Reload this Page >

Mosquitoes - How to stop them biting

Mosquitoes - How to stop them biting

Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Mosquitoes - How to stop them biting

Hi All,

Does anyone else get bitten to shreads in Oz?

Can anyone help with a defence against the blighters!!!

I always get bitten and do not scratch the bite but it always comes up into a bit red sore - am I alergic to them?

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Nat
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:54 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquitoes - How to stop them biting

Originally posted by Natbat
Hi All,

I always get bitten and do not scratch the bite but it always comes up into a bit red sore - am I alergic to them?

Nat
The little critters don't like me - apparently it's because I have cold skin or something.

But citronella is supposed to keep them away - burn it as an oil or candle, or mix it with a little sweet almond oil and rub it all over yourself!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant future

Yeah..........they just LOVE my skin! And i must say it really worries me as I get very adverse reactions to them! When I was over at Christmas my friends told me to dig your nail into each side of the bite, as soon as you discover you have one, forming a box around it............it might be an old Ozzy wifes-tail but they seemed to genuinely think it worked!
Me...........I pefer to smoother myself in as many repelents as posiable and cover up arms and legs after 6.........
My Mum, who has been out there for 11 years, said that you just get used to it after a while! yeah - right! Thanks for that mum!!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:06 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Ive tried the Citronella candles & sprayed myself with Aeroguard & still get bitten. I got one on the wrist last weekend that has been itching for a week. Maybe Bundys right, Citronella aftershave might help.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Originally posted by Tina Baker
Yeah..........they just LOVE my skin! And i must say it really worries me as I get very adverse reactions to them! When I was over at Christmas my friends told me to dig your nail into each side of the bite, as soon as you discover you have one, forming a box around it............it might be an old Ozzy wifes-tail but they seemed to genuinely think it worked!
Me...........I pefer to smoother myself in as many repelents as posiable and cover up arms and legs after 6.........
My Mum, who has been out there for 11 years, said that you just get used to it after a while! yeah - right! Thanks for that mum!!

I didn't get bitten in Brissie once, but as soon as I went down to Grafton NSW it was feasts are me, but I did notice that as the days went on the new bites got smaller so maybe your moms right and you become amune to them.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Whingin Pom
I didn't get bitten in Brissie once, but as soon as I went down to Grafton NSW it was feasts are me, but I did notice that as the days went on the new bites got smaller so maybe your moms right and you become amune to them.
Thank you muchly, I will try the Citronella thing

Bye for now

Nat Bite!!!!!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Johnson make a spray called "Off!" which is sold in cans in Egypt that really works. Using it when I'm there means I don't get bitten at all (Compared to being covered with bites if I try anything else).

Not sure if it's sold anywhere else in the world (a dive guide in Egypt recommended it to me)

Anne
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

FOREST FANS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mosquitoes - How to stop them biting

Originally posted by Natbat
Hi All,

Nat
After getting bitten to high hell in January, a lady at the chemist over there told me to mix one part detol with one part baby oil to two parts water (think they were the quantites) and that apparently works better than most things you can buy.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Best thing to stop them biting you is large doses of vitamin B12.I took it when i worked in the countryside in the states and in that whole time i didin't get a single bite.While everyone else around me was being eaten alive.Can't remember the exact dose but it is a lot over the rda and you have to keep taking it.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 6:38 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debio
Best thing to stop them biting you is large doses of vitamin B12.I took it when i worked in the countryside in the states and in that whole time i didin't get a single bite.While everyone else around me was being eaten alive.Can't remember the exact dose but it is a lot over the rda and you have to keep taking it.
Apparently they don't like Marmite. Unlike me.... I think it's the yeast in it.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 6:57 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

living in florida, we get tons of mozzies here. Any thing containing the chemical 'deet' keeps them away. Dont know if you can get it in Oz though.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

mozzie will become famous soon enough

If you put your fingers in my mouth I'll bite. Otherwise, you're pretty safe.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 7:06 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

We are getting an electric 'zapper' installed this year for the first time. Same as you get in restaurant kitchens etc.

Anyone care to say how well they work?
Old Apr 15th 2004, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wmoore
Apparently they don't like Marmite. Unlike me.... I think it's the yeast in it.

Gotta say i love it too.But hey you either hate it or you love it

Mind you if i'd walked around the countryside of new jersey covered in marmite i would have looked a right tit
Old Apr 15th 2004, 7:26 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debio
Gotta say i love it too.But hey you either hate it or you love it

Mind you if i'd walked around the countryside of new jersey covered in marmite i would have looked a right tit
Erm .... ?? .. ?? I prefer to eat it. Which is enough to get whatever it is the winged things don't like into the bloodstream. Have to say I've never tried your way but let me know how it works out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.