Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More A$'s to the UK£ ... tax issues

More A$'s to the UK£ ... tax issues

Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:34 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default More A$'s to the UK£ ... tax issues

Some might be interested:
http://www.gomatilda.com.au/news/art...?articleid=302

Best regards.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:49 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More A$'s to the UK£ ... tax issues

Originally posted by Alan Collett

Best regards.

certainly food for thought Alan. Was unaware that this could happen.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:50 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi alan,

just a quickie....we arrived here in sept 03.exchange rate approx 2.4.
we now have been given £5,000...money still in uk..most of which my mum owed us and some which she gave us..due to brothers death 2002.

our earnings since arrival have been minimal...less than $20,000 anyway....

i just presumed that the tax office want to know of these funds that we are bringing over before end june anyway..and count them as income??...is this right???..if so would we owe some tax on the money we bring over????

does that make sense??

thanks again

ps...i dont understand jargon....if you answer can you put it in lay mans terms...bit thick when it somes to all this!!!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:54 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, the funds received (ie the £5,000) aren't assessable income - they are a gift of capital. It is the increase in the value of the £5k in A$ terms that is assessable.

Best regards.

Originally posted by yvsie
hi alan,

just a quickie....we arrived here in sept 03.exchange rate approx 2.4.
we now have been given £5,000...money still in uk..most of which my mum owed us and some which she gave us..due to brothers death 2002.

our earnings since arrival have been minimal...less than $20,000 anyway....

i just presumed that the tax office want to know of these funds that we are bringing over before end june anyway..and count them as income??...is this right???..if so would we owe some tax on the money we bring over????

does that make sense??

thanks again

ps...i dont understand jargon....if you answer can you put it in lay mans terms...bit thick when it somes to all this!!!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 10:49 am
Banned

Ozbound7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best regards.
Who has to be notified in advance and how?

Cheers
Old Jun 8th 2004, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Best regards.
Alan

I think I know the answer to this!

Hypothetical situation - should the exchange rate have moved in the other direction, would the ATO 'compensate' those affected eg by allowing losses due to E/R movements to be set off against income?

BTW The Cats are doing a lot better this year, alas to the detriment of the Bulldogs last Sunday!

OzTennis
Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Alan,
thanks for that info...I wonder if you could offer a bit more detail.

My husband and I are going to validate our visas in November and then move to Oz in Feb next year. We are just about to set up Oz bank accounts now.

My questions are:

1) If we move money now but don't move to Oz until Feb, are we ok as far as tax goes or could we end up paying some?

2) Does it make a difference if we get our tax file number in November or February? Does it make a difference in respect of tax that would be paid on money, but also on anything else....just not sure if we should get it in November or wait til Feb.

Thanks for your help,

Salli
Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:03 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

thanks alan.

..so now that the exchange rate is 2.6 ish and was 2.4 ish when we came..its the difference...ie 5,000x 0.2 = 1,000
...so we would be assessed on that amount..what would the tax rate be?????....30% ish???

just trying to work it out thats all...i know i know..we need to get an accountant maybe for this yr...seeing as its our first year end here!!!!........:scared:
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:59 am
Migration Agent

No-one needs to be notified (I assume you are referring to the election to disregard balances totalling less than A$250k).

You prepare an election in the prescribed form and retain it with your tax records in case of future need (ie a tax audit).

Best regards.

Originally posted by Ozbound7
Who has to be notified in advance and how?

Cheers
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:04 am
Migration Agent

Actually ... if there is an exchange loss the new rules allow you to claim it as a tax deduction - which is a change from the old rules when exchange gains and losses were dealt with under the CGT regime.

And it's good to see you acknowledging the Cats win over the Doggies last weekend OzT! Looks like we might make the 8 this year ...

Best wishes.

Originally posted by OzTennis
Alan

I think I know the answer to this!

Hypothetical situation - should the exchange rate have moved in the other direction, would the ATO 'compensate' those affected eg by allowing losses due to E/R movements to be set off against income?

BTW The Cats are doing a lot better this year, alas to the detriment of the Bulldogs last Sunday!

OzTennis
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:33 am
Migration Agent

I'm sure you're not alone - which is one reason why I was surprised at the result of the poll I posted last week:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=233155

Best regards.

Originally posted by seang
certainly food for thought Alan. Was unaware that this could happen.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:37 am
Migration Agent

This is an issue of your tax residency Salli, as until you are tax resident in Australia you aren't affected by these provisions.

Based on your email I would expect you to become tax resident when you make the move to Australia, and not on your validation trip.

I would defer obtaining a TFN until you move to Australia, as doing so earlier infers that you consider you are assessable to Aussie tax from that earlier date.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Salli
Alan,
thanks for that info...I wonder if you could offer a bit more detail.

My husband and I are going to validate our visas in November and then move to Oz in Feb next year. We are just about to set up Oz bank accounts now.

My questions are:

1) If we move money now but don't move to Oz until Feb, are we ok as far as tax goes or could we end up paying some?

2) Does it make a difference if we get our tax file number in November or February? Does it make a difference in respect of tax that would be paid on money, but also on anything else....just not sure if we should get it in November or wait til Feb.

Thanks for your help,

Salli
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:41 am
Migration Agent

That looks about right yvsie, save only to say that the rate of tax will depend on what we accountants call your marginal rate of tax - in other words the rate of tax you pay on your next $1 of assessable income. This will be 30% if the $1,000 is considered to be the top slice of your income and falls into the 30% tax band.

Best regards.

Originally posted by yvsie
thanks alan.

..so now that the exchange rate is 2.6 ish and was 2.4 ish when we came..its the difference...ie 5,000x 0.2 = 1,000
...so we would be assessed on that amount..what would the tax rate be?????....30% ish???

just trying to work it out thats all...i know i know..we need to get an accountant maybe for this yr...seeing as its our first year end here!!!!........:scared:
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:01 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

well that's just great. the rate was closer to 2.9 when i became a tax resident, but i doubt i could claim the difference as an offset now.

i left money (albeit less than au$40,000) in the uk so i had money there for when i went back for visits, etc.

but i was looking at bringing it all over here so i can put it down as deposit on a house. but now the bloody howard government are going to penalise me even though i've lost money by not bringing it all over when i became a tax resident.

b*stards!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:17 am
Migration Agent

Errr ... no, I think you'll find that you can claim a tax deduction if you have lost money in A$ terms. Talk to your accountant, or to my CA colleague in Brisbane John Griffiths on 07 3833 3999 or john - at - gmga - dot - com - dot - au

Best regards.

Originally posted by brisnick
well that's just great. the rate was closer to 2.9 when i became a tax resident, but i doubt i could claim the difference as an offset now.

i left money (albeit less than au$40,000) in the uk so i had money there for when i went back for visits, etc.

but i was looking at bringing it all over here so i can put it down as deposit on a house. but now the bloody howard government are going to penalise me even though i've lost money by not bringing it all over when i became a tax resident.

b*stards!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.