Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moral support needed!

Moral support needed!

Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:15 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Moral support needed!

We are in the process of filling in the TRA forms when it suddenly hit me what a HUGE thing we are doing!

I am already sad at the thought of having to sell our house, which we both absolutely love and thought we would spend the rest of our lives in!

I keep trying to go over the reasons we want to emigrate and look at all the positive aspects to moving to Oz, but I am so scared that we are making a big mistake...

Has anyone else gone through this??

There is no way we can afford to rent the house as we will need the money to set up in Oz...

I guess I just need some moral support or something...
Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:29 am
togooff&things

Default Re: Moral support needed!

Originally posted by bridiej
We are in the process of filling in the TRA forms when it suddenly hit me what a HUGE thing we are doing!

I am already sad at the thought of having to sell our house, which we both absolutely love and thought we would spend the rest of our lives in!

I keep trying to go over the reasons we want to emigrate and look at all the positive aspects to moving to Oz, but I am so scared that we are making a big mistake...

There is no way we can afford to rent the house as we will need the money to set up in Oz...

We've lodged a wee while ago. I feel scared all the time... but I get through it by thinking....changes happen. Stagnancy is the worst thing .....better to go and make a mistake , than never to know and always wish you had. All the time I meet older generation , who had the chance to migrate for a tenner all those years ago, and I've NEVER heard one of them say "and I'm so glad I never went!" Uk is changeing.....it doesn't feel like it's a change for the better. It's hard all over...cos life is hard...but a bit of sunshine might just make it all bearable! We're going with only the money we can get from selling our car and tv ect... no house to sell! In for a penny in for a pound and remember..it may be different to return if it does not work out...but nothing is irreversable! Sunshine, smiles, beaches, better housing, outdoor life for kids, no sour commuters, no wind rain ancd cold (well I'm in Scotland). Go for it....life's too short not to!

(P.S - whats a TRA form - don't think I've got there yet! It's taken us 3 years to get this far....I guess around 6 months to go)

Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:37 am

Thank you, that's all I needed to hear really!

It's extra hard as we are keeping the fact that we are applying a secret from everybody, so no one to talk to....

TRA is the trade skills assessment - you may not need one, depends what type of visa you're going for and what type of employment.

I think I will get a bottle of wine this evening and try and stop worrying...
Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:50 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask what are your reasons for emigrating??What would be your circumstances once you get here..do you have family here etc?What part of OZ are you looking to settle in??

Cheers
P

Last edited by Pants; Jul 24th 2004 at 11:07 am.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 11:04 am
togooff&things

Thank you, that's all I needed to hear really!

It's extra hard as we are keeping the fact that we are applying a secret from everybody, so no one to talk to....

TRA is the trade skills assessment - you may not need one, depends what type of visa you're going for and what type of employment.

I think I will get a bottle of wine this evening and try and stop worrying...

Wow..hard to not be able to chat to friends about it. (Mind you when I told my best mate she just replied "but what about me..what will I do"....that just affirmed my reasons for going really!) You'll know in your heart of hearts what you want and need to do. Just listen to your innerself. If it's nerves..that's really normal..we all go through them...it's a huge step, but change is a good thing. But you'll know deep down... if it's more than just nerves. All I said above I stated from my view point, as I see things. I have no doubt in my mind at all that moving is all I want to do...I have nothing to loose really...your situation may be very different. Don't be afraid to have changed your mind either......nerves is one thing but resentment is another...you have to decide what the real problem is in all honesty. If you truly know in your heart of hearts this is what you want...go for it full ghusto..nerves are all part of that. But if in any doubt about it, have a good talk with yourself or partner and find out what the real issue is. Hope that helps.

Old Jul 24th 2004, 11:12 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

It is a huge process and I'm sure most will have had some doubts about it. Do you have any friends / family in Oz? That's usually the first question people ask me and I have no family there but some friends. As somebody else said, better to move and and if it doesn't turn out how you planned, do something else! Much better than sitting wondering "what if?".

As for the house, it's just bricks and mortar. We love our house but our happiest day of the year so far is accepting an offer on it because we know that means the adventure starts here.

If you are having serious doubts then you need to sit down and weigh up the reasons for wanting to go against the things keeping you here. It's sometimes difficult to rationalise it but if you can trade off one thing against another this way, it could help.

I'm sure it's even harder for you because of the secret. I made a point of telling everybody near the start and feel better for it. 'cept when every f**kin day somebody asks me "how's Australia", to which I reply "it's still there I think" Is there no close friend you could confide in for a bit of moral support?
Old Jul 24th 2004, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Not always a straight forward answer to this one. We are 18 months into the `journey`. House is sold, furniture in storage and we plan to fly on 27/08/04.
The last couple of days have been AWFUL for me. I keep thinking, `I am not going, dont wanna go`. Cant explain as to why it has suddenly hit me.
I have relaly been looking forward to it, and for the past year have been planning.

Think perhaps because things are getting close for us.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 11:28 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Absolutely, loads of other people have gone through it.
For me, (I leave on Monday) I'm moving out there to be with my boyfriend. As much as I do like Australia, I probably wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for him. I'm finding it a very hard thing to do, basically alone, as he's there already. Its got to the point where, like Sandra, I wonder if I'm actually going to do it... second thoughts?? I've had HUNDREDS of them, but the answer is always still to go

I think you just have to keep reminding yourself as to why you're doing it and allow yourself some moments when you perhaps are sad about it. Its only natural, and I'm sure even once you get there it wont be like 'right day one, everythings perfect'. On the whole though I think things will fall into place for you, it just takes time
Old Jul 24th 2004, 11:51 am

thank you for all your posts...

I think it really is just nerves and the whole "what if it goes wrong" thing.

In answer to some of your questions, we dont have any friends or family over there and we're looking to go to Adelaide.

We have many reasons for emigrating and the reasons for going definitely outweigh any reasons for staying.

Guess will just have to put it to the back of my mind and worry about it nearer the time....

I told my best friend only and she said we always have a place to stay when we come back, so think she would try and talk me out of it!!!!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2004, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
People ask us the same thing, we have 3 kids the oldest is starting high school, the youngest starting primary. I have just got a promotion with decent money, we have a lovely 4 bedroom house, settled in the area loads of friends, my wife is just going to go back to work so we have no money worries, we have no debt and decent standard of living.

Why: just take a look at words on the bottom of my post.

Go for it!!!!! and Good luck

Old Jul 24th 2004, 12:01 pm

Originally posted by Dicko
Hi there,
People ask us the same thing, we have 3 kids the oldest is starting high school, the youngest starting primary. I have just got a promotion with decent money, we have a lovely 4 bedroom house, settled in the area loads of friends, my wife is just going to go back to work so we have no money worries, we have no debt and decent standard of living.

Why: just take a look at words on the bottom of my post.

Go for it!!!!! and Good luck

Yes, those are wise words!