Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mortgages, spouse visa,deposit

mortgages, spouse visa,deposit

Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Question mortgages, spouse visa,deposit

Hi just seeing if anyone has gotten a mortgage while on a temp spouse visa with deposit under 20%?
Was looking and gave up now trying again.
Thanks John & Lorri
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mortgages, spouse visa,deposit

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hi just seeing if anyone has gotten a mortgage while on a temp spouse visa with deposit under 20%?
Thanks John & Lorri
We looked for ages about 4 years ago, finally gave up as they all wanted 20% or more. Now I'm PR we can't afford to buy anyway!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Erko is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Not sure whether this will help or not but it could be worth checking out Homeside (Division of NAB) as they lent to me and my partner with me still being a temp perm resident. We did have a slightly larger deposit at 25%, but could be worth a try.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

I have replied to your PM

Thanks,
Mark
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about the visa situation, but I know Members Equity Bank lend more than 80%, but you need to pay mortgage lenders insurance of around $5K if you borrow >80%.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Thanks John & Lorri
G'day

It is illegal for an Australian based lender or bank to lend more than 80% of a property's value to a temporary resident.

If you have substantial assets in the UK or a good UK income stream, you may get a loan from a UK lender.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
G'day

It is illegal for an Australian based lender or bank to lend more than 80% of a property's value to a temporary resident.

If you have substantial assets in the UK or a good UK income stream, you may get a loan from a UK lender.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Is there any way around things if one of the applicants is an Australian Citizen?
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:42 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Is there any way around things if one of the applicants is an Australian Citizen?
I think the point is if it is the person being the spouse. If it was joint there would be no issue, so long as the person being an Australian citizen would qualify in their own right.

We got a mortgage on temp visa but provided considerably more deposit than 20% so not much help I'm afraid.

Remember on top of the cost of the house the stamp duty in Oz (well victoria at least) is very material.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I think the point is if it is the person being the spouse. If it was joint there would be no issue, so long as the person being an Australian citizen would qualify in their own right.
Just checking
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

The only way around it is to leave the temporary resident off the application.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by longreach
The only way around it is to leave the temporary resident off the application.
WHich isn't usually easy - it may be possible, but we had a lot of problems when we suggestedm it as they said if The Bloke (Aussie citizen) applied on his own, then nthey couldn't take my salary into account. Logical I guess, but it was yet another way round it that was closed to us.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
WHich isn't usually easy - it may be possible, but we had a lot of problems when we suggestedm it as they said if The Bloke (Aussie citizen) applied on his own, then nthey couldn't take my salary into account. Logical I guess, but it was yet another way round it that was closed to us.
Correct... it would be based soley on the one applicant (citizen).

Depending on the price of the house and deposit, the applicant would probably need at least a $70,000 a year income.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by longreach
Correct... it would be based soley on the one applicant (citizen).

Depending on the price of the house and deposit, the applicant would probably need at least a $70,000 a year income.
Not much good for us since I am the citizen and John the visa holder,I don't work.
Might be on to something, will have to wait til tomorrow to find out for sure.
Cheers Lorri