mopeds

Old Feb 5th 2003, 5:33 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mopeds

Our 16 yr old son has a moped and I was wondering about the advisability of shipping it over for the following reasons:

1. Shipping - someone made mention of having to eradicate any rust when shipping goods from UK?

2. If we sell it here, cost of replacing when we get to Oz.

3. Safety - various threads have described driving to be erratic at best. Do most teenagers (he will be 17 when we get there) have cars instead?

Any help much appreciated.

Steph
Old Feb 5th 2003, 6:09 pm
Dudley

Default Re: mopeds

Originally posted by Paul and Steph
Our 16 yr old son has a moped and I was wondering about the advisability of shipping it over for the following reasons:

1. Shipping - someone made mention of having to eradicate any rust when shipping goods from UK?

3. Safety - various threads have described driving to be erratic at best. Do most teenagers (he will be 17 when we get there) have cars instead?

Steph
In typical good teenage fashion, anything less than a Monaro GT will be sneared at. A moped would brand him a dork. Might actually be character forming and avoid him taking up with dullards. Would have to be inspected befor being put on the road.

Old Feb 5th 2003, 6:29 pm
Finally made it

Thanks Dudley

Mopeds are all the rage here and they all zip around sounding like a collection of hairdryers!

Haven't got a clue what a Monaro GT is but get the gist of what you're saying.

Think we'll sell it and sort something out when we get there.

Steph
Old Feb 5th 2003, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mopeds

What about us 'oldies'... ! I'm a '40 something' wondering whether to take my moped (but to nz). Don't mind being branded a 'dork'- too thick skinned at my age to worry!
Would like to know whether its worth the bother taking it.
Also, cannot recall seeing even one when we were out in nz
on holiday - are a rarity on nz roads?
Old Feb 5th 2003, 9:21 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Steph
i imported a used motorbike from oz to NZ few yrs back.
in a sentence - it was more trouble than it's worth! you could easily pay the bikes value just in freight, storage & customs fees.
customs can be a hassle too. you're much better to sell it, buy another there. they're cheap especially somewhere like auckland. there are actually clubs in the cities eg the vespa club in auckland has quite a following.

Last edited by travelling_kiwi; Feb 10th 2003 at 9:36 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2003, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

CrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud of

Talking of motorbikes and the like, i was thinking of taking my CBT and A2 license here in the UK. I know you have to take the car driving test again within 3 months (?) after arriving in Oz.

Does the same apply for motorbike licenses?. Any weird and wonderful coditions to getting a bike license in Australia if you have already obtained it in the UK?

chrs
CrunchieFrog
Old Feb 6th 2003, 12:24 am
Dudley

Thanks Dudley

Mopeds are all the rage here and they all zip around sounding like a collection of hairdryers!

Steph
How about getting an old banger car/bike + technical manual and have him fix it up - right age to learn basic mechanics. Of course would have to have basic set of tools. Might find some mates willing to help.

Old Feb 6th 2003, 2:27 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dudley

Steph
Manaro V8 grand-dad car will be the hoon car of tomorrow , no class but a big engine it will be sent to the USA under a Pontac badge , cheap white trash motor may do well but can only sell 18,000 the Yankie unions have put a block on anymore than that.

Old Feb 6th 2003, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Steph
Having experienced the Oz experience of 'what lane should I be in - oh I don't care' syndrom many times in Oz, I would caution the young lad. The Aussies have very little understanding of lane control, and any vehicle less than the size of a 4-by-4 is fair game for being pushed out of the way.

If he wants 2 wheel transport - it would be better to stick with a bicycle on the cycle tracks.

MM

Last edited by madmancunian; Feb 6th 2003 at 7:31 am.
Old Feb 6th 2003, 9:14 am
Dudley

Originally posted by madmancunian
Having experienced the Oz experience of 'what lane should I be in - oh I don't care' syndrom many times in Oz, I would caution the young lad. The Aussies have very little understanding of lane control, and any vehicle less than the size of a 4-by-4 is fair game for being pushed out of the way.

If he wants 2 wheel transport - it would be better to stick with a bicycle on the cycle tracks.

MM
You put your finger on it exactly. In most Aussie cities all motorized transport, including mopeds, must use the streets not the foot path. If you can not keep up with the traffic, you are at much higher risk. All 2 wheels are definitely riskier than 4.

Old Feb 7th 2003, 8:13 pm
Finally made it

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Manaro V8 grand-dad car will be the hoon car of tomorrow , no class but a big engine it will be sent to the USA under a Pontac badge , cheap white trash motor may do well but can only sell 18,000 the Yankie unions have put a block on anymore than that.

Sounds impressive PB but not being vehicle minded I haven't got a clue what you're talking about!!
Old Feb 7th 2003, 8:16 pm
Finally made it

Originally posted by Dudley
How about getting an old banger car/bike + technical manual and have him fix it up - right age to learn basic mechanics. Of course would have to have basic set of tools. Might find some mates willing to help.
Sounds like a good idea Dudley.

Let's face it, if we damage his street cred before he's had the chance to make any mates he'll never forgive us!

As with everything else, we'll see what happens when we get there and play it by ear.

cheers

Steph
Old Feb 8th 2003, 5:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good idea Dudley.

Let's face it, if we damage his street cred before he's had the chance to make any mates he'll never forgive us!

As with everything else, we'll see what happens when we get there and play it by ear.

cheers

Steph
Also, make sure he grows a mullet before you get there.

After all, another phrase to describe this classic Aussie hairdo is "Living the Dream" which, let's face it, applies to us all

see this link http://modernisms.tripod.com/group/id11.html

here is a picture of my boy with his new "four n' twenty", he won't get picked on now....

Dan
Attached Thumbnails mopeds-mullet.jpg  
Old Feb 10th 2003, 12:38 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds impressive PB but not being vehicle minded I haven't got a clue what you're talking about!!

Hard one this put a over sized lawn mower engine V8 in a 2 door poorly built car and you are not far off , then spent all day burning rubber in suburbia and you will have a feel for what a Manaro is , a hoon car made for the typical aussie.

Old Feb 10th 2003, 1:15 am
Dudley

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Hard one this put a over sized lawn mower engine V8 in a 2 door poorly built car and you are not far off , then spent all day burning rubber in suburbia and you will have a feel for what a Manaro is , a hoon car made for the typical aussie.

Come, come PB!!! It is actually a machine designed to improve the human race Darwinistically by sending the insufficiently cautious tatahs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.