Mosquitos

Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:21 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquitos

Originally Posted by chels
Yes, that's the plan when we get our own place. I saw a recommendation by Arkon for something (not sure if it was a yard guard) that hopefully will mean I can sit out in the garden and not get bitten (and constantly worry that the mozzie protection cream is wearing off / not properly applied etc). I don't mind if it's a bit of an expensive solution, as the current situation is pants.
80 bucks, they're not fool proof mind you but they keep the majority of mozzies away depending where it's situated...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:01 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
80 bucks, they're not fool proof mind you but they keep the majority of mozzies away depending where it's situated...
I had a special mozzie killer that ran on 10 lures. One being a 35kg bottle of CO2 which was quite expensive to run. I use the past tense because although it seemed to work where I had it around the pool, it did nothing for the other 90% of the gardens or the house.

The only sure fire thing I've found it not to go out. Don't leave doors and windows open, and if you do go out, sit next to someone that gets bitten a lot.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:22 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
It's worth a try!

Originally Posted by arkon
I had a special mozzie killer that ran on 10 lures. One being a 35kg bottle of CO2 which was quite expensive to run. I use the past tense because although it seemed to work where I had it around the pool, it did nothing for the other 90% of the gardens or the house.

The only sure fire thing I've found it not to go out. Don't leave doors and windows open, and if you do go out, sit next to someone that gets bitten a lot.
But it's miserable not being able to go out - everyone else who migrates to Australia seems to rave about their great outdoor life, sitting outside in the evening and enjoying a bbq etc. And I've yet to meet someone who gets bitten more than me.

If I got a dog, would the mozzies attack her instead of me?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:47 pm
A happy pom in Oz!

johnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura about

Use the spray and cover up.

Ross river is a notifiable arbour virus where Kangaroos are also a host.

The virus produces arthritic symptoms that affect people to various degrees. It is difficult to diagnose and involves blood samples and a GP who knows what is happening in the locality!

My daughter was 5 when she was bitten and had to be carried to the loo for 3 or 4 months..

Now she is immune to a related viral disease... Barmah Forest Virus. (Sypmptoms just like ross river and mode of transmission ... mozzies!)

Chances of getting it in Perth are fairly low ... but , nonetheless, I cover up at night and spray ...

also wash your feet ... mossies love smelly feet and ankles!

Dogs get other mossie bourne diseases ( carried by roos as an intermediate host) ... heartworm ... which is really nasty ... so you have to put them on tablets or an injection ....

Warm balmy nights in Perth ... half naked by the pool ... you bet! No prob.

Last edited by johnnie7au; Jun 1st 2007 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
It's worth a try!

But it's miserable not being able to go out - everyone else who migrates to Australia seems to rave about their great outdoor life, sitting outside in the evening and enjoying a bbq etc. And I've yet to meet someone who gets bitten more than me.

If I got a dog, would the mozzies attack her instead of me?
Could be an urban legend, but if you eat a lot of bananas you attract more mozzies.