mortgages..

Old May 16th 2003, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Thomas Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile mortgages..

Mortgages ! we all hate them!! and would certainly like to once
and for all see the back of them!! One of factors that came into
play when we first thought of emigrating to NZ.
My question to to fellow members out there is ....
We may not quite be able to afford what property we would
really like , we would though (hopefully)have a large partdownpayment for it. Can we have a small mortgage soon after we have arrived or do we have to wait untill I have settled (hopefully!) in my job before a NZ bank would consider ? Obviously we dont want one at all , but we are not absolutely sure how much money we will have after paying bills fees, exchange rates , house market ect..........Some people think we
are mad to even think of emigrating , let alone actually start the
process! Such is life!!
Old May 16th 2003, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mitchells is an unknown quantity at this point

Have sent you a PM

Hope it makes sense
Old May 16th 2003, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mortgages..

Hi, haven't done it yet but it looks like no problem. Have a look at http://www.nationalbank.co.nz/person.../residents.htm seem to be geared up for new residents.

Gra...
Old May 16th 2003, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

mrfrosty is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also intertested in this for Australia, thinking about around the Melbourne / Perth area. Anyone have any links/suggestions?

Marcus
Old May 16th 2003, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

I opened a savings account with HSBC in Perth with a view to transferring some money later. A couple of weeks afterwards I went in and asked if I could have a bridging loan so I could buy a house in Perth before I sold my own house in the UK.

The guy said, no worries - he didn't have any references to check but he did want a mortage on the place I was buying.
Old May 16th 2003, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you open your HSBC account in the UK?, I'm going over next year ( received visa last week!) and would like to do something similar. If the exchange rate ever gets back up.

Perth Aug 2004
Old May 16th 2003, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GengaKev
Did you open your HSBC account in the UK?, I'm going over next year ( received visa last week!) and would like to do something similar. If the exchange rate ever gets back up.

Perth Aug 2004
Tried that and hit a load of forms designed to stop money-laundering. It can be done but it's a damn sight easier just to walk into a bank in Oz and open an account. If I remember correctly, if you open the account within 6 weeks of arriving you only need to show your passport.
Old May 16th 2003, 4:38 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mortgages..

Originally posted by Thomas Family
Mortgages ! we all hate them!! and would certainly like to once
and for all see the back of them!! One of factors that came into
play when we first thought of emigrating to NZ.
My question to to fellow members out there is ....
We may not quite be able to afford what property we would
really like , we would though (hopefully)have a large partdownpayment for it. Can we have a small mortgage soon after we have arrived or do we have to wait untill I have settled (hopefully!) in my job before a NZ bank would consider ? Obviously we dont want one at all , but we are not absolutely sure how much money we will have after paying bills fees, exchange rates , house market ect..........Some people think we
are mad to even think of emigrating , let alone actually start the
process! Such is life!!
No worries. I spoke personally to 2 NZ banks in March (ANZ and National), bank manager at the National, mortgage mgr at ANZ. You only need 2/3 weeks' payslips and you can get a mortgage (provided you have a 10-15% deposit).

Cheers - Don
Old May 16th 2003, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Thomas Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Thanks pleasancefamily for the reply , the bank/mortgage system does seem to work very different to the UK. We dont really want
new debt starting a new life ,but if it is of only a small amount, and would mean a better quality of life ,then it is a small price to pay. We hopefully may not need loans yet but we are looking at every angle!