Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More road deaths in WA

More road deaths in WA

Old Mar 20th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down More road deaths in WA

I had to chuckle to myself in disbelief last night watching 7 news...

First two or three stories about the carnage on the roads at the weekend, and there was our illustrious premier twittering on about how he's going to make fines tougher in an attempt to prevent deaths.

Then the next story is about some hoon twat who was street racing with his mate and ended up killing some poor innocent sod on his way home from work. He got a 20 month sentence, reduced to 10 months and back dated to December 2006 so he'll end up serving about 7 months (assuming he is being banged up, not sure if it was just a driving ban?)

The worst of it was not only did he kill this bloke but since that accident he's been done several more times for driving offences.

Where is the incentive for hoons and the like NOT to drive dangerously when this is the extent of the law coming down on them?

Personally I think if someone has killed someone else by driving recklessly (e.g. street racing at 140kph) they should lose their licence for life.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 2:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More road deaths in WA

I saw it too, and agree.

What about all the old jalopies on the road (like my 89 Falcon).

I can't believe how many cars I see each day with no tail lights.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a car at the weekend, young P plater - the car looked like it had been in a serious prang, front all smashed up, yet he was just driving around as normal!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I took my car in for repair yesterday (just a few superficial scratches) and couldn't believe the crashed cars in the garage. They looked horrific - god knows how they would even repair them (or how anybody survived the crashes).
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

I listen to the Country WA ABC, almost every Monday morning people phone in to condem young drivers and their clueless, stupid driving. If there is a really shocking weekend then Carl O'Callahan makes an appearance. His response this week is a real cracker....... We are going to move more speed camera's to the country !! FFS, does he really believe the words he says ?

Tell me if you will how speed camera's are going to change the way idiots drive on the road ??

Has anyone here actually seen a speed camera on a dangerous badly lit bend ? Of course none of you have, you won't of course because people have to slow down for bends, and if they are slowing down....... how are the Police going to raise money ??

How many of you have had the pleasure of driving at night here in the Country. Long, long long straights with no lighting anywhere on fast roads with virtually no white lines in the centre, no cats eyes, no white lines on the edge and always on the lookout for bouncing animals. Then add in a bit of rain so you have virtually no idea where the side of the road is and in my eyes you have disasters waiting to happen.

What about driver training. I've never had the pleasure of learning in Australia (apart from my Truck licence). I had already got my Motorbike and Car licence in England. What I find amazing here is that you can put a teenager behind the wheel of any size car/engine/performance without the need for any insurance after having never been in charge of anything more powerful than a bicycle ! Is it any wonder that young people full of hormones are killing themselves at such an alarming rate ?

Anyway, enough of my little rant ! Say a prayer for the families of the 9 who died this weekend and hope beyond all hope that those good old speed cameras really do the business this weekned !
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:04 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Gotta admit its a bit of a joke sometimes here. There is a roundabout close to us, which I have to say the entrance from Joondalup drive is at a very strange angle. I constantly hear cars hitting the signs as they hit the roundabout at a weird angle and then go smacking into the lamp post, this is a huge lamp post by the way. The shire in an effort have put a small warning sign sort of thing at the base of it in the vain attemp to make it more visable but I can guarantee it will get hit again shortly.
The lighting at this junction is terrible, combined with the angle of the approach onto the roundabout just makes for disaster. A few more lights would be nice and cats eyes would be fab.
Jenny
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I early came a cropper this morning taking my husband to the station. I was at the junction pulling out of my suburb onto a dual carriageway. As I went to pull out because there was nothing in the lane closest to me on the dual carriageway a car suddenly decided he was going to undertake and nearly took my front end out. I have never been so scared in my entire life. He then decided further up that he wanted to rejoin the other lane as he was going onto the freeway south, bloody idiot.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep, I drive in the country on a regular basis and I totally agree with what you're saying Santa. I was amazed with the darkness of the roads, particularly the SW Highway which is one of the main routes down from Perth: no cats eyes either which makes it very difficult to see, and even worse when it's raining.

Like you say, speed cameras are not going to help. Drivers need educating on how to drive properly, i.e. dont drive 1cm from the car in front's boot, dont cut in too early after overtaking, basic stuff that could save lives.

I also cant understand letting P platers and other inexperienced drivers have V8s and powerful cars like that, surely it's just asking for trouble?

All in all