Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More shipping questions!!

More shipping questions!!

Old Jul 10th 2003, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More shipping questions!!

How do the shipping companies do their quotes when they come around? Do we have to have pretty much everything boxed up so that they can easily estimate the volume? We're not taking much furniture, but will have boxes of stuff, plus all the kitchen items that most definitely wouldn't be packed away when we get the estimators in? What happens if they make an estimate then it ends up being more or less volume?

Just wondered how it worked, since of course we'll be wanting to give them lots and lots of notice.

thanks
Donna
Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More shipping questions!!

Originally posted by DonnaS
How do the shipping companies do their quotes when they come around? Do we have to have pretty much everything boxed up so that they can easily estimate the volume? We're not taking much furniture, but will have boxes of stuff, plus all the kitchen items that most definitely wouldn't be packed away when we get the estimators in? What happens if they make an estimate then it ends up being more or less volume?

Just wondered how it worked, since of course we'll be wanting to give them lots and lots of notice.

thanks
Donna
You don't need anything packed up, they make an estimate of the volume that you will need, by what they see. Bear in mind, they use dead space ie. chairs become boxes and "filler" can be placed in. Fridges become packing cupboards for all that tupperware etc.

I think your main concern is if they tell you it will be a very tight container, but they should fit everything in, you may come unstuck on the day.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that info.

We're probably not going to be anywhere near a container, so may well be going for shared container, but clearly the shippers should know what they're talking about.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:33 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DonnaS
Thanks for that info.

We're probably not going to be anywhere near a container, so may well be going for shared container, but clearly the shippers should know what they're talking about.
Just some info that may save you a packet;

Get a quote from "excess baggage company" there worldwide shippers and they are now doing International removals.

These guys are the major excess baggage company for all BAA Airports, you'll see them at Heathrow, Gatwick etc, so there Kosher.

I was quoted £1,660 inc VAT and all customs charges and packing - yes for that price they'll pack it and supply all the packaging materials as well as delivery to your new address.

I found them nearly £800 cheaper than the next major shipper for the cubic footage quoted - ours is 380 cubic feet, that includes a 3 seater and chair as well toys, clothes, personal effects plus the bbq and garden tools etc.

Your given a complete inventory of all goods, and you can check your containers progress on line as well.

Give them a call or estimate your move on line at there website:

www.excessbaggage.com

Call in London: 0800 7831085

Cheers - Mark

Last edited by mark19964; Jul 10th 2003 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mark

That certainly sounds like a good deal. I was going to contact them anyway with respect to sending some stuff separately by either sea or air freight ( complicated situation - 3 months in OZ, but final destination NZ, and need some stuff for Oz). I might even get a better deal if I use them for this and standard shipping.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, we've just agreed for Excess Baggage to do our shipping. We haven't got a huge amount of stuff but they quoted us £680 compared to £920 from another company. They've also been brilliant in contacting us promptly and explaining everything. Thoroughly recommended.