Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mornington Peninsular

Mornington Peninsular

Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

chaleyscott will become famous soon enoughchaleyscott will become famous soon enough
Default Mornington Peninsular

Another area we are looking at is the Mornington Peninsular. Does anyone have an info/advice on this area. It looks idyllic but is it?? Need info on schools, access to Melbourne, and the nature (is there country walks), is it a safe area for families etc?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 4:26 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mornington Peninsular

Originally Posted by chaleyscott
Another area we are looking at is the Mornington Peninsular. Does anyone have an info/advice on this area. It looks idyllic but is it?? Need info on schools, access to Melbourne, and the nature (is there country walks), is it a safe area for families etc?

Its a lovely area especially around Mornington itself, Mount Eliza & Mount Martha.
Only been down there a few times but seems to be plenty of schools, one has a swimming pool about size of my old high school in Scotland.

Everywhere in Melbourne has great country walks, no matter what suburb your in theres some great parks & nature walks.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

the Peninsula is a gorgeous area, dotted with about 64 wineries at last count, and always has something going on, Mt Eliza and mornington would be commutable to the city at about 1 hr 20 to get there on a good day, no direct trains from there, the closest to get to the city is frankston. If i could have a good job down that way, i'd live in Mornington without hesitation.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

chaleyscott will become famous soon enoughchaleyscott will become famous soon enough

1 hr 20 mins is quite a big commute - is that in rush hour? How long would it take off-peak? Also does anyone think there would be catering work for weddings/parties/special occasions in the area? We want to set up a buffet catering business over there (which is what we do here)

Originally Posted by jodesmc
the Peninsula is a gorgeous area, dotted with about 64 wineries at last count, and always has something going on, Mt Eliza and mornington would be commutable to the city at about 1 hr 20 to get there on a good day, no direct trains from there, the closest to get to the city is frankston. If i could have a good job down that way, i'd live in Mornington without hesitation.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:34 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

1 hr 20 mins is quite a big commute - is that in rush hour? How long would it take off-peak? Also does anyone think there would be catering work for weddings/parties/special occasions in the area? We want to set up a buffet catering business over there (which is what we do here)

I'm sure there would be catering work around the peninsula. Can I ask why you want to commute to the city?
I'm lucky if I see the city once a month.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Well we are assuming that we'll get more catering business in the city - do you think thats wrong? Our market here is very much ABC1's and businesses requiring catering for business functions. Trying to ascertain our market over there is difficult. Obviously the population is smaller in the peninsular but it may be more of the right market than the city.

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'm sure there would be catering work around the peninsula. Can I ask why you want to commute to the city?
I'm lucky if I see the city once a month.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:14 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Well we are assuming that we'll get more catering business in the city - do you think thats wrong? Our market here is very much ABC1's and businesses requiring catering for business functions. Trying to ascertain our market over there is difficult. Obviously the population is smaller in the peninsular but it may be more of the right market than the city.

Hi Chaleyscott

We live in Somerville at the top end of the peninsula. My hubby commutes into the city everyday and it takes him 1hr 30 mins that is using the train. If he drove he would be stuck on the Monash Freeway and it could take longer. In off peak traffic we can get to the airport in an hour and the city in 45 mins.

If you can I would concentrate on having your business on the peninsula. There must be a business for it. Our cricket club gets caterers in for functions and there a many weddings on the peninsula at some of the many golf courses and wineries and I know friends of ours had caterers in for their wedding at Flinders Golf course.

I met the girl who runs the following business at a tupperware party last year and I am sure there would be an opportunity to advertise your catering. She is a wedding photographer aswell so word of mouth counts.

http://www.celebrationsofmornington.com.au/

If there is anything else you want to know just ask. The peninsula is a great place to live we have been here nearly a year now and would not choose to be anywhere else.

Jo