Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The more we want it the luckier we get....

The more we want it the luckier we get....

Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice
Default The more we want it the luckier we get....

Dear all,

By way of an introduction:

We first started to seriously think about moving to Oz 3 years ago, then started to seriously dream about it....then my wife's job changed....to hairdresser....then a year ago I was informed of an upcoming reorganisation at work which could mean an offer of redundancy (same firm for 20 years)...then I did the 475 application.....then the potential offer delayed...just like the 475.

By the time the Visa comes through I will have worked my 3 month notice...take a couple of months to tie up loose ends and arrange the move...then go.

Firm believer that if you want something badly enough, then it will happen and all of the problems will solve themselves.

Figure we will be in Adelaide by around June 09.....just when the Oz housing market is softening......see what I mean about luck?

Twinset
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:46 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The more we want it the luckier we get....

Originally Posted by Twinset
Dear all,

We first started to seriously think about moving to Oz 3 years ago, then started to seriously dream about it....then my wife's job changed....to hairdresser....then a year ago I was informed of an upcoming reorganisation at work which could mean an offer of redundancy (same firm for 20 years)...then I did the 475 application.....then the potential offer delayed...just like the 475.

By the time the Visa comes through I will have worked my 3 month notice...take a couple of months to tie up loose ends and arrange the move...then go.

Firm believer that if you want something badly enough, then it will happen and all of the problems will solve themselves.

Figure we will be in Adelaide by around June 09.....just when the Oz housing market is softening......see what I mean about luck?

Twinset
Thats great for you - congratulations.

Please remember though that not everyone on this forum is as fortunate as you have been. Some families really struggle to get a visa - some will never meet the criteria.

I hope everything continues well for you. Please do not be complacent - pride comes before a fall.

Best of luck

Jules x
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Jules,

Point well made......nothing is ever certain in this life but if I look at all of the things we have put in place over the last years, we have made this happen: in other words the more we want it, the harder we work to make this happen the luckier we get.

One of these days, I will let you know all of the associated background stuff that has contributed to this, once all the company stuff is finished and done with.

Didn't say it had been easy....merely make the point that once you start dreaming about something with your eyes open, it is amazing what will come into place......

Twinset
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:30 am
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Smile Re: The more we want it the luckier we get....

How lovely to read a post by a 'glass half full' bod. Keep smilin........I truly believe it makes things feel better! Diz x
Jules,

Point well made......nothing is ever certain in this life but if I look at all of the things we have put in place over the last years, we have made this happen: in other words the more we want it, the harder we work to make this happen the luckier we get.

One of these days, I will let you know all of the associated background stuff that has contributed to this, once all the company stuff is finished and done with.

Didn't say it had been easy....merely make the point that once you start dreaming about something with your eyes open, it is amazing what will come into place......

Twinset
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Diz,

Well put....have to say, bottling up a lot of hopes etc until it becomes a reality. It definitely helps to be positive and begin with the end in mind.....lord, can't wait to finish up work and get these bizness phrases out of my head!!!

Twinset
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:04 am
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Talking Re: The more we want it the luckier we get....

I know what you mean about 'the phrases' - I keep a list of 'jargon and buzzwords' in my pad when I attend big meetings and play 'jargon bingo'. As soon as I cross 5 terms off my list from the course speakers, I shout 'BINGO' in my head and stiffle giggles whilst getting funny looks from other delegates!!
Diz,

Well put....have to say, bottling up a lot of hopes etc until it becomes a reality. It definitely helps to be positive and begin with the end in mind.....lord, can't wait to finish up work and get these bizness phrases out of my head!!!

Twinset
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:09 am

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Good for you
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: The more we want it the luckier we get....

Think you are right....have to keep my wits about me whilst in meetings.

I have a friend who emigrated to Canada (our second choice!!) earlier this year and he describes sitting in meetings, with an overwhelming feeling of "why am I here - I really do not give a xxxx for any of this".

Personally think it would get pretty difficult to maintain any performance in job if I started to think that way just now. Too easy to burn bridges.

Think the biggest challenge will be giving the job up prior to having the Visa in my hand.....but noone said it would all be plain sailing!!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:59 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all,

Twinset
Congrats however if you had a house about 1.5 years ago would have been better timed. If you don't happy days.

As for struggling to meet the criteria ill health and bad luck aside I don't see that as a issue. Most people on the forum are going on a skilled visa of some sort. A skill they have worked at for some years the opputunity to emigrate is not a birth right. The UK offers the same chances to skilled professional's under the piont's system in introduction.

But mate fair play and keep smiling
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zambia
Congrats however if you had a house about 1.5 years ago would have been better timed. If you don't happy days.

As for struggling to meet the criteria ill health and bad luck aside I don't see that as a issue. Most people on the forum are going on a skilled visa of some sort. A skill they have worked at for some years the opputunity to emigrate is not a birth right. The UK offers the same chances to skilled professional's under the piont's system in introduction.

But mate fair play and keep smiling
I think it would be fair to say that if we had sold up and moved 2-3 years ago, many things would have been in our favour, however many circumstances would have prevented that: all things happen when they happen and I am happy to make the trade-off around houses, exchange rates, leaving a multinational blue-chip company etc for a shot at the opportunity of a lifetime!!

I should say that we are both going as skilled workers and expect to be pulling our weight within the economy at a rapid rate of knots. My wife is a time-served hairdresser, but did not qualify for the skilled visa route due to being in another career as her main job, hence we are going in under mine.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:00 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all,

Twinset
Just dont make the mistake of moving to secret harbour,seems to full of miserable people like Julesandco.I mean who shat on her parade
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

In a democracy, all can speak and all should be heard.....
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:33 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

In a democracy, all can speak and all should be heard.....
well, good luck to you hun.
About time someone had some.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Just dont make the mistake of moving to secret harbour,seems to full of miserable people like Julesandco.I mean who shat on her parade
Just giving their opinion as far as I can see, nothing wrong with that
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Well some will argue that you are unlucky landing in Adelaide!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.