Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More than Brissie, Mel and Perth

More than Brissie, Mel and Perth

Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice
Default More than Brissie, Mel and Perth

Hi all,

Been lurking on board for past few years, answered couple of posts but question? Most of you live in or near the big cities. Is there anyone on here who lives rural/remote? I live on the Far west Coast of South Australia (everyone now going for the maps!) in a town called Ceduna, the last major town before WA border, I haven't got Woolies, Coles, fast food, or a train line!
It takes a full day to drive to Adelaide, the nearest K Mart is 4 hours drive.

I've been on the west coast for 6 years in Sept, love every min of it, wouldn't move back to the UK if you paid me. It is so different living in the remote areas than the city, we can leave our houses and cars unlocked, kids can walk through the town with no hassle, visited the city a few times, couldn't wait to get back out! The only other "city" i would consider living in is Darwin, 'cos its just a big country town.
What are your views?
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More than Brissie, Mel and Perth

Originally Posted by invictia
Hi all,

Been lurking on board for past few years, answered couple of posts but question? Most of you live in or near the big cities. Is there anyone on here who lives rural/remote? I live on the Far west Coast of South Australia (everyone now going for the maps!) in a town called Ceduna, the last major town before WA border, I haven't got Woolies, Coles, fast food, or a train line!

I've been on the west coast for 6 years in Sept, love every min of it, wouldn't move back to the UK if you paid me. It is so different living in the remote areas than the city, we can leave our houses and cars unlocked, kids can walk through the town with no hassle, visited the city a few times, couldn't wait to get back out! The only other "city" i would consider living in is Darwin, 'cos its just a big country town.
What are your views?
Hi Invictia,

Many years ago (Im an aussie ) I used to live on a property 600 miles west of Brisbane. Like you, I loved it. It took us 12 hrs to drive to Brisbane, the closest shop was 60 miles away, the closest supermarket (and people complain that the supermarkets in the cities arent anywhere near as good as Tescos!) was Towoomba which was a 10 hrs drive away & the closest fast food (in the form of KFC) was a 6 hr drive in Roma (thats each way!). The property was always left unlocked (even when we went to the "big smoke" for a fortnight) & people in general were more honest.

We now live in the city (in fact less than 10kms from the CBD), but luckily on an acreage block in an acreage area. Despite loving our house & the area we live in, lets just say that if I had my way, we wouldnt live here . Country towns invariably have their own social problems, but in general its a great lifestyle.

There are a few people on the forum who live in places like Cairns which I guess is about on a par with Darwin. But I think you'll find that the majority of the people on this board are more interested in the size of house they can get as close to the beach as possible whilst still being able to earn lots of $ in the big city. Not sure if Ceduna would suit most of the people on here who miss Next & M&S .
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:45 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

What are your views?
Well, I actually do know where Ceduna is as my sister in law is from there and she's been living there again for the past two years with my nephew and brother-in-law... moved to Queensland though couple of months ago .

Anyway, back to the original question. Been living in regional WA for six years now, first 18mths in Bunbury, nice place, just a tad bit too close to my mother-in-law so now we're really happy living in Busselton. About 240km south of Perth, really nice town, not too little (as in not everyone around town know our gossip ...) but small enough where it's really easy to make friends, meet people etc. Kids play outside safely, people still chat to complete strangers whilst at bank/shop/any other queues etc.

We go to Perth couple of times a year, traffic gives us headaches and makes us love Busso even more! Mind you, we have most shop here, just in smaller scale, though that's only changed in the past couple of years with development.

Not a big city person so quite happy in smaller place
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
But I think you'll find that the majority of the people on this board are more interested in the size of house they can get as close to the beach as possible whilst still being able to earn lots of $ in the big city. Not sure if Ceduna would suit most of the people on here who miss Next & M&S .
There probably is a lot of that but also I just know that it would be way too quiet for me. I would worry that the girls wouldn't have enough to keep them occupied (over years not weekly) and would want to move away as soon as they were old enough.

Most people need (expect ) to live close to CBD's for their work and there is a limit to the number of jobs available in country towns like you are both describing. When you come from a densely populated country like Britain, it is beyond most people to understand how they could live a day's drive from a large shop let alone a take away, cinema, etc etc.

There are probably quite a few people who would want to live in remote areas but they are possibly not the sort of people who spend much time in internet forums
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:27 am
muddy member

downshifter is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

What are your views?

This is one of the most interesting threads I have read on here for a long time! Nice to get away from house size, 4x4 and clothes shops!!!

Tell us more! Do you do huge shops and have a freezer, are you quite self sufficient?

Was it hard to settle into the small town and relate to the locals?

What sort of services do you have? ie: nearest hospitals, flying doctors??

Look forward to hearing about your lifestyle if you don't mind sharing!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I "lived" in Geraldton for 6 months (first set of traffic lights after leaving Perth, about 5 hours drive away) I loved it, made lifelong friends there, but the eclosed feeling drove me nuts. And god, it was stinking hot

I love semi rural living as its the best of all worlds, nice size block, close to amenities, good choice of schools and close enough to the city for the footie.

Its horses for courses and no one should be bagged for enjoying any quality of life they choose.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

What are your views?
Hi...Now that sounds like the sort of place we want to move to...

C
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:52 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hevs
I "lived" in Geraldton for 6 months (first set of traffic lights after leaving Perth, about 5 hours drive away) I loved it, made lifelong friends there, but the eclosed feeling drove me nuts. And god, it was stinking hot

I love semi rural living as its the best of all worlds, nice size block, close to amenities, good choice of schools and close enough to the city for the footie.

Its horses for courses and no one should be bagged for enjoying any quality of life they choose.
I'm hearing ya Hevs.

2.5 years to go and we are out of here, you realy should get over tho, the place is taking off, even in the last year it has grown loads.

Still not sure how I'd feel if we didn't live in the CBD, maybe i'd like it more.

Kala
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:00 am
muddy member

downshifter is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hevs

I have not "bagged" anyone for anything....just saying it is nice to read about a different way of life......
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I'm hearing ya Hevs.

2.5 years to go and we are out of here, you realy should get over tho, the place is taking off, even in the last year it has grown loads.
LOL, has Anne told you to nag me too? I know i know, but theres so much to see and so little time......

Where are you headed when you get your release papers?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We are in cairns, well, just outside of, northern beaches. When ste was here 13 odd years ago, it was a one horse town...not anymore...mass development and consumerism!!! If I had my way, we'd be living on T.I!!!! I've seen a few jobs for ste up there, isolated and beautiful. just got to spend a while longer persuading him. I'm working on it....
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:31 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

What are your views?
derrrrrrrrr...see below

Last edited by Pants; Aug 10th 2005 at 10:33 am.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:32 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

What are your views?
Hello there Invictia

It seems ages since I last saw a post from you. Sounds like life is good for you

Last time I thought you were heading of to Darwin with the kids.....now how out of date am I??

I can't imagine how it must feel to live in a place like that but it doesn't sound bad that's for sure. It's great reading posts like this, not the typical thread.

Refreshing to read about those who don't live in the "big smoke"....

anymore???
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Originally Posted by downshifter
This is one of the most interesting threads I have read on here for a long time! Nice to get away from house size, 4x4 and clothes shops!!!

Tell us more! Do you do huge shops and have a freezer, are you quite self sufficient?

Was it hard to settle into the small town and relate to the locals?

What sort of services do you have? ie: nearest hospitals, flying doctors??

Look forward to hearing about your lifestyle if you don't mind sharing!
Hi,
We have a fairly large Foodland store here (I work in it!) we have a hospital, no dentist though! The flying doctor services our area as well, we have ambulance station manned by volunteers, it is hard to be accepted by the locals, you have to be dead to be a local here! Its fairly friendly, but everyone knows your business here, and if they dont they make it up! This place survives on rumours! But apart from that its a fairly OK place to live, dont miss the fast food, but it would be good to have the large K Mart, Big W, Target type of stores a bit closer!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pants
Hello there Invictia

It seems ages since I last saw a post from you. Sounds like life is good for you

Last time I thought you were heading of to Darwin with the kids.....now how out of date am I??

I can't imagine how it must feel to live in a place like that but it doesn't sound bad that's for sure. It's great reading posts like this, not the typical thread.

Refreshing to read about those who don't live in the "big smoke"....

anymore???
Hi Pants,
Nice to know you remember me, yes I did go to Darwin, couldn't get anywhere decent to live or a job so came back to old town and old job! Hubbie and I have reconciled and he will be home in a couple of weeks, so things are starting to look better, been a bad year so hopefully next year will be better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.