Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mortgage holiday......

Mortgage holiday......

Old Dec 19th 2003, 11:51 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mortgage holiday......

Anybody thought of asking for a mortgage holiday for couple of months during the lead up to shipping out. It wont affect what you pay once you've sold your house.I don't suppose they'll let you if they know your about to put it up for sale, but you can lie.

...it'll pay for the flights.

Good A?

I haven't done it yet but was going to ask at end of Feb.
Obviously won't tell them why , just say I'm skint.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I was looking into doing the same, was upfront with the Nationwide as to our resaons for wanting to take one and they were okay with it.

Having said this, I haven't opted to do it..

Jo
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by josiejo1974
Hi

I was looking into doing the same, was upfront with the Nationwide as to our resaons for wanting to take one and they were okay with it.

Having said this, I haven't opted to do it..

Jo
Can you see any reasons why wouldn't want to?
i.e. reasons that others might want to consider.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:02 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

dazzac, we organised a mortgage holiday after we had moved to australia & were still trying to sell the UK property. 18 months of mortgage payments (1000 GBP) on aussie wages wasnt a pretty sight on our bank balance . We managed a 6 month mortgage holiday which at least took the heat off for some of the time. The house was up for sale at the time (had been for 12 months).

Nothing to lose, everything to gain, its worth a go, especially if finances are tight. They can only say no!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

We couldn't find any reason to not do it and the Nationwide will process your application over the phone, so there isn't hours of form filling.

The reason we decided not to was partly through the time to sort it out and also as we were hoping to have sold the house by now.

But I reckon if we haven't sold by June time, then I will strongly reconsider in taking one.

Have you had your house up for sale for long?

Jo
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Its not yet up for sale - will be in the new year. I don't think we'll have too many problems getting rid of it because of the type of house it is.

I would have thought a mortgage lender would get funny about giving you a mortgage holiday prior to selling as they are then guaranteed to not make any more money from you.

All sounds good though.