British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mortgage in Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mortgage-oz-111126/)

mandandbri Sep 8th 2002 4:04 pm

Mortgage in Oz

On the assumption that I will eventually get my PR visa from London I am trying to sort out my paperwork in advance and get a bit organised.
Does anyone have any advice on what type of paperwork I will need to be enable me to get a mortgage when I get to Oz?
Will I be able to apply as soon as I have got a permanent job, even If I have very little for a deposit?

Any comments around this subject would be welcome.
thanks

willywh3r3 Sep 9th 2002 1:50 am

Re: Mortgage in Oz

From other posts, it seems that you will find it difficult to get gov jobs if you are not citizen. But I may be wrong as I am not living in Oz.

Originally posted by mandandbri:
On the assumption that I will eventually get my PR visa from London I am trying to sort out my paperwork in advance and get a bit organised.
Does anyone have any advice on what type of paperwork I will need to be enable me to get a mortgage when I get to Oz?
Will I be able to apply as soon as I have got a permanent job, even If I have very little for a deposit?

thanks

pommie bastard Sep 9th 2002 4:04 am

thanks
Soon as you get job and a employer gives you letter stating its full time , go down to your nearest bank and they will chuck loads of of dosh at you .Rule is 20% deposit or you will have to pay mortgage protection insurance, upto 3 times earnings is max on borrowing.Good Luck:D :beer:

shorrock Sep 9th 2002 5:23 am

thanks
It may be worth bringing

1) at least 3 to 6 months pay slips
2) A P60 (the form you get every year that states your wage & tax for the year)
3) Bank statements on a savings account showing regular deposits (and not too many withdraws :D )

This is the information I had to give a bank when I wanted a mortgage.

Kieron

Thunder Ace Sep 9th 2002 2:34 pm

willywh3r3 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > From other posts, it seems that you will find it difficult to get gov jobs if you
    > are not citizen. But I may be wrong as I am not living in Oz.

I don't think this is quite true. You will find it difficult if not impossible to get
defence related work, but other government jobs are open.

Thunder Ace

> Originally posted by mandandbri:
    > > On the assumption that I will eventually get my PR visa from London I am trying
    > > to sort out my paperwork in advance and get a bit organised. Does anyone have any
    > > advice on what type of paperwork I will need to be enable me to get a mortgage
    > > when I get to Oz? Will I be able to apply as soon as I have got a permanent job,
    > > even If I have very little for a deposit?
    > >
    > > Any comments around this subject would be welcome.
    > thanks

kango_jack Sep 9th 2002 4:34 pm

I don't think this is quite true. You will find it difficult if not impossible to get
defence related work, but other government jobs are open.

Thunder Ace

Thunder Ace
Just picking up on your comment about defence industries, is this because you have to go for security clearance and you can only do this if you are a citizen? :confused:
Just curious as I am an accountant at a Defence company in the UK and thought this might be an option in Oz.
Regards
Annie

bsftaylorm Sep 9th 2002 4:48 pm

Originally posted by kango_jack:

Just curious as I am an accountant at a Defence company in the UK and thought this might be an option in Oz.
Regards
Annie
Annie

What type of accountant are you? I am chartered, and heading to Brisbane in 3 weeks. If you want me to let you know the job situation first hand then drop me an e-mail or send a PM through this forum.

Mark

Mala Sep 9th 2002 10:02 pm

shorrock <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by mandandbri:
    > > On the assumption that I will eventually get my PR visa from London I am trying
    > > to sort out my paperwork in advance and get a bit organised. Does anyone have any
    > > advice on what type of paperwork I will need to be enable me to get a mortgage
    > > when I get to Oz? Will I be able to apply as soon as I have got a permanent job,
    > > even If I have very little for a deposit?
    > >
    > > Any comments around this subject would be welcome. thanks
    > It may be worth bringing
    > 1) at least 3 to 6 months pay slips
    > 2) A P60 (the form you get every year that states your wage & tax for the year)
    > 3) Bank statements on a savings account showing regular deposits (and not too many
    > withdraws :D )

Does anyone know what will be required for someone wanting a mortgage who will be a
self employed tradesman?

We should be in Aus before the end of the year and will be looking for somewhere to
buy. Originally we would have been looking for somewhere to rent for the first few
months, but with property prices as they are in the UK, we may be in a position to
hold a considerable deposit.

It seems a shame not to use this against a property of our own, but are the rules the
same as in the UK i.e you need 3 years records of accounts (which we have but
obviously these are our UK accounts), if so does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Mala

Gday Sep 10th 2002 1:49 am

Hi All

From experience, it is very difficult to get a defence related or government job
unless you are a citizen or eligible to become a citizen. The bottom line is that the
potential employer has to go through a lot more hastle to get you security clearance
and consequently employing someone who is not a citizen is more risky. Because of
this most HR departments will not consider non citizens for jobs.

On the other hand if you are patient, someone somewhere might just be prepared to
employ you if you have skills which are not readily available.

Best of luck with the job hunting! eventually you will get what you want.

Back on the original subject of mortgages, Migrants with little deposits are high
risk. Take copies of your existing bank statements and mortgage statements with you
to Oz which may help demonstrate that you have a reliable financial history, it
does help!!

Cheers GDay

"kango_jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >
    > > I don't think this is quite true. You will find it difficult if not impossible to
    > > get defence related work, but other government jobs are open.
    > >
    > > Thunder Ace
    > >
    > >
    > Thunder Ace Just picking up on your comment about defence industries, is this
    > because you have to go for security clearance and you can only do this if you are a
    > citizen? :confused: Just curious as I am an accountant at a Defence company in the
    > UK and thought this might be an option in Oz. Regards Annie
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com