Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mornington to prahran

Mornington to prahran

Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Cathhenley has a brilliant futureCathhenley has a brilliant futureCathhenley has a brilliant futureCathhenley has a brilliant futureCathhenley has a brilliant futureCathhenley has a brilliant future
Default Mornington to prahran

Could any one tell me what the commute is like from mornington, or mount Eliza to prahran by car or train.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mornington to prahran

Hi

If going by train then you'll need to go to South Yarra which is on the Frankston line and then change and go to Prahran or walk. Depends on the address as it covers an area or there maybe a bus.

Driving, well I know someone who used to commute from Lang Lang to there everyday, Lang is much further from us and I think she said it took an hour and a half using Western Port Highway and the Monash.

I can do there in an hour using the Eastlink (toll) and Monash (certain bits are toll) during quiet times. Unfortunately car driving in Melbourne is all a question of getting your timings right. I've driven up to the city a couple of times recently early morning and for the most part it has been fine but there is a bottle neck around a junction in St Kilda and a bit in the city but then your hubby wouldn't need to do that particular bit. However, it will mean an early start everyday.

You'd need to weigh up the benefits of slightly cheaper housing and a lovely place to live or lots of driving. The train isn't so bad, pretty good service, some express trains and then you get to read/sleep etc. Plenty of people do the commute so must feel it is worth it!

I used to live in Brighton in the UK and did a 3 hour a day round trip commute to Sutton, it was hell at times but so much nicer at weekends and summer evenings to be living there.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:24 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cathhenley
Could any one tell me what the commute is like from mornington, or mount Eliza to prahran by car or train.
I have done exactly this commute, when we first arrived we lived in Mornington and I got off the train at Prahran and then walked to work on St Kilda Rd next to The Alfred Hospital.

Door to door it took almost 2 hours. 20 minute drive from Mornington to Frankston, wait for train, train from Frankston to South Yarra, change trains, wait for train, train 1 stop to Prahran, 10 minute walk to work.

This was the main reason that we moved to Mordialloc.

BB
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Driving would be the quickest. With the new Frankston by-pass due to open early next year it will be easy to get to Frankston freeway and then up to Edithvale and on to Nepean Highway and take beach road up to Glen Huntly and then on to Punt Road for Prahran.

Other way just freeway from Mornington to Nepean Highway and straight up to Punt Road.

My friend drives to Port Melbourne from Somerville where I live which is just 10 mins from Mornington on the Western Port side and she uses Nepean Highway and it takes here about an hour and 10 door to door.

Of course there is the expense of car and petrol but if you get a package with car included before tax it may be ok.

Other than that I used to live in Edithvale and found it ok.

Of course the best idea is to live on the Sandringham line if you want to take public transport.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mornington to prahran

Originally Posted by Petals
Of course there is the expense of car and petrol
....and parking...

BB