Mossies

Old Jan 10th 2003, 11:29 am
GABBY

Unhappy Mossies

We are so pleased we found this website! We are thinking of moving to either Perth or Adelaide but are concerned over insects (particularly mosquito's) and wondered if these are more prevalent in one state than the other. The thought of having to stay indoors sort of defeats the point of going out there in the first place!!

Old Jan 10th 2003, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mossies

Hi Gabby,
Welcome to expats, we were in Coff's Harbour (between Brisbane & Sydney) in Oct 2002 and did not see 1 mossie,
Adelaide Dec 1999 for 1 month never bitten.
Oct 1991 for 3 months.Travelled from Adelaide to Brisbane, up to Cookstown across country (broken hill) and then back to Adelaide visiting all the cities we never had a problem with the mossies my husband had a few bite's but he say's it's because of his 'sweet blood' (I say the booze).

Sue
Old Jan 10th 2003, 12:03 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

We too did not have much of a problem, my husband got bitten a few time sat on a riverbank at dusk fishing!! Stupid idea!

Take vitamin B if you are worried, we spent 3 weeks in Kenya this year, 1 week of it on safari, and we were the only ones not bitten! Took vitamin B for 2 weeks before and all the time there, apparently they don't like the taste of it in your blood!

Sarah
Old Jan 10th 2003, 3:29 pm
GABBY

Thanks for this - it seems we may have been over anxious about this, but we have had bad experiences abroad before....

Old Jan 10th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GABBY
Thanks for this - it seems we may have been over anxious about this, but we have had bad experiences abroad before....
Hi,Only experiences in adelaide were with flies and not mossies.Ifind mossies a lot worse in southern europe than adelaide.The flies in summer are a pain when your not used to them but the nearer you are to the coast the better. jockney