British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   more than 2 yrs on passport? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/more-than-2-yrs-passport-686306/)

jomac1290 Sep 21st 2010 8:42 am

more than 2 yrs on passport?

Just a quick one,is it true that you need a minimum of 2 yrs on your passport before expiry.Thanks in advance.

Pollyana Sep 21st 2010 8:53 am

Re: more than 2 yrs on passport?

Originally Posted by jomac1290 (Post 8864096)
Just a quick one,is it true that you need a minimum of 2 yrs on your passport before expiry.Thanks in advance.

To do what, specifically? :confused:

tartankoala Sep 21st 2010 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8864123)
To do what, specifically? :confused:

That's what I thought. What's expiring? I have some milk that's going to expire in 3 days, I have over 2 years left on my passport. Am i OK?

Pollyana Sep 21st 2010 9:30 am

Originally Posted by tartankoala (Post 8864132)
That's what I thought. What's expiring? I have some milk that's going to expire in 3 days, I have over 2 years left on my passport. Am i OK?

You'll be fine as long as you finish the milk and dispose of the container before your passport expires ;)

cresta57 Sep 21st 2010 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jomac1290 (Post 8864096)

No.

Take a look here at the U.K Passport site http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ce-by-country/

"Six months" is not the same in each country. Some nations count the expiration date as six months from the date of entry into their country, while others use the scheduled departure date as the six-month marker. Brazil, Israel, Malaysia and Indonesia use six months from the date of entry; Paraguay, Romania, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands use six months from date of departure
Source

Dorothy Sep 21st 2010 11:12 am

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! I only have 3 months left on my passport. What am I going to do? Are the passport police going to come and take me away? How can they if I don't have a valid passport? It's all so confusing. :eek:

jomac1290 Sep 21st 2010 5:14 pm

To Clarify my husband meant in order to emigrate to Australia. Some sites suggest your passport must have 2 years left before expiry and ours will be around 15months. We are trying to avoid the cost of five new British passports as we wont be visiting UK for at least 18 months.

Glad that his post gave you some light hearted humour anyway. Typical man presumes we all know what he means lol

Jo x

Pollyana Sep 21st 2010 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by jomac1290 (Post 8865662)
To Clarify my husband meant in order to emigrate to Australia. Some sites suggest your passport must have 2 years left before expiry and ours will be around 15months. We are trying to avoid the cost of five new British passports as we wont be visiting UK for at least 18 months.

Glad that his post gave you some light hearted humour anyway. Typical man presumes we all know what he means lol

Jo x

Hi,
No you don't need 2 years on a passport in order to emigrate. DIAC advise that it might make things easier if there is enough time to get the visa granted, and move, without having to renew the passport, but it isn't a big problem/ If you do need to renew one you just supply the new passport details to DIAC :)
You just need to be careful when flying over, as if you have a stopover the country where you stop may want a certain length of time, eg 6 months, on the passport - as in Cresta57's post. Singapore for example wants a passport that is valid for 6 months after you depart there.

And one point to bear in mind - its easier, quicker and cheaper to renew a British passport in the UK than it is in Australia :)

jomac1290 Sep 21st 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks a million. Jeez cheaper in UK it must really be a rip off in Australia then as its expensive enough here. Thanks for all information, will bear it in mind.

Jo x

Dorothy Sep 21st 2010 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by jomac1290 (Post 8865793)
Thanks a million. Jeez cheaper in UK it must really be a rip off in Australia then as its expensive enough here. Thanks for all information, will bear it in mind.

Jo x

It may seem expensive, but it's valid for 10 years. A couple of hundred dollars over 10 years is really a bargain.