British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   More UK TV on Aussie TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/more-uk-tv-aussie-tv-545276/)

worzel Jun 26th 2008 7:56 am

More UK TV on Aussie TV

And there goes the last thing that the UK is better than Australia for ;)

"FOXTEL and BBC Worldwide have announced a significant strategic alliance that will enable Australian viewers to access an extensive range of BBC channels. The long-term agreement will initially see BBC Worldwide roll out three new channels in Australia from its new BBC-branded global portfolio.

The first of these is BBC HD, which launched on Sunday as part of the new FOXTEL HD+ service. In addition, two further new BBC channels – BBC Knowledge and CBeebies – will be the first BBC channels to launch on FOXTEL when it gains extra cable and satellite capacity in mid 2009."

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...012990,00.html

mydearboy1 Jun 26th 2008 8:18 am

Re: More UK TV on Aussie TV

I wouldnt get excited! The standered of TV in the UK has hit rock bottom over the past 3 years. With the BBC being one of the worst offenders and have been recently fined by the watchdog for its poor service.

herrchook Jun 26th 2008 9:43 am

Well, personally, I think that cBeebies is a fantastic channel for kids and that there are some really great programmes on there. My 4 yo is so over Bananas in Pyjamas and is going to be delighted to hear she can watch Nina and the Neurons again :lol::lol::lol:

Good old Aunty Beeb:o:thumbsup:

worzel Jun 26th 2008 9:44 am

Originally Posted by mydearboy1 (Post 6504775)
I wouldnt get excited! The standered of TV in the UK has hit rock bottom over the past 3 years. With the BBC being one of the worst offenders and have been recently fined by the watchdog for its poor service.

It doesn't bother me - I download all the best bits off the net already.;)

joh117 Jun 26th 2008 10:09 am

I agree Cbeebies is a great channel for kids. Though I am hoping my DD doesnt watch as much TV in Oz as I am hoping she will want to play outside in the fresh air more.

I have been stocking up on DVD's of Pingu her favourite channel so she may still be able to see this on Cbeebies

Jo

spsspence Jun 26th 2008 10:22 am

Oh goodie, that means when I get down there I still can't get away from whatever you get to vote on this week. What is it this time, Choirs get voted off, God save us from this endless stream of mindless drivel.

donovandenese Jun 26th 2008 10:42 am

what makes you think aussie tv is any better? most of it is from the US - extensive range of reality/vote off shows

worzel Jun 26th 2008 10:57 am

This is a great lesson in appreciating what you have. UK TV is mediocre but when you get here and it is even worse, there are adverts every 5 minutes (including 2 minutes in and 2 minutes from the end) and half the things they talk about don't mean a thing to you then you will realise that UK TV was actually quite good. Apart from ITV of course, that is all shite.:lol:

spsspence Jun 26th 2008 11:01 am

I lived for a couple of years in the States and the TV drove me mental, you end up watching three programs at the same time because of the ad breaks, no wonder they have ADD. The TV in the UK is getting more and more like that every year.

I've lived in many different countries so I can see the good points, and bad.

EvannTel Jun 26th 2008 11:05 am

BBC HD is very dissappointing. Mainly as seen it all before and loads of reruns - all in the same week! Check the programme guide. Quality is excellent though.

CBeebies is one of the fastest new plasma slayers out there too with their lairy logo on screen burning in.

CDM Jun 26th 2008 11:40 am

As someone that watches a lot of TV and having lived in 3 countries on 2 continents, I can say with hand on my heart that British TV (the BBC in particular) is BY FAR the best TV on the planet.

Until you've lived in another country, you can't really appreciate this but the quality & diversity of programming is much better than you'll get anywhere else.

I especially hate TV ADs so I'm perhaps a bit biased in that there are no ADs on the BBC but even taking this into consideration, I still conclude that there's much more worth watching on the BBC compared to other broadcasters. Sure there are not-to-miss series. documentaries and the like on other channels but these are the highlights for those channels and it leaves the reast of their line-up often wanting.

- CDM

mydearboy1 Jun 26th 2008 12:26 pm

Please tell me what programmes are worth watching on bbctv, as i havent seen many for years.

An average evening on BBC1would be
530 Soap
600 News
630 local news
700 Magazine Chat show
730 Soap
800 Old rerun or another soap (holby etc)
900-1000 usualy 2 fly on the wall docs such as (on the fiddle, worlds fatest people etc)
1000 News
1030 Current affairs programme or Really old film.

BBC2
530 kids
600 quizzzes
700 sport roundup
800 Fly on wall
900 Fly on wall
100 Culture show or investigative fly on wall
1030 Newsnight
1100- Reruns

This is the BBC in 2008, you can check on website the only diffrence this week is wimbledon!
Not good is it?
:eek:

CDM Jun 26th 2008 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by mydearboy1 (Post 6505536)
Please tell me what programmes are worth watching on bbctv, as i havent seen many for years.

An average evening on BBC1would be
530 Soap
600 News
630 local news
700 Magazine Chat show
730 Soap
800 Old rerun or another soap (holby etc)
900-1000 usualy 2 fly on the wall docs such as (on the fiddle, worlds fatest people etc)
1000 News
1030 Current affairs programme or Really old film.

BBC2
530 kids
600 quizzzes
700 sport roundup
800 Fly on wall
900 Fly on wall
100 Culture show or investigative fly on wall
1030 Newsnight
1100- Reruns

This is the BBC in 2008, you can check on website the only diffrence this week is wimbledon!
Not good is it?
:eek:

I wouldn't base your conclusions on 1 day's viewing form 2 channels.

Have you lived abroad? Do you have experience in watching what's on TV abroad? Until you have, you won't truly understand.

- CDM

mydearboy1 Jun 26th 2008 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by CDM (Post 6505883)
I wouldn't base your conclusions on 1 day's viewing form 2 channels.

Have you lived abroad? Do you have experience in watching what's on TV abroad? Until you have, you won't truly understand.

- CDM

Yes i have in over 12 countries (ex forces).
By the way that is not based on 1 days viewing it is a standered day of any week on the bbc (of which this thread is about).

I used to think the BBC was a great service but in recent years it struggles to compete with even the worse satalite chanells available. The BBc did not get publicaly humiliated and fined for nothing last week you know!!!!!

CDM Jun 26th 2008 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by mydearboy1 (Post 6505937)
Yes i have in over 12 countries (ex forces).
By the way that is not based on 1 days viewing it is a standered day of any week on the bbc (of which this thread is about).

I used to think the BBC was a great service but in recent years it struggles to compete with even the worse satalite chanells available. The BBc did not get publicaly humiliated and fined for nothing last week you know!!!!!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I can't really help it if you happen to not like what they broadcast. All I can say is that my experience differs from yours. Each to their own.

- CDM