Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moreton Bay , Moreton Island & Stradbroke Island

Moreton Bay , Moreton Island & Stradbroke Island

Old Feb 20th 2016, 4:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Moreton Bay , Moreton Island & Stradbroke Island

What is Moreton Bay and Moreton Island really like for being restful & peaceful please. Is there accom with a swimming pool? Do they have reasonably priced places to eat.

Also, the wildlife. Can you see dolphins, dudongs, turtles, whales , birds, kangaroos ?

Thanks people
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Moreton Bay , Moreton Island & Stradbroke Island

Originally Posted by BEVS
What is Moreton Bay and Moreton Island really like for being restful & peaceful please. Is there accom with a swimming pool? Do they have reasonably priced places to eat.

Also, the wildlife. Can you see dolphins, dudongs, turtles, whales , birds, kangaroos ?

Thanks people
Moreton bay is huge....it covers an area from just north of the Gold coast as far as Bribie island and further north. Brisbane itself is on Moreton bay.

Moreton Island is a massive sand island and is mainly used for camping and day trips although has a resort at Tangaloooma. I once spent a few days one Christmas staying on a boat near Tangaloooma.

There are many towns on the Edge of Moreton bay (my house overlooked the bay), with varying types of accommodation....but a lot of It is built up.

Your best bet may be North Stradbroke island which has a lot of hotels etc. you are almost guaranteed to see dolphins on the ocean side and we have seen them in the bay, from my bedroom window in fact, dugongs are much harder to see them although I have seen a few when out in the boat and once from the house. Turtles are fairly common. Whales can be seen at the right time f the year from Stradboke but rarely in the bay.

There are a lot of birds on the bay....we spotted over 100 species from the house and there are more on the shore.

There may be places to stay along the bay but they are mostly residential and your best bet would be one of the islands.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Moreton bay is huge....it covers an area from just north of the Gold coast as far as Bribie island and further north. Brisbane itself is on Moreton bay.

Moreton Island is a massive sand island and is mainly used for camping and day trips although has a resort at Tangaloooma. I once spent a few days one Christmas staying on a boat near Tangaloooma.

There are many towns on the Edge of Moreton bay (my house overlooked the bay), with varying types of accommodation....but a lot of It is built up.

Your best bet may be North Stradbroke island which has a lot of hotels etc. you are almost guaranteed to see dolphins on the ocean side and we have seen them in the bay, from my bedroom window in fact, dugongs are much harder to see them although I have seen a few when out in the boat and once from the house. Turtles are fairly common. Whales can be seen at the right time f the year from Stradboke but rarely in the bay.

There are a lot of birds on the bay....we spotted over 100 species from the house and there are more on the shore.

There may be places to stay along the bay but they are mostly residential and your best bet would be one of the islands.
That actually sounds quite nice.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 12:53 am
`

It does.

I'll take a look at Stradbroke Island thanks Grayling as it may suit better from what you write.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It does.

I'll take a look at Stradbroke Island thanks Grayling as it may suit better from what you write.
I went there once briefly about 7 years ago. Spent the night in a town on the west side where the ferry is (a bit rubbish), then went out to the north east of the island which was very beautiful.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Straddie is beautiful! My best friend got married on the beach there. Accommodation available from camping to resort style; lots of wildlife and things to do. You'll love it there!
Old Feb 21st 2016, 7:29 pm
`

Default Re: Moreton Bay , Moreton Island & Stradbroke Island

Originally Posted by Beoz
I went there once briefly about 7 years ago. Spent the night in a town on the west side where the ferry is (a bit rubbish), then went out to the north east of the island which was very beautiful.
This is sounding good. Thanks

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Straddie is beautiful! My best friend got married on the beach there. Accommodation available from camping to resort style; lots of wildlife and things to do. You'll love it there!
Will I? Is it me Capp?

Any thoughts on places to stay then. Not camping. Had my fill of budget.

I think we and in particular my husband deserve something a little more comfy. Perhaps a swimming pool. Visit to cafe/restaurants .

Main aim though is to see the wildlife .
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

This is sounding good. Thanks

Will I? Is it me Capp?

Any thoughts on places to stay then. Not camping. Had my fill of budget.

I think we and in particular my husband deserve something a little more comfy. Perhaps a swimming pool. Visit to cafe/restaurants .

Main aim though is to see the wildlife .
Best place would be Point Lookout....plenty of self catering accommodation, pub, cafes etc.

Not sure about hotels but lots of apartments.....also a nice walk around the rocky point to see dolphins, turtles and Whales in season.

Some nice beaches and generally pretty quiet. You would probably need a car although there is a bus from the ferry terminal....it is a pretty big island and there are one to two spots to visit. No real big shops on the island so probably best to take food essentials with you.....plenty of places to eat and takeaways though.

Lovely spot and we used to go quite often even though we coud see the island from our house

Kangaroos and wallabies can be found anywhere and we have seen them in Point Lookout...best time is the evening but could be anytime

Just to add...there is a downside...much of the island is wooded and it is prone to bush fires. A few places on the island were evacuated a couple of years ago and we get the smoke drifting over to our house and we could see the fires especially at night.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...106-30deo.html

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 21st 2016 at 8:12 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed at this resort/hotel and it was lovely and not too expensive Stradbroke Island Beach Hotel | Spa Resort :: Resort Accommodation : Dining : Spa : Hotel : Functions : Conference : Weddings
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I can offer nothing useful to this thread but everytime I see it, I keep saying "Bugs!" out loud

Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I can offer nothing useful to this thread but everytime I see it, I keep saying "Bugs!" out loud

Why ?
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Why ?
Moreton Bay Bugs are fab.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oh, slow is me
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have added a separate Tangalooma, Moreton Island thread -> http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr...island-873201/
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:11 pm
`

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oooooo. I have to get there now. Oh yes I do.

Originally Posted by fish.01
I have added a separate Tangalooma, Moreton Island thread -> http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr...island-873201/
Jut seen it fish01. Thank you so much. I think I might be getting a little excited about making this possible for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.