Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mortgages & tax implications for investment properties

Mortgages & tax implications for investment properties

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mortgages & tax implications for investment properties

Hypothetical question - :

If you owned an investment property, but owed no money on it ie. owned it outright, no mortgage, but then you subsequently took out a mortgage over it, would the interest on the loan be tax deductible?
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:02 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Mortgages & tax implications for investment properties

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

If you owned an investment property, but owed no money on it ie. owned it outright, no mortgage, but then you subsequently took out a mortgage over it, would the interest on the loan be tax deductible?
Short answer is NO.

Unless of course, the named owner of the property borrowed the money from another individual, prior to needing to get an official mortage, and the mortgage was obtained purely to repay that amount, to that person, maintaining a 100% link to the investment property.

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:07 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Short answer is NO.

Unless of course, the named owner of the property borrowed the money from another individual, prior to needing to get an official mortage, and the mortgage was obtained purely to repay that amount, to that person, maintaining a 100% link to the investment property.
:scared: :scared: :scared:

OK, will definitely be rethinking our strategy then LOL .
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:11 am
ABCDiamond

:scared: :scared: :scared:

OK, will definitely be rethinking our strategy then LOL .
If anyone is planning on doing this, the best option is to utilise mortgages with the 100% offset facility, thereby creating a tax deductible vehicle, but without needing to pay interest until you need to.

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:39 am
Rocket Scientist

If anyone is planning on doing this, the best option is to utilise mortgages with the 100% offset facility, thereby creating a tax deductible vehicle, but without needing to pay interest until you need to.
Lost me there .

Will PM you.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]Short answer is NO.

QUOTE]

I don't agree with this as it depends on what you do with the money from the property. If you use it for personnel use buy a car, house to live in you are correct.

BUT if you use the money to buy investments stocks or shares or another investment property then the loan would be fully tax deductable (on the interest payments anyway).

This same rule applies to UK, NZ and Oz, to the best of my knowledge.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I don't agree with this as it depends on what you do with the money from the property. If you use it for personnel use buy a car, house to live in you are correct.

BUT if you use the money to buy investments stocks or shares or another investment property then the loan would be fully tax deductable (on the interest payments anyway).

This same rule applies to UK, NZ and Oz, to the best of my knowledge.
You are Correct to correct me on that point

My answer was overly short, based on my experiences, and therefore assumptions (which I tell others never to make! ), that it would be similar situations to the majority that have asked me before ie: for non deductible use.

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Yep KP, ABC knows me too well , for non deductable use (house renos).

Doesnt matter, we have another strategy already waiting in the wings .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jun 23rd 2005 at 8:07 am. Reason: clarification
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

You are Correct to correct me on that point

My answer was overly short, based on my experiences, and therefore assumptions (which I tell others never to make! ), that it would be similar situations to the majority that have asked me before ie: for non deductible use.
Must admit you don't make a mistake very often at all you must have been rushed today.

The only way around this problem I can see is if you've got the time is to take the loan out on the investment property and buy some stocks or shares and then you have fullfilled the requiremnet for tax deduction of the loan. After a period say 12 months sell the stock and hence you have the cash with the loan tax deductable. Not sure if this is legal or not (I suspect it is not as its to easy to get around the problem this way).
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:10 am
Rocket Scientist

The only way around this problem I can see is if you've got the time is to take the loan out on the investment property and buy some stocks or shares and then you have fullfilled the requiremnet for tax deduction of the loan. After a period say 12 months sell the stock and hence you have the cash with the loan tax deductable. Not sure if this is legal or not (I suspect it is not as its to easy to get around the problem this way).
:scared:
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:49 am
ABCDiamond

Must admit you don't make a mistake very often at all you must have been rushed today.

I am pretty sure that wouldn't work, as the loan, although secured by the property, would be linked to the shares, and, on sale of the shares, would no longer be deductible.

The ATO don't make it that easy for us

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:17 am
Rocket Scientist

So second scenario - if you mortgaged investment house1 to pay for building (or removal) of a house on to a block of land (with a mortgage) that would be deductable I presume?

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jun 23rd 2005 at 10:29 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:30 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that the PURPOSE of the loan is the key - if it is to acquire an income generating asset the interest on the loan may well be deductible.

Best regards.

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:33 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I think you'll find that the PURPOSE of the loan is the key - if it is to acquire an income generating asset the interest on the loan may well be deductible.

Best regards.
Well thats what I would have thought Alan - but its the "may" bit that worries me .
Old Jun 24th 2005, 12:31 am
ABCDiamond

So second scenario - if you mortgaged investment house1 to pay for building (or removal) of a house on to a block of land (with a mortgage) that would be deductable I presume?
I'm trying to get my head around this one

Not sure if my headache is caused by thinking about this, or the fact that my daughter had a friend over for a sleepover last night !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.