Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mosquitoes - How to stop them biting

Wikiposts

Mosquitoes - How to stop them biting

Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
We are getting an electric 'zapper' installed this year for the first time. Same as you get in restaurant kitchens etc.

Anyone care to say how well they work?
Don
They do work by attracting and killing the buggers. We have a small one inside the house, and a large one outside that attracts and kill them. It is left on 24 hours a day and aids in keeping the population of them down.

Originally posted by Tina Baker
My Mum, who has been out there for 11 years, said that you just get used to it after a while! yeah - right! Thanks for that mum!!
Trust your mum, she's right. I've been here for just over a year now, and haven't been bitten in ages. I did get bitten at first, and got the big bites marks. I do also take vitamin B tablets, so maybe the atraction to my blood has diminshed.

When we have new people around for BBQ etc, we normally have citronella candles burning to help keep the area clear for them.

If your garden is like a rain forest, lot of plants etc, you will get more mozzies. They breed in still water, so keep the area as mozzie unfriendly as you can

Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

It's not so much the odd bite that bothers me but I go mad when one or two are flying around the house when you're trying to get to sleep and every now and then that high-pitched whine comes near...drives me crazy as a coot.:scared:
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:02 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

What about when they go quiet and you feel that itch?
Old Apr 15th 2004, 5:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Thanks.

It's not so much the odd bite that bothers me but I go mad when one or two are flying around the house when you're trying to get to sleep and every now and then that high-pitched whine comes near...drives me crazy as a coot.:scared:
There is also a little "Micro Zapper" from Baygon, it fits in a plug socket, and keeps the bedroom free from them for about 8 hours.

Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:13 pm
Don
Banned

Yeah, I've tried most of those gadgets in the past and they do work. Still, I can't be bothered with putting in a fresh pad every night etc.

I fancied a serious bit of hardware stuck on the wall (would make me look very efficient with the wife): I was planning ahead and thinking of the fun whenever I heard a sizzle & crack - die, you little bastards!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:16 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I've tried most of those gadgets in the past and they do work. Still, I can't be bothered with putting in a fresh pad every night etc.

I fancied a serious bit of hardware stuck on the wall (would make me look very efficient with the wife): I was planning ahead and thinking of the fun whenever I heard a sizzle & crack - die, you little bastards!
Ahh, we had one of these on the sheep station...the lively sizzle and pop, the smell of charring fly. One took 23 seconds to fizzle and die. It was fascinating
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much for your advice on the mozzie bite thing. I shall purchase some vitamin B stuff and see how I go with that. I do also recal my boyfriends auntie telling me about the detol and baby oil thing so may try that also.

Hopefully I will get used to them in the end and find a way to ease the torture!!!

Thanks again

Have a nice weekend

Nat

Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by spottydog
Johnson make a spray called "Off!" which is sold in cans in Egypt that really works. Using it when I'm there means I don't get bitten at all (Compared to being covered with bites if I try anything else).

Not sure if it's sold anywhere else in the world (a dive guide in Egypt recommended it to me)

Anne

You can buy this in Australia as well. I find it works better than other repellants and also smells (moderately) better!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

My wife is under the impression that Marmite eaters never get bitten.

As I can not stand Marmite, this is not of much comfort.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:40 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wongstonn

Yes, the 'Love it or Hate it' ad campaign is so true. I love it, Mrs M hates it!
Old Apr 16th 2004, 2:24 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by wmoore
Yes, the 'Love it or Hate it' ad campaign is so true. I love it, Mrs M hates it!
Marmite stole the 'love it or hate it' idea from Laphroaig Single Islay Malt Whisky.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 2:32 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by wongstonn

Does Marmite have vit B in it?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 16th 2004, 3:10 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Does Marmite have vit B in it?

Phoenixuk2oz
I have a feeling it does. I'll check a jar when I get home.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:19 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally posted by wmoore
I have a feeling it does. I'll check a jar when I get home.
Marmite does have vitamin B. Just remembered to check.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 4:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mossies & Marmite

Yup, apparently marmite is good - so long as you eat it, not wear it. But surely vegemite would be better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.