mortgage

Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all
Default Re: mortgage

Originally Posted by NickyC
Putting that amount towards a mortgage ($360 a week), the Commonwealth Bank calculator reckons you could borrow $192k over 25 years or $200k over 30 years.
Thanks Nicky,

Guess I'll just be renting for the rest of my life then cos you can't buy anything for $192k and on a single nurses wage this is a comfy anount for me. Any more and we would be struggling.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sammyg
Yep - think that's right In Perth only though?

sam xx
http://www.noosarealtyservice.com/qu...lculator.html#
Queensland too!

Last edited by Stella340; Nov 17th 2007 at 5:44 am.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:05 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by paulhill
Anybody who has ever owned a house anywhere in the world has to pay stamp duty.
NZ does not have stamp duty as far as i am aware so not everywhere.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
No it's only if you owned a house in Aus.
Tracie

No its not, the law changed in January 2007.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by dugongs
NZ does not have stamp duty as far as i am aware so not everywhere.

I dont know about NZ, I was only saying about Australia.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 11:27 am
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Don't forget you can get 1st time buyers mortgage CASHBACK from government !!
Hi,

I've just read this thread with interest.

Q1: Does the "CASHBACK from government" for "1st time buyers" mean people buying their first home in Australia? Could immigrants arriving in Aus who owned a house elsewhere get it? Or does having owned a house in the UK mean you don't qualify? What is the "CASHBACK" exactly?

Q2: First time buyers not paying stamp duty in QLD. People seem to have differing opinions about this - can anyone confirm this either way?

We're in our second home in the UK, and look to have £25k after sale. £5k will probably go straight away on fees and debts, so hopefully we'll arrive in Aus with the equivalent of £20k (whatever that will be at the time).

I'm just trying to work out how much of this we will need for fees etc when we come to buy and how much of a 'comfortable' position our 'equity' will put us in. We're hoping to get somewhere between $350 - $400 k. Obviously income is still an unknown factor, but we do have rent-free accommodation available when we arrive for as long as needed, so we'll hopefully be able to boast our savings then.

Part of me would like to 'skim off' 1k or so for a trip to Perth etc before we settle too much and whilst we have access to cash...
Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mooncat
Well looking at it from the other side, I pay $360 a week rent. Can anyone tell me how much of a house that would get me if it was a mortgage?
Hi Mooncat

We took out a full 100% interest only mortgage a couple of months ago to buy a vacant block of land, we also borrowed the stamp duty and loan set-up costs as we had no deposit............. or we didn't want to fork out anything for the deposit.

Commonwealth Bank whom I have 5 accounts with including our company trust account...............knocked us back........... that was due to us not having our ABN for the required 2 years.......... we were 6 months short. Our Broker fixed up the loan within 3 days............. our repayments are $2,000 a month and the amount we borrowed was just over $300K.

That should give you some sort of an idea re the repayments.......... there are several BE members who are finance brokers so I'm sure one of them can come up with some sort of formula to put you properly in the picture.

Good luck
Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan View Post
No it's only if you owned a house in Aus.
Tracie

I think you may find that what Tracie says is right............ least ways in Perth!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

That must be over your side but I know that here in WA it's only if you have owned a house in Aus. I'm building and although I did have to pay it I could claim it back as soon as I got my UIN number and proved I was indeed going to build on the land. I know of others who didn't even have to do that much. When we spoke to them in the State Revenue Office about this they said they are still a bit unsure since the new law came in so depending on who you deal with you may have to pay it and claim it back or you may get away with just not having to pay at all!!!!
Tracie

Last edited by breezeboylan; Nov 18th 2007 at 4:55 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
That must be over your side but I know that here in WA it's only if you have owned a house in Aus. I'm building and although I did have to pay it I could claim it back as soon as I got my UIN number and proved I was indeed going to build on the land. I know of others who didn't even have to do that much. When we spoke to them in the State Revenue Office about this they said they are still a bit unsure since the new law came in so depending on who you deal with you may have to pay it and claim it back or you may get away with just not having to pay at all!!!!
Tracie

Its obviously different here in Queensland! Why cant they just keep every state the same?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
Hi,

I've just read this thread with interest.

Q1: Does the "CASHBACK from government" for "1st time buyers" mean people buying their first home in Australia? Could immigrants arriving in Aus who owned a house elsewhere get it? Or does having owned a house in the UK mean you don't qualify? What is the "CASHBACK" exactly?

Q2: First time buyers not paying stamp duty in QLD. People seem to have differing opinions about this - can anyone confirm this either way?

We're in our second home in the UK, and look to have £25k after sale. £5k will probably go straight away on fees and debts, so hopefully we'll arrive in Aus with the equivalent of £20k (whatever that will be at the time).

I'm just trying to work out how much of this we will need for fees etc when we come to buy and how much of a 'comfortable' position our 'equity' will put us in. We're hoping to get somewhere between $350 - $400 k. Obviously income is still an unknown factor, but we do have rent-free accommodation available when we arrive for as long as needed, so we'll hopefully be able to boast our savings then.

Part of me would like to 'skim off' 1k or so for a trip to Perth etc before we settle too much and whilst we have access to cash...
Q1

All first time home buyers currently receive a grant of $7,000. There are several qualification criteria such as:

Permanent resident
First home in Australia
Need to live in it for 6 months

Q2

In QLD, the 'first home' rule differs from the first home owners grant. The rule states that to receive stamp duty concessions, you must not have owned a home before, ie worldwide, whereas the grant states that you must not have owned a home in Australia

Stamp duty on a $400K home is $6,000. Transfer fees of $616.50. Allow $1,000 for conveyancing, $118 for registration, $118 for discharge, $25 for search fee, approx $1400 for stamp duty on mortgage. Also note that you will have to pay mortgage lenders insurance if your mortgage is more than 80%.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by longreach
Q1

All first time home buyers currently receive a grant of $7,000. There are several qualification criteria such as:

Permanent resident
First home in Australia
Need to live in it for 6 months

Q2

In QLD, the 'first home' rule differs from the first home owners grant. The rule states that to receive stamp duty concessions, you must not have owned a home before, ie worldwide, whereas the grant states that you must not have owned a home in Australia

Stamp duty on a $400K home is $6,000. Transfer fees of $616.50. Allow $1,000 for conveyancing, $118 for registration, $118 for discharge, $25 for search fee, approx $1400 for stamp duty on mortgage. Also note that you will have to pay mortgage lenders insurance if your mortgage is more than 80%.

Cheers,
Mark.

The First Home Owners grant is a federal payment i.e. fixed nationally, where the stamp duty exemptions are legislated state by state.

Certainly in NSW both refer only to previous interest in property in Australia. Homes sold overseas don't count.

Another (in a long list of) reason/s to not live in QLD

S
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Its obviously different here in Queensland! Why cant they just keep every state the same?
Cause that would be too easy
Tracie
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:23 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by longreach
All first time home buyers currently receive a grant .....

Cheers,
Mark.
Cheers guys, I'll file that important bit of info for later use...

How well publicised is this? Ie, could I have arrived in Aus and bought a house without realising all of this?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

mandy1963 has a brilliant futuremandy1963 has a brilliant futuremandy1963 has a brilliant futuremandy1963 has a brilliant futuremandy1963 has a brilliant futuremandy1963 has a brilliant future

Hi Guys,i started this thread,and since doing so,have been told by West Pac bank that on oh earnings,and if we can put $42.000 of our own money they would lend us $260,000,so we can only look at houses up to $300,000.
I really wanted a house for $350,000,as they seem to look in better condition at that price,but the bank said no they would not go that high.They told me you do not pay stamp duty on houses $300,000 or less,and we would get the $7000 first home buyers grant.Do not know what the score is about our money from the Uk thats still ongoing,but i hope it comes off or we will never get on the property ladder.Also the repayment for $260,000 was $1,880 a month which would be a nice amount without overstretching things.
I would like to know if there is a way of borrowing more,but if the bank has said no,how do you find someone who will lend you more than the bank?
And can they garantee you the figure they say they will lend you,or do you run the risk of building your hopes up to be let down when you have found the house of your dreams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.