Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mossie bites-Aaargghhh!!

Wikiposts

Mossie bites-Aaargghhh!!

Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mossie bites-Aaargghhh!!

My mum has planted a number of neem trees in her garden. Apparently they have to be within sight of each other. They are meant to be a natural repellant. You can also pick the leaves and take them inside. She says it seems to work (Surfers Paradise). I believe you can get neem oil as well?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:38 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
consuming large amounts of garlic is also reputed to keep the little b*ggers at bay...
...and people
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:59 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone whos interested

As i said earlier i had to take Andrew to the doctors earlier for a repeat prescription of his medication,this was his first visit to the doctors over here.
Andrew has ADHD & is on Methylphenidate Hydrochloride Tablets (Ritalin) 30mg Daily.

Our doctors fee was $47 (we will get some of this cost back)
Prescription fee (100 tablets) was $40.

I was pleasantly surprised as i was dreading the cost! but at least this is managable every month.

Also the pharmacist had two brands of Ritalin to choose from $10 of a difference between the brands,we chose the cheaper brand called Attenta.(no difference with the ingredients)

Hope this info helps someone.

Donna.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:09 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

I am sitting at the moment covered in tiger balm! love the smell of the stuff!
bought it in Singapore on the way over here as i had a sore neck,wouldnt of thought of using it for bites but it says so on the label! it feels lovely when you put it on,my sore bits are all tingly & has calmed the itch down for now.

A big thankyou to everyone & your helpful advice x

An overdosed vit B member !!

Donna.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
I am sitting at the moment covered in tiger balm! love the smell of the stuff!
So what does it smell like? Rudolph says earlier it stinks, you love it - just interested
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
So what does it smell like? Rudolph says earlier it stinks, you love it - just interested

Have you ever used Vicks menthol rub? its kinda like that A menthol smell! ingredients are:Menthol,Camphor,Clove oil,Cajuput oil & mint oil! if that helps any?!

Donna.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Don't overdose people.......

Apr 21st 2004, 6:48 pm #19
Jacqui

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Just read on organicfoods website that it is Vit B1 (Thiamin) that stops the mozzy bites, taken in doses of 150mg or above.

Just re-read the original post. 150mg seems dangerously high!
According to this very useful freebie book of mine:

"The total amount (of thiamin) in the human body is only about 30mg and an intake of around one milligram per day is enough to keep the body saturated. If more thiamin is taken than is needed, it is quickly excreted in urine. Thus, for most people, there is no point taking a daily supplement that contains more than a milligram....................Thiamin is relatively non-toxic when taken by mouth, possibly because only about 5mg can be absorbed from any single dose. If people take more than 3g per day regularly they may suffer headache, irritability, rapid pulse, weakness, contact dermatitis and one death has been reported."
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:01 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by worzel
...and people
I think it is also possible to get the same effect of discouraging mossie bites by taking garlic pills... can't imagine that people would be repelled by those!! )

My uncle once lived on a yacht on the Brisbane River.. mozzie paradise!! but to stop being eaten alive each evening, he took the garlic supplement, and also gave it to the dog and cat that lived on the yacht.. mozzies left them alone!!!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:24 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
I think it is also possible to get the same effect of discouraging mossie bites by taking garlic pills... can't imagine that people would be repelled by those!! )

My uncle once lived on a yacht on the Brisbane River.. mozzie paradise!! but to stop being eaten alive each evening, he took the garlic supplement, and also gave it to the dog and cat that lived on the yacht.. mozzies left them alone!!!
Briziegirl,
If they are like me then garlic just seams to Oooooze out of my pores after taking it. I presume that this is how it works

I don't notice the smell of garlic after taking oral caposuls though
(Or masybe I just stink of garlic & no one has told me )

It's anatural antibiotic as well!

Bye
Mark
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:20 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

you all need some soapy blood. i dont get bitten
the whole family are getting eaten alive and i ust sit and smile
oh it could be that im just a smelly B*******
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

There was something about mossie bites on TV the other day but I can't remember what programe. They did a test to see what attracted mossies, the presenter went to bed with one recently washed foot & one unwashed foot, in the morning the unwashed foot was covered with bites & the recently washed foot had none on at all, the scent of sweat was what attracted the mossies, so maybe if you sprayed deodorant over your entire body including legs & arms after each shower it may help??? Also I heard you are much more likely to be bitten if you have eaten a banana that day & it's very unlikely if you have eaten marmite.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:00 am
ABCDiamond

Our doctors fee was $47 (we will get some of this cost back)
Can you let us know how much of that $47 you get back from Medicare. We use bulk billing doctors, so don't get charged, and so i'm getting out of touch with what some people end up paying these days.

Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Can you let us know how much of that $47 you get back from Medicare. We use bulk billing doctors, so don't get charged, and so i'm getting out of touch with what some people end up paying these days.
Yes,no problem Eric.
Probably pop into medicare tomorrow & i,ll let you know.

Donna.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:32 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys,
Does anyone have an effective treatment for mossie bites? (prevention & cure) they are driving me nuts!!! so itchy!!
Our first two weeks here & i didnt have one mossie bite,now the little buggers are making up for lost time!!
The other night we all went out biking,i stupidly had a strappy vest top on & the mossies had a party on my skin !!
Last count hubby said i had 19 bites on my back, my butt has more lumps than is usually there :scared: (honestly!!)

I brought antihistamine tablets with me & have been taking them the last few days hopefully to control the itch & i am constantly covering myself with repellent but the buggers are still biting-help!!

Some people have told me that eventually you build up an immunity to them after a while-is this true? i hope so! i can cope with a few every so often.
I will also make sure i am covered from head to toe the next time we go biking-probably with cling film!!!!!

Donna.
Hiya Donna,
Take a garlic supplement and cut down on sugary foods. To relieve the itch, lie in the bath and get Malc to pee over bites. Never tried it, but have been told that it works. Other than that a lotion or cream with witch hazel does the trick. Hope that helps, if not I'm sure it made you laugh and you forgot about mossie bites anyway.
Love and hugs
Sarah
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by teach
Hiya Donna,
Take a garlic supplement and cut down on sugary foods. To relieve the itch, lie in the bath and get Malc to pee over bites. Never tried it, but have been told that it works. Other than that a lotion or cream with witch hazel does the trick. Hope that helps, if not I'm sure it made you laugh and you forgot about mossie bites anyway.
Love and hugs
Sarah

errmmm....I think i will stick to the witch hazel idea!! hubby has enough probs trying to pee in a toilet bowl never mind aiming at bites on my body !!!

Lol!!!!

Donna.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.