Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mosquitoes in Brisbane

Mosquitoes in Brisbane

Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:25 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about
Default Mosquitoes in Brisbane

How big a problem are mossies in Brisbane? I've heard that they can be a problem in and around wetland areas such as Redcliffe. What about other areas? Are they a problem all year round or mainly in the summer? Is the Ross River virus common?
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquitoes in Brisbane

So they can get in and I can't Hmmm...
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Sister lives in Redcliffe and hasn't had a problem but then again......

depends on how you blood tastes I suppose

lace x
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:47 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mozzies are a problem everywhere in Brisbane, but worst in summer, there are very few in winter. They breed in any pools of freshwater like puddles, the water that collects in potplant saucers etc. Anywhere at all that will hold more than a teaspoon or 2 of water. The thing that so called "wetland" areas & bayside have is with sandflies (midges) as sandflies breed in saltwater in the mangroves & marshy areas.

It is just something you learn to live with (or possbly not!), luckily its not all year round as we have quite dry (& cool in eveings) winter.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 9:08 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Mozzies are a problem everywhere in Brisbane, but worst in summer, there are very few in winter. They breed in any pools of freshwater like puddles, the water that collects in potplant saucers etc. Anywhere at all that will hold more than a teaspoon or 2 of water. The thing that so called "wetland" areas & bayside have is with sandflies (midges) as sandflies breed in saltwater in the mangroves & marshy areas.

It is just something you learn to live with (or possbly not!), luckily its not all year round as we have quite dry (& cool in eveings) winter.
We were there last summer and for about 6 weeks and got about 3 bites. I have had loads more than that on a 2 week holiday in spain!
Old Feb 26th 2006, 10:25 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Like was Mrs Dagboy says. After a while you begin to like the smell of Aeroguard (mossie repellent) and you spray yourself before going out a night without thinking after a while

Really only an issue in the mornings and evenings and in the warmer months.

Personally I wouldnt want to live next to large bodies of stagnant water like lakes etc. A friend of ours lives overlooking a park with a nice lake. Come the evening its baton down the hatches!

Generally not an issue and after a while they seem to leave you alone!
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

I have been here 5 months, The first 4 month they totally mutilated me, But now they seem to have gone off me the cheeky buggers, Im obviously not good enough for them now, (rejected), I have never been bit before i came here, As centurion said you have to spray yourself and it just becomes a part of living here.

Suzanne
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

Really only an issue in the mornings and evenings and in the warmer months.
Yep, good point, I should have mentioned that they really only come out in the evenings around dusk & are most active when it's dark, very few around during the day (unless you go somewhere that they disappear to during the daytime like bushy undergrowth etc).

Fiona - you were lucky, although last summer was quite dry so there werent as many mozzies around.

Suzanne - the reason I think is that the mozzie population in the last few weeks has been quite low because of the lack of rain since xmas. After that bit of rain we had last week I have noticed a huge increase in numbers again in the last day or 2, so you might be lucky & not get rejected so much soon .

You do seem to gain some immunity to them the longer you have been here, particularly if the bites swell etc. Your body's immune system learns to cope with them better the more you have been bitten :scared: .

To the OP, Ross River Fever isnt a huge problem here (although that's not to say that there's no risk, it's just less than further north), there are some cases, but luckily its not epidemic. One of the biggest problems with mosquitos is that they spread heartworm in dogs which can be fatal if left untreated, so you need to take adequate precautions if you are bringing a dog or intend to get one when you get here.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:52 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mjj
How big a problem are mossies in Brisbane? I've heard that they can be a problem in and around wetland areas such as Redcliffe. What about other areas? Are they a problem all year round or mainly in the summer? Is the Ross River virus common?
I use to live in Redcliffe, and yes they were problem in the evenings where I was living.

where I am now in the pine, we don't seem to get as many, which is funny as our home backing right onto a stream in the bush.

As said it's just in the summer they are prob, dusk mostly.

Been here in aus for 9 years and I have not built an immunity to them, and doubt that I ever will.

A bite will be itchy for a week on me, yet my hubby his goes down well within the hour ( different people have different reactions to them). My immune system fights the B*ggers. It does not recognise the invader, so it fights - hence the allergic reaction .Same principle as most allergies) .

I've always suffered with reactons to mozzie bites ( 14 years in total living with mozzies and being bitten- here and in Asia) and I suffered with a bad reaction to midges too in the UK. I disagree everyone builds up an immunity to them - I haven't. My system fights the foreign invaders .

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 27th 2006 at 12:01 am.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 2:11 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Ceri
My system fights the foreign invaders.
That's cos you are welsh - wonder if the scots find the same thing?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 2:47 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Been here over a year now & the little buggars bite the hell out of me still Got into the routine now of putting repellent on before i go out of the house,even just hanging the washing out!! if i forget its not long before i have a nasty lump reminding me i haven't put any on!

Started using the aeroguard lotion as the sprays really catch at the back of your throat or you have a sneezing fit!!

Donna.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 3:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjj
Get yourself one of these, http://www.nobugs.com.au/ . It really works. It is effective over an area the size of an acre. The female mozzie is the one that bites. This kills the male mozzie thereby breaking the breeding cycle. It gets midges & moths too. It's directional in operation, so you might need to get several to get full coverage. I'm going to get another 2 to give complete coverage at my place. Should be able to get it for under $200 (I got mine for $130 at the Good Guys).
Old Feb 27th 2006, 6:17 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Get yourself one of these, http://www.nobugs.com.au/ . It really works. It is effective over an area the size of an acre. The female mozzie is the one that bites. This kills the male mozzie thereby breaking the breeding cycle. It gets midges & moths too. It's directional in operation, so you might need to get several to get full coverage. I'm going to get another 2 to give complete coverage at my place. Should be able to get it for under $200 (I got mine for $130 at the Good Guys).
I liked the 'no zapping noise' comment on their advert. Here in Amsterdam we are plagues by mozzies in the summer and they really like me. So I got one of the electric ones, and I find that 'zap' really reassuring! But I'm going to be buying some of these no bugs things when I arrive next month.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Must admit I've been here 6 years now and I don't find mozzies a problem in Brissy. I occasionally get bit about once every couple of weeks, but I don't stay outside in the evening for hours on end. I bought one of those mozzie zappers and left it on for a couple of night and all it zapped was about 2 boddies and only one was a mozzie.

Worst place I've been for mozzies is west coast of NZ South Island and Florida Everglades but Brissy is just not in the same league.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

That's cos you are welsh - wonder if the scots find the same thing?

not this scot!!!! have only ever been biteen once in my 4 trips to australia... that was in sydney and was my own fault for dancing drunk on bondi early in the morning (well it was morning when i noticed it!)

i have to say find it particularly amusing at morning in our house..... i wake up with not a mark on me.... t'other 1/2 wakes up with HUGE lumps. also has some kind of allergic reaction to the bites.

just realised i've now fated myself and will probably wake up covered tomorrow morning!!!!