Mosquito nets

Old Feb 7th 2004, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mosquito nets

HELP!

Hubby is having a panic attack at the thought of being bitten to death overnight (by the mossies, not me)
:scared:

Do any of you use Mosquito nets over the bed??

Would you recommend using one or is it not really that bad?

Thank you in anticipation of your replies.

Regards
shedu
Old Feb 7th 2004, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hi Shedu
I am covered in scars from mozzie bites in NZ. I have found that having an electric fan on in the bedroom is the best deterrant as they cant fly in a breeze!! I never get bitten at night now.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 2:08 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

All houses have insect screens on windows & doors.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Mosquito nets

Originally posted by shedu
HELP!

Hubby is having a panic attack at the thought of being bitten to death overnight (by the mossies, not me)

Regards
shedu
We bought one for our daughter, but it never gets used.

It may be useful outside on the patio, for relaxing with a cool drink, enjoying the fresh air

What area are you going to be in ?

Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

HELP!

Regards
shedu
The fear of mossie attacks is GROSSLY overrated, I live in Brisbane and do't find them a problem at all. Just got back from 2 months in Darwin, NT and WA and prepared for serious mossie attacks and bought the most powerfull spray could find as I believed all the Burb about how bad it was.
After campng by Billabongs, swimming in waterholes, numerous hikes and barbacues around rivers, didn't use the spray once and didn't have a problem. Found the normal flys more of a problem then mozzies.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:28 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

our fly wires are crap and we have all been attacked, bought daughter a mozzie net from Ikea, not put up yet!

Apparently they don't bother with you after a couple of years, bad tasting blood or something!!!
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
The fear of mossie attacks is GROSSLY overrated
It's not overrated at all - it depends on your human scent. Mozzies go for a certain type. I personally don't suffer at all. I received maybe half a dozen bites in 3 months camping in the NT and tropical north Qld whilst my husband was targeted day and night and suffered immensely - one bite can cause a 6" swelling on him. They like him for whatever reason but they don't like me! The sand flies target him as well but not me. It will also depend on where you go and at what time of year.

Shedue, what part of Oz are you going to? Husband has never been bothered by mozzies in suburban Melbourne at any time of year but as soon as we go 500km north to my sisters they start on him again (she lives by the Murray so can be bad at certain times of year.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:51 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by hevs
our fly wires are crap and we have all been attacked, bought daughter a mozzie net from Ikea, not put up yet!
Don't fetch anymore tinnies until the blokes fix the screens.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 12:59 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

My hubby gets attacked by mossies from all angles but I seem to stay 'bite free' lol

We dont get them in the house though because of the fly screens. Shouldn't get through unless there are holes in the screens?
Old Feb 7th 2004, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mossie nets

Many thanks for all the replies, we are heading out to East Perth in March.

Like many of you I do not seem to be bothered much by the mossies - maybe the odd bite or two - but whenever we have been for the 2 weeks fly & flop holidays he is victimised unmercifully!!

Personally I think he is just looking for something else to worry about rather than him finding a job but I promised I would ask the forum members for their advice!!

Thanks again.
Shedu
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mossie nets

Many thanks for all the replies, we are heading out to East Perth in March.

Like many of you I do not seem to be bothered much by the mossies - maybe the odd bite or two - but whenever we have been for the 2 weeks fly & flop holidays he is victimised unmercifully!!

Personally I think he is just looking for something else to worry about rather than him finding a job but I promised I would ask the forum members for their advice!!

Thanks again.
Shedu
I think the secret is to confiscate the mozzies hand drills
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:48 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

If you make sure you take enough vitamin B in your diet or by using a multivit etc then the mozzies leave you alone. You don't taste nice apparantly! Have tried it and it does work! I would go for mozzie nets over babies cots as i have seen the little ones when they react badly and it is not nice.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:51 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

No mozzies after 6 months in Nz - that applies to all the family. Must be because of the drought/ Dunedin is windy.

In QLD, an occasional nuisance when I was there Nov-Feb but you can kill them before going to bed.

In Central Europe (back there this summer) they can be a pest in a wet year, (last year - none, it was v dry), I'm going to put in one of those electric zappers, more for the kids' sake than for me (honest!)
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a theory that they like a certain blood group

both me and des are a pos and get bitten to bits perhaps i should do a poll

arlene
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:23 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Don't fetch anymore tinnies until the blokes fix the screens.

PS. They get their own actually meg