British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mortgage advice or recommendations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mortgage-advice-recommendations-384275/)

RayZor Jul 11th 2006 1:48 am

Re: Mortgage advice or recommendations

Good thread.

Can I ask when you are eligible to get a mortgage, as in UK they want to see a history of a couple of years salary / tax returns etc...do you have to wait while or can you get one straight away when you get a job and use previous employment refs from UK?

I am also struck between renting first to see how it goes before buying, but there is nothing like buying your "own" home....

SenoraJo Jul 11th 2006 2:02 am

Originally Posted by RayZor
Good thread.

Can I ask when you are eligible to get a mortgage, as in UK they want to see a history of a couple of years salary / tax returns etc...do you have to wait while or can you get one straight away when you get a job and use previous employment refs from UK?

I am also struck between renting first to see how it goes before buying, but there is nothing like buying your "own" home....

I guess it depends how much you have to put down. Our experience is that I have 5 months of payslips (started my job Feb 13th) but hubby only started April 26th. All mortgage company wanted was to know whether hubby was on three month probation or not (usual here). He isn't and letter said the same. I think mortgage companies just want to know you are permanently employed on a certain salary so they can work out if you can afford repayments. It seems here they will lend you loads more than in the UK, though we have gone for a smaller loan to ensure we can afford a good quality of life - nights out, holls etc. If you're working you should be able to buy nearly straight away and if you have loads of equity them you should have no probs - friends of ours have alot of money to put down and have been offered a mortgage even though only one of them has a job.

Good luck,

Jo :)

iPom Jul 11th 2006 2:13 am

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
ME bank is usually the cheapest and has no fees but you need to be in a union or member of a super fund.they have info on stamp duty etc.Pay fortnightly as this means you make 13 monthly payments per year rather than 12,it usually saves around 7 yrs payments.for a short time you will pay very little off the loan as they usually start to go down quicker after year 12.A rough repayment guide is to multiply your loan by the interest rate and add on $200 per month,naturally the larger the loan the larger the error.All bank sites and Me bank have calculators on them for repayments.Good Luck.

Thanks ... that's interesting. What's Me Bank?

Suni&Jay Jul 11th 2006 2:47 am

We are going on a 136 Investor / Business temp visa.
Will we be able to get a mortgage by putting down 40/50%.
Neither of us will be working as we will need to set up a business.
The only income will be interest on Bond and rental from UK house.

P.S. Had a oneaccount (offset mortgage) best thing we ever did :beer:

iPom Jul 11th 2006 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
We are going on a 136 Investor / Business temp visa.
Will we be able to get a mortgage by putting down 40/50%.
Neither of us will be working as we will need to set up a business.
The only income will be interest on Bond and rental from UK house.

P.S. Had a oneaccount (offset mortgage) best thing we ever did :beer:

You might be better going for a self certification mortgage, which is called a Lo Doc... you tell them you can afford it and they give it to you basically.
Check out the links on page one of this thread that Jo posted. :)
Given high deposit, you could also speak to your bank and see what they can do for you too. :)

Gold Coaster Jul 11th 2006 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by iPom
Help!

We're looking at just buying a really basic house up here which we will tart up and make look nice and sell on in a few years.

I need advice on how to get a good deal with a good company. I've looked on the net and there seems to be hundreds of mortgage providers... How do I sort the wheat from the chaff? :confused:

Anything you know would be helpful.

Thank you.

Hi iPom,

If I can assist you in any way with regards to home loans or general finance please p.m me and I will be glad to give you the best advise I can. Our service partner Asset Unity - www.assetunity.com.au provides a broad range of financial services.

Good luck with it all

Tony.

ianandhelena Jul 11th 2006 5:25 pm

Thanks ... that's interesting. What's Me Bank?

it's this:

http://www.membersequity.com.au/

luvit Jul 11th 2006 5:29 pm

Help!

We're looking at just buying a really basic house up here which we will tart up and make look nice and sell on in a few years.

I need advice on how to get a good deal with a good company. I've looked on the net and there seems to be hundreds of mortgage providers... How do I sort the wheat from the chaff? :confused:

Anything you know would be helpful.

Thank you.

We used Mortgage choice - fantastic guy (he was a pom :) ) told us loads of info and made the whole process easy. We are in brizie so he may not be much use to you in NSW, sorry :)

iPom Jul 11th 2006 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
Hi iPom,

If I can assist you in any way with regards to home loans or general finance please p.m me and I will be glad to give you the best advise I can. Our service partner Asset Unity - www.assetunity.com.au provides a broad range of financial services.

Good luck with it all

Tony.

Cheers Tony, might follow that up with you.

Currently looking at our finances to see whether we can really afford it all. :o

iPom Jul 11th 2006 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by ianandhelena

Thanks. :)

Gold Coaster Jul 11th 2006 11:54 pm

Cheers Tony, might follow that up with you.

Currently looking at our finances to see whether we can really afford it all. :o

No worries,

I have sent you a P.M

Cheers

Tony