Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More laptop advice please

More laptop advice please

Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default More laptop advice please

As our laptop broke in the move (thanks Allied Pickfords) the insurance company is offering us in the region of $1700 to replace it. As my wife will need to use it for occasional work reasons (marketing) we know that we will need Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook etc and as we have a wireless router we will need inbuilt wireless capability. We'll also need a DVD player and burner and may want to play the TV through the screen but is there anything else we should be looking at ?

My wife is likely to use it most days just to receive/play Radio 2 (don't ask !), to access the internet and emails and twice a week be able to use a webcam to the Grandparents back in blighty.

Would greatly appreciate any help/advice on models, software or other stuff we should ensure we have - neither of us are particularly pc literate.

Cheers !
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More laptop advice please

Harvey Norman have a Toshiba Satellite M50-S001 Notebook for $1799 that ticks all your boxes and should prove to be sufficiently future-proof to last you a few years. They're also doing a Toshiba Satellite M70/F00 Notebook - not quite as powerful, but still a nice machine and retails for $1499. You should always haggle though - you'll get between 5 and 10% off if you as the right questions. Had a quick look at The Good Guys and Bing Lee, but there's not much of interest at either. Actually - just checked out Dell - and I think one of these is probably your best bet.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:07 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hutch
Harvey Norman have a Toshiba Satellite M50-S001 Notebook for $1799 that ticks all your boxes and should prove to be sufficiently future-proof to last you a few years. They're also doing a Toshiba Satellite M70/F00 Notebook - not quite as powerful, but still a nice machine and retails for $1499. You should always haggle though - you'll get between 5 and 10% off if you as the right questions. Had a quick look at The Good Guys and Bing Lee, but there's not much of interest at either. Actually - just checked out Dell - and I think one of these is probably your best bet.
I'd second the Toshy. Great laptops that are built to last. I'd buy one myself if I could warrant replacing my existing laptop.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys, much appreciated
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

I'm an IT Manager and I buy Toshiba laptops for all of my execs and would not hesitate in recommending them.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

ASUS doing good deals, and they offer 2 year international warranty
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice

Once you go MAC; you never go back!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...k&mco=D1EB92FB