Reload this Page >

Mornington area Mel info please

Mornington area Mel info please

Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mornington area Mel info please

Hi can you dish the info out on the Mornington Mt Martha/Eliza Dromana Maccrae area schools etc have 15/13 yr old 1 studious 1 not

Sorry if this offends anyone but i've been told through a friend its tatty old and not very socially great so more info would be gratefully accepted of folks who actually are unbiased an in the 'no'

again thanks

oh yeah also houses rentals how much for a good quality one
Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mornington area Mel info please

Hi there

Can't help with schools as we don't have kids.

Are you referring to the schools or areas that are tatty? Mornington, Mount Eliza, Mt Martha are all great areas to live. Dromana and McCrae are more "holiday" towns although more upmarket than Rosebud a bit further down the road.

We've lived in Mt Martha and Mornington and love it, lots of nice shops and cafes and great beaches if you want that kind of lifestyle. Nice countryside down the Peninsula as well - we always say it's like Sussex with gum trees

For a decent rental in Mt M/Mornington expect to pay around $400 upwards a week for a 3/4 bed nice house. Rentals can be a bit thin on the ground during certain times of the year but it's just a case of checking Real Estate a couple of times a day and then getting in touch with the agent pronto. Be ready with all your paperwork when you see something you like and offer to pay 3 months up front if you've not yet started work or are taking a bit of break before returning to work.

Hope this helps!

KK
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard of a few areas called tatty but the first time ever in conjunction with anywhere on the Mornington.
There does seem to be a few bogans around at Christmas time (tourist influx for summer) but it is always a lovely place.

Are you sure your friend did not mean Footscray? That I could understand.

I know a couple with 7 and 9 yr old daughters in Mt Eliza who settled there for the good school. Other than that I have no idea about schools in MP.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I can't think of anywhere in Mt Martha or Mt Eliza that are tatty, Mornington has older commission (council) housing but these are few and far between. Rosebud is probably the worse of the areas named, but still a nice enough area to live, Mcrae is really up and coming and to be honest you have probably missed the boat for a bargain there by a year or two.

Can't help you with schools as we don't have kids, but my nephews go to The Peninsular School (private) and friends Daughters go to St McCartins (I think that is right) and they are very happy with it.

We have just moved to a new house just off Main St and to be honest I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Hope this helps.

John
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by donki
Hi can you dish the info out on the Mornington Mt Martha/Eliza Dromana Maccrae area schools etc have 15/13 yr old 1 studious 1 not

Sorry if this offends anyone but i've been told through a friend its tatty old and not very socially great so more info would be gratefully accepted of folks who actually are unbiased an in the 'no'

again thanks

oh yeah also houses rentals how much for a good quality one
Mornington and the surrounding suburbs are fantastic. Certainly not tatty and great places for families. If you are looking for a good state high school, the best one locally is actually Frankston High School, but this would mean living in Frankston ( as you would need to be in catchment!!)which certain areas of can be classed as a bit "tatty" and some people don't really like it, but the school is good and I think its reputation as a town is improving. There are certainly worse places to live, but personally it would take a lot to beat Mornington, especially "beachside".
Mornington High school is generally OK I believe, and along with Mt Eliza Secondary College on a par with most other state schools. I think Mt Eliza is probably slightly better academically but I think Mornington is improving. It probably depends on your financial situation and whether your kids are looking for grades to go to Uni but if they are then you may want to consider the "private" sector schools. We were in a very similar situation 4 years ago. Our kids had never been to a private school but after visiting all the above we chose to pay. (we would have chosen Frankston HS but didn't want to live there!!) Our youngest 2 went to The Peninsula School in Mt Eliza (we live in Mornington). It is expensive but has been worth every cent. Both boys loved it the youngest is just going into Year 12 in January, the older one got an excellent ENTER score and is now at uni. They would need to love sport though as this is compulsory on Saturdays!! You don't say if they are boys or girls, Penninsula is co ed so thats not a problem, for girls there is also Toorak college (but nearly as pricey), Padua College which is a Catholic school but takes other denominations and is cheaper. You may find that all of these have waiting lists though, Penninsula School almost certainly will have so my advice would be to give them a ring and check before coming, if you are serious get their names on the waiting list before leaving the UK, we did this. It costs a few dollars if you don't use the place but is worth it if you decide its for them.

Hope this helps, pm me if you'd like any further help.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I guess tatty may mean that some of the houses are older and not the plastic fantastics of the new estates around. Mornington is a lovely suburb especially on the beach side of the Nepean Highway and close to Main Street.

Rosebud has a lot of holiday homes and a lot of them are very old but once again its a nice area and there are a lot of older people who call Rosebud home as it is warmer there than other areas of the Peninsula as its in the lee of Arthurs Seat.

Dromana and Safety Beach get the westerly and when it blows it blows.

There are many high schools around and I guess once you arrive you will find out which school suits you. What suits one does not suit another. Lets face it most children are average and just like we were when we were young. We cannot force them to be brain surgeons, especially if we did not do the hard yards ourselves. Genes play a lot in all of this.