skin So Soft body oil is good, so I'm getting some in before we go! Has anyone tried it? And can you get it in Australia?

However, I lived in Greece for a year and didn't get bitten after the first few months - maybe it was all the garlic builiding up? Or my glow in the dark white skin turning brown?

Thanks,
Cat
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

tommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: mossies

Ahhhh their cute with their little buzzin noises, try samui then.....lol.....try garlic, apparently dont aint to partial to that on their dinner (you).
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:37 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by owleywoodcat
I was told that Avon Skin So Soft body oil is good, so I'm getting some in before we go! Has anyone tried it? And can you get it in Australia?
yeah, tried it when we were in Thailand last year and it doesnt work, got eaten alive. Its an urban myth I think. You'll just end up smelling orrible!
You cant beat DEET but I wouldnt like to wear it every day of my life I imagine its not good for you in those kind of doses.
In answer to the original question, I find a large smokey bonfire keeps all Midges/Mossies at bay and apart from chemicals, a good mossie net or sensible clothing coupled whith a high degree of vigilance I think thats your only hope Im afraid
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

tommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura about

Maybe a pet geko on one shoulder & a neon sign on the other will help?....hehehe
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I have tried everything except Vitamin b I am allercic to B6 tho so will avoid the pills, so will try that and hope. Sorry but I;'l try the Marmite before you get me eating that Vegemite cack.

BridieJ I smoke and have drunk vast quantities of Jack Daniels to try and scare them off (in the name of science of course), neither of these work so it isn;t the cigarettes that stop the hubby getting bitten.

Thanks for all the top tips guys, I thing I am running out of options and may just have to live with them.

Kala
Try planting Neep trees.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:16 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by yamahaha
yeah, tried it when we were in Thailand last year and it doesnt work, got eaten alive. Its an urban myth I think. You'll just end up smelling orrible!
You cant beat DEET but I wouldnt like to wear it every day of my life I imagine its not good for you in those kind of doses.
In answer to the original question, I find a large smokey bonfire keeps all Midges/Mossies at bay and apart from chemicals, a good mossie net or sensible clothing coupled whith a high degree of vigilance I think thats your only hope Im afraid
Fires would be great if they weren't illegal ( and very dangerous) only a few weeks to go until the end of fire ban season tho. ahh propper barbeques

Sue from Manchester, I have never heard of Neep trees but will look them up and see if I can get my hands on a forrest worth

I have killed 8 of the little buggers tonight so feel a little happier.

Dont know how Aids is not spread apparently they dont inject enough blood to pass on the Aids virus which seems odd as they can spread so many other deseases but I am not sure if they are deseases carried in the blood or not. Not sure I'd be up for putting a scientist in a room with mossies and a vile of Aids infected blood, a little bit sick if you ask me, a bit like asking someone to play a game of russian roulette with themselves.

Kala
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

a bit like asking someone to play a game of russian roulette with themselves.

Kala

Better than playing russian roulette with you though.

Have just seen an advert for a Australian hat which has a cool band of something in the rim to keep you cool whist being impregnated with anti mossie stuff that is guaranteed to last for up to 20 washes. Looks very sexy
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:26 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

If anything flies and bites, it bites me!
Have been told that if you have any form of rheumatism or arthritis, mozzies are attracted to you because there's more uric acid in your perspiration. I've found that David Grey's "Scram" is a good commercial preparation, but pure Oil of Citronella, mixed with Johnson's Baby Oil is also good. Yes, they both are a bit on the nose, but you don't notice it after a while........like perfume!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owleywoodcat
I was told that Avon Skin So Soft body oil is good, so I'm getting some in before we go! Has anyone tried it?
That's the stuff. You want the 'Original woodland fragrance'.

Even fishermen use it in Alaska to keep away the 'noseeums'.

Apparently attracts Lumberjacks as well

G
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chaval
You could consider changing your diet...eats lots of garlic and reduce the sugars you in take.

Chaval
I agree when my mate and me were on the gold coast he kept on getting bitten where i was ok, put this down to the fact that i eat a lot of spicy food where he does not. I think my smell might scare them off :scared:
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:28 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

eating pills and food to scare them off is bollocks... they still have to taste your blood to see if they don`t like it. May as well dance a jig to scare them off... that would work better.

fly-spray and clothes and vigilance like yamahaha said.

btw vegemite is MUCH better than Marmite (which has a horrible after-taste). Keep a jar of that cack open to scare the mozzies off.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:08 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

In the last 6 months of living here i have been munched on by Mosquitos and sand flies at least 500 times, I dont react too good to them have scars all up my legs and arms, I can currently not bend any of the fingers on my rights hand due to the swelling from 3 bites last night. I have tried them buzzing machines, coils and candles and every spray on the Market. Off seems to be the best but I do worry about the ammount of Deet I am wearing on a daily basis (I use 2-3 cans a week) I have citronells plants in the garden, I put tracky pants and long sleeve tops on before dusk.

Can anyone recommend anything that I have not already mentioned, preferably something that wont kill me

Thanks
Kala
SNAP....I am covered in bloody scars................hubby said to me....uve got a gorgeous tan...pity about ur scabby legs.....but its true....I just get one load healed up and I get bitten again.....I need to take very strong antihistamines which make me very tired so I feel like shit most days
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
SNAP....I am covered in bloody scars................hubby said to me....uve got a gorgeous tan...pity about ur scabby legs.....but its true....I just get one load healed up and I get bitten again.....I need to take very strong antihistamines which make me very tired so I feel like shit most days
But you're loving the life anyway
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

This mixture has been recommended by a few Australian friends:

Equals measures of Detol, Baby Oil and Meths. Out in a spray bottle and shake well before use.

Other have sugested a slightly different variation: Equal measures of Tea Tree Oil, Baby Oil and meths.

Does seem to help, especially if you remember to put it on.

I find sand flies a problem at any time of day, not just the evening
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

They sell something called a Mosquito Trap which uses a few things such as UV and CO2 to trap mossies, but at over $500 it isn't cheap. Although I'm contemplating buying one when I get my own house.

http://www.mosquito.com.au/

Also make sure that there is no standing water in your garden such as in the saucers under you pot plants. You can fill the saucers with sand to stop mossies laying their eggs and buy some native fish for your pond.

Other than that take a bath in "Rid" before you go out, but I don't think that this will help your social life.

I tried eating Vegemite for ages but never had any success, probably need to eat my own body weight to have any success.

In Japan they say that the Autumn mosquito is the worst, as it lands and bites you so quick that you don't stand a chance. I'm inclined to agree.

Happy Slapping!!

Papa Z

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.