Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More Britons look for a better life Down Under

More Britons look for a better life Down Under

Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:15 am
Banned

waterlooo will become famous soon enough
Default More Britons look for a better life Down Under

They've got the Ashes, a beach lifestyle, and prawns sizzling on the barbie. We've got crime, high house prices and large school classes.

And that, according to Australia, is why the number of Britons emigrating Down Under has almost tripled in four years. Figures released by the Australian government show that 23,290 "settlers" made the move in 2005/06, the biggest annual total since the 1980s and more than 2½ times the 8,749 who went in 2001/02.

Attempting to explain the trend, a senior Australian politician said that crime levels, the terrorist threat and the housing market were all factors.

advertisement
Steve Bracks, premier of the state of Victoria, which is centred on Melbourne, said that even sporting disasters such as this year's Ashes cricket series, in which England lost 5-0, can encourage Britons to emigrate.

He said: "It is obviously of great interest to people in the UK that a small nation can do so well in sport. They see that we have so many opportunities for young people to develop, and they want to have opportunities for their families."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...03/nmove03.xml
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Britons look for a better life Down Under

Bless him. Only a little naive perhaps
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waterlooo
They've got the Ashes, a beach lifestyle, and prawns sizzling on the barbie. We've got crime, high house prices and large school classes.

And that, according to Australia, is why the number of Britons emigrating Down Under has almost tripled in four years. Figures released by the Australian government show that 23,290 "settlers" made the move in 2005/06, the biggest annual total since the 1980s and more than 2½ times the 8,749 who went in 2001/02.

Attempting to explain the trend, a senior Australian politician said that crime levels, the terrorist threat and the housing market were all factors.

advertisement
Steve Bracks, premier of the state of Victoria, which is centred on Melbourne, said that even sporting disasters such as this year's Ashes cricket series, in which England lost 5-0, can encourage Britons to emigrate.

He said: "It is obviously of great interest to people in the UK that a small nation can do so well in sport. They see that we have so many opportunities for young people to develop, and they want to have opportunities for their families."

Yep, Australia has zero crime, dirt cheap houses and state schooling has absolutely no problems.
Rugby?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

...and it also works in reverse. Australia has one of the highest percentages of its citizens living overseas - and guess which country has the biggest share of these.....yup, Blighty.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:53 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

advertisement

Good post mate, but...

I would hasten to add, that a good proportion of Australias major CBD's can rival and beat hands down the equivalent uk home. So the thought of coming to DE PROMISED LAND aint really as colourful as some ppl think !

Crime, well.. read aussie news, today a couple with 6 kids arrested for keeping a 12 kilo 6 yr old in a cot in garage !!!

And Why a BRIT would wanna move somewhere for sporting reasons ( spectator wise ) is beyond me, as most brits like football.. and so moving away from their fave team, would be more of a wrench than trying to find a pub in Oz that screens UK matches at AUSSIE times
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:25 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
...and it also works in reverse. Australia has one of the highest percentages of its citizens living overseas - and guess which country has the biggest share of these.....yup, Blighty.
True, but the situation is completely different.

The vast majority of those Aussie's living in Britain haven't got any desire to make a new life there permanently.

I wonder why.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
True, but the situation is completely different.

The vast majority of those Aussie's living in Britain haven't got any desire to make a new life there permanently.

I wonder why.
Nor have a fair number of the Brits living in Aus after they've been here for a couple of years
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nor have a fair number of the Brits living in Aus after they've been here for a couple of years
I was waiting for you to say that.

Buzzy
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

advertisement

LOL, is that the same Steve Bracks who the following month resigned and is out there with the also resigned Premier of QLD looking for prime jobs overseas
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:29 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I believe that is a statistic in general fro emigrants who come to Australia with the intention to make it a permanent move.

I recall reading about the percentage who will move back to their country of origin within 3 years of their move for one reason or another, but for the life of me I cannot remember the figure....

I do remember noting that it seemed quite high.

Anybody know that figure or have any link to the offical stats on that ?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
I believe that is a statistic in general fro emigrants who come to Australia with the intention to make it a permanent move.

I recall reading about the percentage who will move back to their country of origin within 3 years of their move for one reason or another, but for the life of me I cannot remember the figure....

I do remember noting that it seemed quite high.

Anybody know that figure or have any link to the offical stats on that ?

You'll find the info on www.immi.gov.au just search for 'settlers details' and they'll appear.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
You'll find the info on www.immi.gov.au just search for 'settlers details' and they'll appear.
Thanks Wendy. I had stomped around that section of immi, but could not find this particular stat which I had found some while ago on an alternate site.

I just remember it seemed to be a suprisingly large percentage and if anyone has that number and can publish it here, I'm sure some people would find it quite sobering.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
Thanks Wendy. I had stomped around that section of immi, but could not find this particular stat which I had found some while ago on an alternate site.

I just remember it seemed to be a suprisingly large percentage and if anyone has that number and can publish it here, I'm sure some people would find it quite sobering.

I'm not even going there! I always get shouted at
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm not even going there! I always get shouted at
ah ok - found it on...
http://australiaemigrationsecrets.com/members/
"1 in 8 Brits are up and emigrating from Australia within two years of arriving"

Last edited by @boy; Nov 12th 2007 at 8:53 am.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:09 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Should be worth pointing out that out of all the people in the UK who have considered migration, how many of those would gain entitlement to a PR visa in any other English speaking country in the world.

Australia is actually the only choice for most hence I suspect the fascination with migration to here specifically.

As to the number of people returning 12.5% of migrants actually seems low and seems to reinforce the fact that the vast majority of people settle well here. I realise that notion will not appeal to some of the more "unsettled" posters on the board who would like to think that figure is way higher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.